E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Best Fuel Treatment

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 10:23 AM
Super Moderator

Received 177 Likes on 144 Posts
late 2009 CLK 350 Coupe Elegance, '65 Jaguar S Type wires
I certainly know whats in the cleaners. The older generations were polubutene amines & polyetheramines. The latest chemistry is not for public consumption. I would get shot & frankly you can't concoct it cheaply.

EGR & captive crankcase breathers make a mess. DI engines need proper design or an LP injector in the inlet like VAG Group does.

You need to be very careful not to mess with diesels with DPF. Adblue urea compounds are designed to work in conjunction with DPF/regeneration. If you screw up the unit you are in for a large bill. Techron Diesel is safe with DPF.
Old 05-19-2014, 10:07 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by Glyn M Ruck
I certainly know whats in the cleaners. The older generations were polubutene amines & polyetheramines. The latest chemistry is not for public consumption. I would get shot & frankly you can't concoct it cheaply.

EGR & captive crankcase breathers make a mess. DI engines need proper design or an LP injector in the inlet like VAG Group does.

You need to be very careful not to mess with diesels with DPF. Adblue urea compounds are designed to work in conjunction with DPF/regeneration. If you screw up the unit you are in for a large bill. Techron Diesel is safe with DPF.
I had access to mulitiple labs and they considered giving the chemical to me instead of paying someone to remove it as hazardous waste.

I don't have a VW only MBZs, so how does one clean upstead of the combustion chambers?
My 2009 e320 MBZ diesel with DPF does not have the urea. How offen should I put in some Techron Diesel and which one (Dieselmotive, FI cleaner or Fuel system cleaner) into the e320?
Old 05-22-2014, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
CL55, S550, 450SL
Is AC Delco fuel treatment re-labeled techron??
Attached Thumbnails Best Fuel Treatment-997390c65e4c111.jpg  
Old 05-22-2014, 02:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 29 Posts
2003 E500, 2004 G35X
There is really no reason to use any fuel treatment if you use one of the brands listed in the Top Tier Gas. I use BP and Costco in my area. Been using Costco for many years for my previous W211 and current cars.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by MagCL
Is AC Delco fuel treatment re-labeled techron??
No ~ It's an older generation product.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:16 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Flash Gordon
There is really no reason to use any fuel treatment if you use one of the brands listed in the Top Tier Gas. I use BP and Costco in my area. Been using Costco for many years for my previous W211 and current cars.
Most top tier gasolines will do a fair job. They are certainly not all equal. Most do very little for combustion chamber cleanliness. Most will do a reasonable job of keeping the inlet system & injectors clean.
Old 05-22-2014, 03:36 PM
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by dave2001auto
I had access to mulitiple labs and they considered giving the chemical to me instead of paying someone to remove it as hazardous waste.

I don't have a VW only MBZs, so how does one clean upstead of the combustion chambers?
My 2009 e320 MBZ diesel with DPF does not have the urea. How offen should I put in some Techron Diesel and which one (Dieselmotive, FI cleaner or Fuel system cleaner) into the e320?
Benz has been making diesels for a long time & oil control etc. is excellent.

I would add Techron D Concentrate to a tank of fuel every 3 to 5000 miles at the recommended dosage.
Old 05-22-2014, 06:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 396 Likes on 332 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Just did some googling and can't find much on Techron D.
Anyone have a link to a Cheveron or Techron site?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:22 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Originally Posted by N_Jay
Just did some googling and can't find much on Techron D.
Anyone have a link to a Cheveron or Techron site?
http://www.techron.com/
Old 05-22-2014, 06:46 PM

Hmmmm... just spent a few minutes reading that website that I posted:

"If you regularly use a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco and Caltex, you probably don't need Techron® Concentrate Plus. However, should you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, you may need Techron Concentrate Plus to help clean up deposits that can build up over time. In addition, if you have an engine that is sensitive to deposit formation, or if your vehicle is regularly used under severe conditions, you may also benefit from using Techron Concentrate Plus."

