E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Hidden Tricks and Tips List?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 05-25-2014, 01:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
'03 SL55 AMG | 2021 AMG GLE 63s Coupe
Hidden Tricks and Tips List?

Has anyone compiled a list of those little tips and tricks like how to display the battery voltage, oil level, or clear the learned shift points?

The Wiki would have been a great place, but apparently that never took off, and no one has any interest in bringing it to life.

Would be great to have a Sticky Thread with all of these tips in one place.

That all being said.... if anyone has any of those little gems and would like to post it here, I for one would be very grateful.

Assuming there is not already such a thread or list floating around, and if this thread gets enough "tips and tricks", I'll weed them out from the usual thread noise and post a concise list when and if one comes together.

How to access the "Hidden Menu" on the MFD to display battery voltage:

1. With the engine off, enter the vehicle, sit in the driver's seat, and close all the doors.
2. Insert the key into the ignition switch and turn it one click to position "1".
3. Scroll through the menu options in your MFD until it shows the "Standard Display", which is the one with the speed, outside temperature, or FSS (miles to service A/B) options.
4. Press the trip odometer reset stalk three times.
5. The MFD should now display the hidden menu.

Completely disable ESP:

Check oil level:

Check battery and oil:

Last edited by Honcho; 05-25-2014 at 11:48 PM.
Old 05-25-2014, 05:34 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
The tips and tricks as you say are plastered all over the individual forum-----think of one of your questions and do a search-----how many tips and or tricks did you find!!
Old 05-25-2014, 06:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
TCU RESET (I think thats what its called)

1. get into the drivers seat with all doors and windows closed.
2. insert the key on the ignition and turn it into "ON" possition. (NOT STARTING THE CAR)
3. press the ga pedal all the way down and hold for AT LEAST 5 SECONDS.
4. while the gas pedal is depressed, turn the ignition key OFF WITHOUT REMOVING THE KEY FROM THE IGNITION.
5. wait inside the car AT LEAST 2 MINUTES WITHOUT opening the doors or windows. then start the car.
Old 05-26-2014, 01:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
If you hold down the recirc button with all of your windows open, they will all close and if you hold it down again they will go back to the same position they were at even if they were rolled down to different positions. Useful if a truck in front of you just spewed a lot of diesel or the roads get dusty ahead.
Old 05-26-2014, 09:59 AM

Synchronizing

Windows, seats, mirrors, steering wheel position (easy entry/exit) and the like can be reset by running them fully in one direction, holding the switch at full travel for approximately 2 seconds (or longer), then running to the opposite limit, holding for about 2 seconds (or longer). It is not unusual to have to do this after the battery is disconnected. The positioning of many of these features is controlled by a Hall's Effect generator, a simple device that counts revolutions of a motor shaft, and it must be set to register the proper number of turns to reach both limits of travel.

Synchronizing Head Restraints:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the head restraints are no longer adjusted automatically. To resynchronize the adjustment feature, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move the seat completely forward and the head restraint fully down, and hold respective buttons for approximately two seconds.

Synchronizing power windows:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), the windows cannot be opened or closed by the Express feature. To resynchronize the express feature, press side of power window switch to resistance point until the window is completely closed and hold for additional 2 seconds. Repeat procedure for each window. The automatic full opening and closing procedure of the windows should now be restored. (Note: This sometimes works as well for problems with manual operation of the windows, but not always).

Synchronizing sliding/pop-up roof:

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or low), or if the sliding/pop-up roof is blocked during closing/opening procedure, the system has to be synchronized. To do so, turn electronic key in steering lock to position 2, move and hold switch in direction (3), until the sliding/pop-up roof is completely raised at rear, and hold for additional 1 second. If the pop-up roof simply will not open or close all the way after using this procedure, clean the tracks and lubricate them with the MB lubricant made for the purpose.

Global Synchronization of auto open/unlock (windows open/close when car is unlocked/locked):

Global synchronization synchs all of your windows and sunroof so that they all open or close by a single command (pointing the key at the IR receiver in the driver's door handle, and pushing & holding lock or unlock). Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close. This should resynch them. After that, the Smart Key should open or close the windows and sunroof as well as lock or unlock the doors.

Also: Door locks are controlled from the key by radio frequency, and will operate regardless of direction the key is pointed. The auto window/sunroof features are infrared, however, and operate only if the key is pointed at the small square IR receiver in the driver's door handle. The IR range is usually less than the RF range, and can be affected by bright sunlight directly on the door handle.

Synchronizing ESP (ECU):

If the power supply was interrupted (battery disconnected or empty), the BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp may be illuminated with the engine running. Turn steering wheel completely to the left and then to the right. The BAS/ESP malfunction indicator lamp should go out. For more on resetting the entire ECU, see the next post

Synchronizing remote control:

The remote control may have to be resynchronized, if the vehicle cannot be locked or unlocked. To synchronize insert electronic key in steering lock. The remote control should once again be operational."

