E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

SBC and NHTSA

Old 09-25-2018, 03:51 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500 Wagon
OK, I finally got photos of the offending piece. They took the photos for me and sent them to me. It looks like it's the end of part number

Old 09-25-2018, 03:57 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,414 Likes on 3,144 Posts
'71 Pinto
Check PM.
Old 10-01-2018, 03:24 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
Got my car back w/ the exhaust completely unattached. Luckily I found an old school muffler shop that welded it back together for me.

Old 10-01-2018, 03:26 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
I also noticed on the paperwork for the SBC replacement, it said that the reservoir was actually at fault but that the part was "no longer available" so they replaced the entire unit. I looked at the unit and it's definitely an updated piece. The reservoir on the back isn't the dome looking piece the old one had.
Old 10-06-2018, 07:06 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 255 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
That clamp is rusted to ****, no wonder they want to replace it.

Have you, not a service guy, checked with their parts department to see if that clamp is available separately?
Old 10-08-2018, 10:37 AM

2005 E500 Wagon
Originally Posted by Strigoi
That clamp is rusted to ****, no wonder they want to replace it.

Have you, not a service guy, checked with their parts department to see if that clamp is available separately?
They don't sell that bracket as a replacement part. It's part of the muffler itself. I ended up just welding it together.
Old 10-22-2018, 09:48 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
My '05 E320 is at the dealer right now for the SBC warranty work, however they said the system checks out fine and are not replacing it at this time. This is frustrating because I've experienced ~5 failures of the system while driving. The dash goes red and brake power is severely compromised. I pull over, restart, and everything is back to normal with no error messages. Needless to say, the system does not give me confidence. Anybody have recommendations as to what I could possibly do to get MB to replace the system when the problem is intermittent?

btw, my vehicle has ~180k miles and the last time I checked STAR, my SBC system has around 900k actuations clocked. Dealer also notified me that my brake fluid is very old and needs flushing. I will be doing this job this week. Can old brake fluid cause SBC failure?

Thanks all,
Daniel

Last edited by danielgetsthis; 10-22-2018 at 09:54 AM.
Old 10-22-2018, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,729 Likes on 1,379 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
Originally Posted by danielgetsthis
. Can old brake fluid cause SBC failure?

Thanks all,
Daniel
One more time- don't drink coffee when reading internet.
Now I have keyboard to clean
I hope you at least changed the engine oil on those 180k miles?
Old 10-22-2018, 03:38 PM

2005 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by kajtek1
One more time- don't drink coffee when reading internet.
Now I have keyboard to clean
I hope you at least changed the engine oil on those 180k miles?
The car is relatively new to me, but yes, I have been changing it every 10k. I assumed the PO was on top of the brake fluid service, but I was wrong. I'm replacing the brake fluid tomorrow
Old 02-26-2019, 10:48 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by danielgetsthis
My '05 E320 is at the dealer right now for the SBC warranty work, however they said the system checks out fine and are not replacing it at this time. This is frustrating because I've experienced ~5 failures of the system while driving. The dash goes red and brake power is severely compromised. I pull over, restart, and everything is back to normal with no error messages. Needless to say, the system does not give me confidence. Anybody have recommendations as to what I could possibly do to get MB to replace the system when the problem is intermittent?

btw, my vehicle has ~180k miles and the last time I checked STAR, my SBC system has around 900k actuations clocked. Dealer also notified me that my brake fluid is very old and needs flushing. I will be doing this job this week. Can old brake fluid cause SBC failure?