"If you have been exclusively using gasoline with Techron® for some time, your car will not be affected by performance-robbing deposits. A bottle of Fuel System Cleaner, therefore, is not likely to provide any additional benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality fuel, you could try the Fuel System Cleaner to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation. "

Anyone want to buy a 20oz bottle cheap? ;-)
Old 05-22-2014, 06:48 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 396 Likes on 332 Posts
2007 W211 E350 4Matic / 2008 X164 GL320 CDI
Originally Posted by Honcho

I must have missed the Techron D on that page? Where can I buy a bottle?
Old 05-22-2014, 06:58 PM

http://www.techron.com/how-does-it-w...d-in-fuel.aspx

http://www.techron.com/where-to-get-...n/default.aspx
Old 05-23-2014, 01:43 AM
Super Moderator

Marketed under the Chevron, Texaco or Caltex brands dependent on market. I can't tell you where to find it in the US.

Attached Thumbnails Best Fuel Treatment-hu3pcaatg1i7.jpg  
Old 05-23-2014, 07:14 PM

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts
84 300d 2009 e320 bluetec
Originally Posted by Honcho
Hmmmm... just spent a few minutes reading that website that I posted:

"If you regularly use a high-quality gasoline such as Chevron, Texaco and Caltex, you probably don't need Techron® Concentrate Plus. However, should you occasionally fill up with lower quality gasoline, you may need Techron Concentrate Plus to help clean up deposits that can build up over time. In addition, if you have an engine that is sensitive to deposit formation, or if your vehicle is regularly used under severe conditions, you may also benefit from using Techron Concentrate Plus."

"If you have been exclusively using gasoline with Techron® for some time, your car will not be affected by performance-robbing deposits. A bottle of Fuel System Cleaner, therefore, is not likely to provide any additional benefits. However, if you sometimes purchase a lower quality fuel, you could try the Fuel System Cleaner to quickly restore performance lost due to deposit accumulation. "

Anyone want to buy a 20oz bottle cheap? ;-)
Where can I get cheap techron and techron-D?
Old 12-05-2020, 05:57 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
mercedes ‘83 300D-T & ‘15 Sprinter 2500
Lucas Fuel additive is great!

Originally Posted by Navish
I'm looking into getting some fuel treatment product for my E320, but cant decide between Techron or Lucas fuel treatment. What do you guys recommend, and is there anything else better than those?
I have been using Lucas fuel additive in all my old cars for about 14 years. Is is different than most other additives in that is is really designed to replace the lead in old gasoline but provide a similar function as a lubricant. A good analogy is the difference between using an astringent on your face (detergent) or a lotion-based cleanser on your face (penetrating lubricant like Lucas)—ask your wife or local aesthetician for clarity if you are not familiar with various facial cleansing methods ;-)

Lucas oil additive works long term for keeping your upper cylinder and head(s) (valves/lifters, etc) lubricated and clean over time by softening the fuel and leaving and slowly penetrating various build-ups on the parts. It will usually quiet noisy lifters etc whitin a few tankful treatments.

it also works immediately to reduce NOX emissions which can help you pass CA smog test by using high octane fuel but counterbalancing the emissions with lower NOX readings.

I put approx 80k miles on my 83 300D turbo using this stuff and their Oil Additive as well. The car ran pretty crappy when I got it. The only thing that really made a difference (I had valves adjusted, etc) was using these two additives over time. After about 5-6k miles it started running much smoother and cleaner.

ive put about 150k miles on my Toyota 4Runner V6 using this stuff religiously since I got it at about 25k miles. It is quiet as a mouse—runs so smooth and perfect at 175k miles and I haven’t had to do any engine tune-up or service at all the whole time. (Knock on wood) *my wife drove it the first 25k we had it and I can’t vouch for the fuel treatment being added every single time and almost certainly did not get oil additive as she got free oil changes at the dealer during that time.

As far as I can tell the Techron additive is a detergent and may help clean things it can also strip things bare—I imagine. Same as SeaFoam etc.

I found this thread because I just bought the Sprinter and was wondering what the deal is in relation to DEF stuff. I haven’t found out much and it doesn’t seem like Lucas oil or any other manufacturer of additives is willing to chime in. I’m going to err on the side of experience and continue using the fuel additive (all the talk about how sensitive the Sprinter motor is supposed to be about oil (and a very experienced Sprinter service shop has warned against it) has got me holding off on using their oil additive for now.