E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Question about treatment of windshield wipers after they have been on.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-27-2003, 07:51 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question about treatment of windshield wipers after they have been on.

I have heard that it is a good idea to lift the windshield wipers off the glass and put them back down on to the windshield after driving in the rain to prevent the blades from bending and thus reducing their effectiveness/increasing their wear. Is this true? Are there any other things one should do to prolong wiper blade life?
Old 11-29-2003, 11:10 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
I am totally frustrated with my wipers- I poliched the glass and they did fine- Then I had to have a new windshield and the new one causes the wipers to screech horribly ! I have polished and polished. No avail. Dealer replaced blades and they are worse.

Maybe you have an idea here.
Old 11-29-2003, 12:57 PM

2004 E500
According to my dealer, they recommend (and practive) washing your windshield with a laundry detergent (like Tide) mixed with water to remove any wax build-up commonly accumulated when washing the car (from srpay-ons, automatic car washes, etc.).

When they do that on my car after I complain about the wiper noise, it seems to work for awhile.
Old 11-29-2003, 03:12 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Maybe try DAWN Dishwashing soap all he detailers use to strip wax prior to clay barring ? Hmmmmmmm........
Old 11-29-2003, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
im sure dawn would work, but make sure none of it gets on the paint, dawn shouldnt touch the paint that much at all
Old 11-29-2003, 07:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
this stuff is the best:

http://www.invisibleglass.com/

some auto stores sell it, but its hit or miss from what I have seen. I have never seen invisible glass at walmart for example, even though they are listed:

http://www.moreshine.com/retail.htm

Last edited by nyca; 11-29-2003 at 10:20 PM.
Old 11-30-2003, 05:33 AM

2012 CLS
Without a doubt - the only thing to do with noisy wipers on your e class is to get each wiper arm replaced.

I have had my car for 1 year and in that time have been driven crazy by really noisy wipers that stutter across the screen.

The dealership agreed and in that time i had four (4) sets of new blades. They would clean the glass, and all would be well again for 24 hours. Then the noise would come back.

The solution in the end was to take both wiper arms from an E they had on the showroom floor, and do a swap.

Bliss. They have been on for 2 months and work as they should have done in the first place.

IMO you should not have to use special glass cleaners to make the wipers on a £36,000 car work properly.

Get the whole arm changed as I beleive the spings on mine were too strong and pushing the wipers onto the screen too hard.

Marc
Old 12-01-2003, 04:35 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Wipers

Okay, but my question was more about wiper care. I have no problems with my wipers, and was wondering if there was anything I could to do to help keep it that way. One person once told me to lift the up and place them on the windshiled again after they have been in use to prevent the blades from bending one way.
Old 12-01-2003, 05:35 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 220 CDI T-Model
Frank

I heard this recomendation too, but never did it before. It's true that this procedure prevents the blade being bend in one position. Especially the old technology wipers rumbled when they were bent in the wron position.
This procedure didn't prevent the natural wear out.

Dirk
Old 12-01-2003, 05:39 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 220 CDI T-Model
Originally posted by marc777
Without a doubt - the only thing to do with noisy wipers on your e class is to get each wiper arm replaced.

I have had my car for 1 year and in that time have been driven crazy by really noisy wipers that stutter across the screen.

The dealership agreed and in that time i had four (4) sets of new blades. They would clean the glass, and all would be well again for 24 hours. Then the noise would come back.

The solution in the end was to take both wiper arms from an E they had on the showroom floor, and do a swap.

Bliss. They have been on for 2 months and work as they should have done in the first place.

IMO you should not have to use special glass cleaners to make the wipers on a £36,000 car work properly.

Get the whole arm changed as I beleive the spings on mine were too strong and pushing the wipers onto the screen too hard.

Marc
Noisy wipers are a common problem of the 211. Mercedes Benz Germany published a technical information for the MB garages how to adjust the springs and arms. After following this instruction, the problems disappear without replacing the wiper system.

Dirk
Old 12-01-2003, 11:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
Mercedes-Benz
Frank, that probably would prolong the blade life. On my lexus it only chatters on the upward sweep... on the rental it only chatters on the downward sweep.
Old 12-01-2003, 12:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
DiWi, do you know what the Start bulletin is on the wiper fix, so that we can educate our service departments? My friend has an 03, which is quiet so far, but I suspect it will happen soon.
Old 12-02-2003, 02:25 AM
Almost a Member!

W203 220 CDI T-Model
Originally posted by alewifebp
DiWi, do you know what the Start bulletin is on the wiper fix, so that we can educate our service departments? My friend has an 03, which is quiet so far, but I suspect it will happen soon.
I'm not working in a Mercedes garage. I found the information in a German Mercedes User forum ( http://www.db-forum.de ). If the Aero-Twin wiper is quiet so far, it will be quiet in the future.
As I stated before, there are two facts, that can cause the rateling:
- Incorrect angle of the wipe to the window. It should be 100% orthogonal. This is a common problem of all wiper systems, but also occured on the new 203 (04) and 211.
- Incorrect spring tention. You'll find it also on Volkswagen cars with the Aero-Twin wiper.

Regards
Dirk
Old 12-02-2003, 06:51 AM

my wiper problem was the angle of the wipe to the window. the dealer had no clue which i DON'T understand. i adjusted this myself to fix the problem after 3 wiper replacements. i'm thinking of complaining to mbusa about this issue. it's like the tech don't receive or read the tech notes for known issues.
Old 12-21-2003, 10:42 AM

2003 E320
Originally posted by DiWi
Noisy wipers are a common problem of the 211. Mercedes Benz Germany published a technical information for the MB garages how to adjust the springs and arms. After following this instruction, the problems disappear without replacing the wiper system.

Dirk
I am having the "noisy wiper" syndrome now, I talked to my SA and he said that they would clean the wipers/glass first and if that did not help they would replace them free for the first time.

I suggested an adjustment to the arms and he said there is NO adjustment on the 211's as there are on some of the other models.

any insight here?
Old 12-21-2003, 12:47 PM
lig

was '03 E320 - now - '04 S4
Being in Seattle... the noisy wipers were driving me nuts. Totally unacceptable in a 50K+ plus car...

My dealer replaced the blades and all is well (for now)

I clean my wiper blades with glass cleaner when I fill up the tank.
Old 12-21-2003, 04:46 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2019 Mercedes Benz S500L AMG Premium Plus
Toothpaste has a good impact on removing built-up traffic grime from glass. I did not believe it at first and was reluctant to try it. But it does really work.

Not sure if it will stop cavities with stone chips though!!!