Synchronizing Steering Column Height/Easy Exit:

Steering wheel height - basically the same procedure, but with a caution. Move your steering column down SLIGHTLY, and if you can then bring it back up to where it started (but not higher), then you need to reset the column with the simple procedure below. HOWEVER, if it goes down slightly, but will not go back up at all, do not try the reset - it probably will go fully down and not come back up! You may not be able to get into the car to drive, if that happens. Get it serviced.

Run the steering column full down, and holding the switch down for about 10 seconds after it reaches the lowest position; then run it back up fully and hold the switch up for about 10 seconds after the column reaches its upper limit of travel. You may need to do this several times. That should reset the limits in the Halls' Effect generator, and your column should function normally.

Seats (easy exit) - try running them to the limits also; however, the seats slide back in the easy exit mode only if they are pretty far forward in the first place. if they are back beyond certain limits (set by Mercedes), not sliding further back is normal operation.

Not all cars have easy exit feature, and those that do must have the option selected in the MFD (instrument cluster) menu.

Resetting Automatic Windshield Wiper Function

First, pull and reseat your windshield wiper relays (locations are on the fuse diagram usually found in the tool compartment in your spare tire well).

With engine running and all passenger doors closed, starting at 0 turn on wipers to #3 position, then put the switch in the 0 position then put it in the auto #1 (rain sensor position) then have someone splash water on the windshield as the doors have to be closed to reset this function. Then they should function normally.
Old 05-26-2014, 10:21 AM

Recalibrate stored memory settings (Not a real ECU reset)

Faults should be cleared by Dealer.
Don't do this on a cabriolet, as the reset steps are not listed for those extra components.
If there is something more complicated than an electrical memory setting fault, this procedure could make it worse.

Preparation Steps:

1. Make sure your steering wheel is not turned to either side.
2. Make sure your windows are all the way up
3. Make sure your sun roof is completely closed
4. make sure your parking brake is released
6. Turn off your stereo.
7. Make sure you have your stereo's Anti-theft code
8. Turn off your heat/AC blower
9. Turn off your lights
10. Make sure your door are UNLOCKED.
11. READ THE WHOLE PROCEDURE BEFORE GETTING STARTED

Reset Steps:
Open your trunk and disconnect the negative side of your battery, wait 30 seconds then reconnect it.

Post-Reset Steps

Turn the key to position 2 (DO NOT START YOUR ENGINE)

1. Resetting your windows: Bring down both windows at the same time by holding the switches just before the click that brings them down automatically. Once both windows are all the way down make both switches click by pressing them all the way down. This lets the ECU learn that that is the end of the window track and it records it in memory. Do the same closing the windows by holding both switches and making them click once the windows are all the way up. If you didn't do the windows correctly at first, turn key to position two without re-disconnecting the battery and redo the hold procedure correctly. Hold them switched down for 10 seconds.

2. Turn on your blower and make both sides go to 72 deg. by pressing both up and down buttons at the same time. This will calibrate the sensor

3. Turn on your stereo and enter you stereo code. if you don't have it. you can forget about listening to the radio. Get it from the dealer.

4. Pull the sun roof all the way back and all the way forward then up and then down

6. Turn all you lights on and off, including your fog lights

7. Turn the key back to position 0.

8. Turn on your engine. You will get 2 malfunctions, your ABS and ESP systems must be calibrated.

9. Calibrate your ABS and ESP systems by turning the steering wheel all the way to your RIGHT and then all the way to your LEFT. then bring it back to the middle. Notice the two yellow lights disappear from you dashboard.

10. Let your car run in idle for about 5 minutes and then take it for a spin. Remember all the sensors on your car are relearning so drive slowly first then faster... and so on.

Last edited by Honcho; 05-26-2014 at 10:24 AM.
Old 05-28-2014, 02:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts
2014 BMW M235i
Not a trick per say but an interesting feature:

The 5G-Tronic (722.6) and the 7G-Tronic (722.9) transmissions have two reverse gears. The most logical and confirmed reason for this is sport/comfort or standard/winter modes - depending on the market - which have different reverse ratios to help you get unstuck in certain situations. Other reasons I've heard from this forum include reverse drag racing and running from the cops
Old 05-31-2014, 10:46 AM

Moon roof reset:

https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...inch-time.html
Old 06-06-2014, 06:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2011 E350 4matic
Cool tips!
Old 06-06-2014, 09:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E320
Originally Posted by AMGAffalterbach
Not a trick per say but an interesting feature:

The 5G-Tronic (722.6) and the 7G-Tronic (722.9) transmissions have two reverse gears. The most logical and confirmed reason for this is sport/comfort or standard/winter modes - depending on the market - which have different reverse ratios to help you get unstuck in certain situations. Other reasons I've heard from this forum include reverse drag racing and running from the cops
Lol! Reverse drug race!
Old 06-06-2014, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
W211 E550
I cannot get to the oil page on my 2007 E550, or it does not exist. I have tried MANY different combinations of button pushing once I put the key into position 1, and no dice....