Thanks all,
Daniel
Hello Daniel, Any updates? just wondering what your outcome was. Did the dealer honour the extended warranty? I just picked up an 06 320 CDI for my daughter, 290k miles. Very good condition. Not sure if the SBC warranty work was done or not but I'm going to look into it.
Old 02-26-2019, 10:53 AM

2005 E320 CDI
No update yet. I'm waiting a little bit of time before going back and trying again.
Old 02-26-2019, 12:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by ironforger
Hello Daniel, Any updates? just wondering what your outcome was. Did the dealer honour the extended warranty? I just picked up an 06 320 CDI for my daughter, 290k miles. Very good condition. Not sure if the SBC warranty work was done or not but I'm going to look into it.
Remember, it's a 25 year extended warranty. Not a recall. A recall means they do the work regardless if it failed or not. With an extended warranty, they just fix it when it breaks, not before. I suppose you could take it in and ask the status of it and maybe if the counter is up there, maybe they'll replace the pump, but they might just say it's fine for now and hit you with the diagnostic charge.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:21 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
Remember, it's a 25 year extended warranty. Not a recall. A recall means they do the work regardless if it failed or not. With an extended warranty, they just fix it when it breaks, not before. I suppose you could take it in and ask the status of it and maybe if the counter is up there, maybe they'll replace the pump, but they might just say it's fine for now and hit you with the diagnostic charge.
Cetialpha5: Thanks for clarifying this. Much appreciated. So the dealer takes the counter value into consideration?

In the meantime, does this mean I should NOT find someone (with a STAR?) to reset the counter? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. If a high count means better probability of pump replace under warranty then..... well thats something to consider. The car we got has 290k miles so I'm guessing the counter is way high unless it's been previously addressed. I have some MB service records for the car, but I see no mention of this.
I read somewhere that once the counter reaches a certain threshold the brake system goes into a fail mode by default? Is this true?

Thanks again
Old 02-26-2019, 01:29 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,465 Likes on 1,146 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by ironforger
Cetialpha5: Thanks for clarifying this. Much appreciated. So the dealer takes the counter value into consideration?

In the meantime, does this mean I should NOT find someone (with a STAR?) to reset the counter? I just want to make sure I'm doing the right thing. If a high count means better probability of pump replace under warranty then..... well thats something to consider. The car we got has 290k miles so I'm guessing the counter is way high unless it's been previously addressed. I have some MB service records for the car, but I see no mention of this.
I read somewhere that once the counter reaches a certain threshold the brake system goes into a fail mode by default? Is this true?

Thanks again
I have no idea if they take the counter value into consideration. That would be you asking and letting us know! I believe based on past threads, you get a warning message once the counter hits a certain number and the brakes can fail at any point after that. By resetting the counter, you just eliminate the warning message. You could probably have it replaced if you have the warning message. So I wouldn't have the counter reset. It can go a long while before it actually fails once the warning message comes up, MB is a little conservative on the number which is why some people just reset the counter. But if MB is paying for the replacement now, you mind as well just take it in once you get the warning message. You can have someone read the number so you can see how much further you have to go.
Old 02-26-2019, 01:36 PM

2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by cetialpha5
I have no idea if they take the counter value into consideration. That would be you asking and letting us know! I believe based on past threads, you get a warning message once the counter hits a certain number and the brakes can fail at any point after that. By resetting the counter, you just eliminate the warning message. You could probably have it replaced if you have the warning message. So I wouldn't have the counter reset. It can go a long while before it actually fails once the warning message comes up, MB is a little conservative on the number which is why some people just reset the counter. But if MB is paying for the replacement now, you mind as well just take it in once you get the warning message. You can have someone read the number so you can see how much further you have to go.
Thanks.

Any idea what that "certain number" threshold is when you get the warning message?
Old 11-12-2019, 02:43 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
hey there does the extended warranty to 25yrs for the SBC apply to US vehicles that are now in Canada? any assistance is appreciated
Old 11-12-2019, 08:54 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Confirm here:
MBUSA: http://mercedes-benz.custhelp.com/ap...es-benz-usa%3F
MB Canada: https://www.mercedes-benz.ca/en/contact-us/overview
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
SBC 2.pdf (277.0 KB, 705 views)

