Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-13-2014, 04:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E220 CDI
E220 CDI Cuts out.

E220 CDI Elegance 2007. 21K Miles.
Hello, can somebody please help me.
About six weeks ago my E220 CDI just cut out on the motorway the APS light came on, so I cruised into the hard shoulder. I tried and tried to start it but it would not even turn over, so the recovery truck took the car to my home, the next day it started and I drove it to my main stealer. After two days they told me my ECU connections were all rusty and the ECU had to be replaced at a cost of €1800, I had no choice but to agree to the work. I was told it had to be a new part as a second hand unit would not be coded for my car. The new ECU came from Germany and was fitted and the dealer told me the car still had the same problem. Then they replaced the pins on the wires connecting to the ECU, that did not work either. So they replaced the loom connecting to the ECU, no difference fault still there. They said it might be the key so they replaced that and the fault is still there.I purchased the car brand new from them in 2007. The dealer told me I was not using the car enough and the drains under the windscreen got blocked up with moss etc. If the car is left running now it will cut out after a about an hour. The battery will show on the instrument panel and it will not start for about ten minutes. Can somebody please tell me what can I do to hurry them up as I don’t want to be looking at an enormous bill for all this work. Better still does somebody think they know whats wrong?
Cheers and Thanks. Batsi

Last edited by batsi; 08-13-2014 at 05:57 AM. Reason: More info.
Old 08-14-2014, 06:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 430 Likes on 355 Posts
2021 GLB250 FWD, 2023 GLA250 FWD
Have not had ground/earth connection problems on W211, but your problem sounds exactly like that. Have twice had problems identical to that which you describe on other manufacturers' cars. Dealer went right to the most common place for this problem to exist and remedied it. Replacing ECU may or may not have been necessary. However, there are a number of other ground/earth connections to be examined. The connection on the engine may be the culprit as it is not well protected from the environment. There are also connections in the trunk for the main battery to chassis (unlikely but should be checked). Suggest you allow dealer to continue, while questioning them about checking these points, as one spark could cost another ECU. Difficult problem to diagnose. Good luck.
Old 08-15-2014, 04:41 AM

E220 CDI
Originally Posted by Odd Piggy
Have not had ground/earth connection problems on W211, but your problem sounds exactly like that. Have twice had problems identical to that which you describe on other manufacturers' cars. Dealer went right to the most common place for this problem to exist and remedied it. Replacing ECU may or may not have been necessary. However, there are a number of other ground/earth connections to be examined. The connection on the engine may be the culprit as it is not well protected from the environment. There are also connections in the trunk for the main battery to chassis (unlikely but should be checked). Suggest you allow dealer to continue, while questioning them about checking these points, as one spark could cost another ECU. Difficult problem to diagnose. Good luck.
I will do as you suggest and get the dealer to check these connections, going there today. Thank you for your reply.
Old 08-25-2014, 03:39 AM

E220 CDI
Problem sorted, front SAM giving problems, changed it and everything is OK now. Thanks for the help.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:53 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Just for curiosity how did you come to the Epiphany???
Old 08-25-2014, 01:06 PM

E220 CDI
Originally Posted by Plutoe
Just for curiosity how did you come to the Epiphany???
Are you trying to be smart?
Old 08-25-2014, 02:08 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,040 Likes on 964 Posts
1999 E300TD
Nope, I am sure our member would love to learn how two week ago you went from a rusty ECU connection to problem solved a new front SAM---I am sure others will be helped with your thinking process!!
Old 08-25-2014, 02:50 PM

E220 CDI
Explained again.

Originally Posted by Plutoe
Nope, I am sure our member would love to learn how two week ago you went from a rusty ECU connection to problem solved a new front SAM---I am sure others will be helped with your thinking process!!

About six weeks ago my E220 CDI just cut out on the motorway the APS light came on, so I cruised into the hard shoulder. I tried and tried to start it but it would not even turn over, so the recovery truck took the car to my home, the next day it started and I drove it to my main stealer. After two days they told me my ECU connections were all rusty and the ECU had to be replaced at a cost of €1800, I had no choice but to agree to the work. I was told it had to be a new part as a second hand unit could not be coded for my car. The new ECU came from Germany and was fitted and the dealer told me the car still had the same problem. Then they replaced the pins on the wires connecting to the ECU, that did not work either. So they replaced the loom connecting to the ECU, no difference fault still there. They said it might be the key so they replaced that and the fault was still there. I purchased the car brand new from them in 2007. The dealer told me I was not using the car enough and the drains under the windscreen got blocked up with moss etc. If the car was left running it would cut out after a about an hour. The battery would show on the instrument panel and it would not start for about ten minutes. After they got me a new key they told me the front SAM unit was faulty so they replaced it and that cleared the fault. The car is now running fine and I hope this makes it easier for you to understand my thinking process.

Plutoe; Why don't you ask a straight question, without all this "Riddle me this Baloney"?

Last edited by batsi; 08-25-2014 at 02:54 PM. Reason: Question.