I cant tell you just HOW many times I have watched those videos, which all seem to be on 2006 and back E Class models
Old 06-07-2014, 09:10 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Its not there. Electronic oil level reading was replaced by a dipstick in 2007.
Old 06-07-2014, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
Its not there. Electronic oil level reading was replaced by a dipstick in 2007.
I prefer the dipstick. Best thing you can check without ignition on.
Old 07-15-2014, 01:34 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E350
Following!
Old 07-16-2014, 01:09 PM

2007 E350 RWD SP1 (M211.056/E272.964)
Storing and activating exterior rear view mirror parking position for 07 E350. I have been trying follow the manual page 137 to store rear view mirror parking position, but never work. Is this option still there for my car?
Old 07-16-2014, 02:39 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Have you been able to save the seat positions??------and what happens to the mirrors when a new seat position is called up??

Last edited by Plutoe; 07-16-2014 at 02:41 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 03:37 PM

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Have you been able to save the seat positions??------and what happens to the mirrors when a new seat position is called up??
When i call up M3 (my setting) seat, steeling wheel and passenger mirror will move to my setting, but i just can't store parking mirror per manual page 137 and activating page 201.
It just won't do anything when gear selector lever is placed in reverse
gear R.
Old 07-16-2014, 04:26 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
Ok what happens to the process you describe when you have selected passanger side mirror on and then call up your seat position??
Old 07-16-2014, 05:04 PM

Ok what happens to the process you describe when you have selected passanger side mirror on and then call up your seat position??
After storing passenger side mirror for parking, (at this point the passenger side mirror still down as looking at the curb).
As soon as i press M3, the passenger side mirror will move up to my setting where it should be.
I then try to park the car, nothing happen. The passenger side mirror should move down looking at the curb when gear R is selected, but it’s not.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:43 PM
Out Of Control!!

1999 E300TD
I think that you are following the instructions correctly.

The issue, as we both know the mirror does not recognize the R position instruction----let me look at the wiring diagram and get back with you!!

Double check your data card for the 275a option

Last edited by Plutoe; 07-17-2014 at 12:26 PM.
Old 07-16-2014, 06:54 PM

I think that you are following the instructions correctly.

The issue, as we both know the mirror does not recognize the R position instruction----let me look at the wiring diagram and get back with you!!
Thanks,

Summer opening feature also works, all windows and sunroof open the way it should.
Old 07-16-2014, 07:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 134 Likes on 124 Posts
W204 C63 AMG, W212 E250 CGI, C207 E250 CGI
Originally Posted by btv94
After storing passenger side mirror for parking, (at this point the passenger side mirror still down as looking at the curb).
As soon as i press M3, the passenger side mirror will move up to my setting where it should be.
I then try to park the car, nothing happen. The passenger side mirror should move down looking at the curb when gear R is selected, but it’s not.
did you leave the side mirror control selector at the PASSENGER SIDE?
Old 07-16-2014, 07:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Originally Posted by btv94
Storing and activating exterior rear view mirror parking position for 07 E350. I have been trying follow the manual page 137 to store rear view mirror parking position, but never work. Is this option still there for my car?
The '07s were not enabled to do this trick as the 03's - 06's and 08's - 09's were. My opinion is that there were so many complaints about the mirror not returning to the up position in the same exact position, and MB was deleting ANY content that hurt their quality ratings back then to bring the complaints down & the ratings back up. (Your 07 more than likely doesn't have the earlier 211's TPMS either... can you guess why?)
Old 07-17-2014, 12:21 PM

Originally Posted by Barry45RPM
The '07s were not enabled to do this trick as the 03's - 06's and 08's - 09's were. My opinion is that there were so many complaints about the mirror not returning to the up position in the same exact position, and MB was deleting ANY content that hurt their quality ratings back then to bring the complaints down & the ratings back up. (Your 07 more than likely doesn't have the earlier 211's TPMS either... can you guess why?)
You're right, TPMS is not there neither.

It would be nice to have exterior rear view mirror parking enabled.
Old 01-28-2016, 08:59 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2009 C300 Sport
Originally Posted by Honcho

Global Synchronization of auto open/unlock (windows open/close when car is unlocked/locked):

Global synchronization synchs all of your windows and sunroof so that they all open or close by a single command (pointing the key at the IR receiver in the driver's door handle, and pushing & holding lock or unlock). Place the A/C switch on the A/C control panel in Auto, and the recirc button on. Then press the button between the temp controls and hold it until all of the windows and roof close. This should resynch them. After that, the Smart Key should open or close the windows and sunroof as well as lock or unlock the doors.
which specific button should be pressed? there are several in between

thx
byas

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 1 votes, 5.00 average.

Quick Reply: Hidden Tricks and Tips List?