Last edited by konigstiger; 11-12-2019 at 12:38 PM.
Old 11-12-2019, 10:07 AM

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking for an R129
Konigstiger . . . you are truly a national treasure for MB owners. Thank you!
The following users liked this post:
BOTUS (12-23-2019)
Old 02-22-2020, 08:53 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 W211 E320
My 2003 does not have a green sticker on the SBC and its coverage runs out in about a year, will MB replace it even though it does not have a problem? I missed the fuel tank program, the previous owner had it sitting, unregistered for 4 years. I get a slight smell when the tank is full, no CEL anymore, fixed it, I replaced the fuel filter assy last year because it was cracked. I can live with it because rarely is the car parked with a full tank.
Old 02-22-2020, 09:32 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
No, only if codes are stored. MBUSA released several recall & service campaigns that may apply, all free even out of warranty. Have dealer check vehicle master inquiry (VMI) to see if any are outstanding for your VIN.

Old 02-22-2020, 10:09 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
2003 W211 E320
Originally Posted by konigstiger
No, only if codes are stored. MBUSA released several recall & service campaigns that may apply, all free even out of warranty. Have dealer check vehicle master inquiry (VMI) to see if any are outstanding for your VIN.

Thank you. I have the iCarsoft tester to run MB codes and none are there for the SBC system. I may be lucky for now but my luck is it will be 1 day out of coverage and the SBC will fail.

Mu parents have a 1997 C series (low mileage) and they are happy with the dealer in Greensboro, NC, I think I will give them a call. When there I want them to disable the Telenav, it is the only Malfunction that shows up in the screen.
Old 08-18-2020, 11:09 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
15 years later and now selling mine, still never a hitch in the SBC system other than ones I've caused (had to get sensor surfaces on the wheels re-aligned after doing my own front end suspension overhaul). I've always flushed and refilled the fluid at recommended intervals.

Here's another perspective, for those who are struggling to justify these:

You know why there are hydraulic systems in airplanes on the control surfaces? Because they're too heavy for manual operation or electric actuators. An old, heavy (not new one with more aluminum/plastic) Mercedes diesel is the same principle. It's a heavy car, you can feel how heavy it is if you've ever driven it to a shop with the SBC in fault mode (disabled). With that in mind, I have no complaints about owning one, hydraulic systems exist for a reason, that reason being to provide reliable actuation of control parts on heavy vehicles with heavy control surfaces... like heavy airplane elevators, ailerons, and flaps and heavy road vehicle steering and brakes.

Would you rather pay them 400 bucks a pop for for pars + labor on failed electric actuators every 3 or 4 years, or once for a hydraulic pump? I assure you that if electronic actuators were as reliable and as serviceable, all of those heavy airplanes would use them. They don't.
Old 09-25-2020, 09:52 PM

2006 S55 AMG
My 06 S55 AMG have SBC? Doing front brake pads in the morning do I need to disconnect SBC? Why wasn’t it covered under extended warranty?
Old 09-26-2020, 11:30 AM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by S55Rocks!
My 06 S55 AMG have SBC?
Model 220.174 no SBC. BTW should be posting here: https://mbworld.org/forums/s55-amg-s...-w220-w221-52/
Old 11-11-2020, 07:16 PM

E240
I got the white "Service Brakes, Visit Workshop" message sitting there for a few years , could not reset it.
Then the dreaded red "Reduced braking power" and "STOP Reduced braking power - depress brake pedal fully"
messages started appearing
I bought the iCarsoft diagnostic tool and it returned code C2131, faulty SBC pressure reservoir.
I replaced it, bled the brakes and the RED messages went away, but the WHITE "Service Brakes, Visit Workshop" stubbornly refused to go away
until one day another fault appeared for the windscreen wash liquid had run low, when I filled up this BOTH faults went away
This was about 6months ago now and the WHITE "Service Brakes, Visit Workshop" has not returned
So I assume it was a software fault in the fault log and the windscreen washer fault somehow reset or pushed the brake fault out!!!

Search this Thread
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:
You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: SBC and NHTSA