E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Wierd moaning noise while turning right

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-10-2014, 03:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Unhappy Wierd moaning noise while turning right

My 2005 E320 recently started making a wierd moaning noise whenever the steering wheel is turned a bit to the right. Its hard to describe the noise. it sounds like a whale for the lack of a better word.

It doesnt happen all the time. The car needs to be driven a little like 10 miles or so before the noise starts. I feel like this is perhaps heat related since the car needs to be warmed up before the problem starts.

I recently changed the rotors and pads on the car and am wondering if that could be a reason. I initially thought the pads were perhaps grabbing the rotors too tight but that would make it noisy all the time!

I am not sure if its the power steering since turning it all the way to the right or left doesnt make any noise.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas on what might be the problem.. This noise is driving me nuts
Old 10-11-2014, 09:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
03 E500 and Corvette
Change you Power Steering fluid.
Old 10-07-2018, 11:53 AM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by lnaru
My 2005 E320 recently started making a wierd moaning noise whenever the steering wheel is turned a bit to the right. Its hard to describe the noise. it sounds like a whale for the lack of a better word.

It doesnt happen all the time. The car needs to be driven a little like 10 miles or so before the noise starts. I feel like this is perhaps heat related since the car needs to be warmed up before the problem starts.

I recently changed the rotors and pads on the car and am wondering if that could be a reason. I initially thought the pads were perhaps grabbing the rotors too tight but that would make it noisy all the time!

I am not sure if its the power steering since turning it all the way to the right or left doesnt make any noise.

I would really appreciate if anyone has any ideas on what might be the problem.. This noise is driving me nuts
record the sound and post it, could be ball joints or wheel bearing
Old 10-08-2018, 05:27 PM

Received 64 Likes on 57 Posts
First check power steering fluid, like vettdvr said. If that is not the problem, i would inspect the inner tie rods on the steering rack. It is possible that some moisture or water may have gotten past the boot and started rusting out the inner tie rod. One symptom is a noise like you mentioned.