Improved all-season floor mats

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-12-2004, 05:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Improved all-season floor mats

Certainly, many more important issues to be “cleaned up”, but how about starting a safety campaign to have our current all-season floor mats replaced with the new improved style at no out of pocket cost to us. How many actually use the poorly designed pin/clamp fasteners? As such, we’re constantly readjusting and this, in itself, is a safety issue. It is my understanding that the new mats mirror the standard equipment carpeted mats in that they incorporate fasteners that act in concert with the existing built in floor tabs. If that’s not about safety, what is? What say ALL those who purchased all-season mats dating back to the delivery of the earliest USA ’03 e-class collectively email customer service through mbusa.com? I already emailed earlier today.

See related thread: https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=55858
Old 01-13-2004, 06:50 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Update

MBUSA forwarded my request to my dealership's service manager who passed it on to the MBUSA local rep. Should hear something by tomorrow.
Old 01-13-2004, 09:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Some MBs & Bimmers
Can you list here the part number for the old W211 all weather mats and the part number for the new W211 all weather mats?

Old part # -- ???

New part # -- ???

Thanks in advance
Old 01-13-2004, 09:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
The part number for the new style mats : 6 6 68 8607 for black. Also check this thread:

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ll+season+mats
Old 01-14-2004, 12:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Old mat number

I have the older style black rubber mats with the clip fasteners. Yes, they are a pain to use and don't always keep the mats in the correct position. The number from the box is "B Q 6 68 0522"
I purchased these a couple of months ago and didn't know enough then to ask about new or old styles. They looked like the ones I had from my previous car so I assumed that they were the latest for the W211. I will be interested in whether MB will allow us to trade in the older mats for the new style.
Old 01-15-2004, 04:44 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Question

Wow

I am in the same boat. I wonder how to get MB to allow me to trade up too.

In early december, I got the all weather mats too because my interior (stone) is so light and got dirty so easy.

Now I see the newer mats available that is 'locked' down better.

Any ideas to get the mats 'traded up'?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:45 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Question

Wow

I am in the same boat. I wonder how to get MB to allow me to trade up too.

In early december, I got the all weather mats too because my interior (stone) is so light and got dirty so easy.

Now I see the newer mats available that is 'locked' down better.

Any ideas to get the mats 'traded up'?
Old 01-15-2004, 04:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Still working on it. Usual delays, this one is out for the day, that one is on sick leave, the other one cannot be reached, etc. If I'm successful I'll try to get something in writing to post. I consider this a safety matter and as such we're all entitled to replacements.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:22 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Success! MBUSA agreed to swap out my current mats (old style with metal pin/clamp fastners) for the improved version (built in fastners that act in concert with the existing floor tabs).

Speak with dealer's service manager
Request that he contact the dealer's MBUSA field rep
Emphasize safety concern
Give the part number for the new mats 6-6-68-8607 (black).

There has been mention that they now come in colors so I suggest that if you want a different color other than black, give the number above so the parts dept. has a place to begin.

Good luck.
Old 01-15-2004, 07:45 PM

I bought the new floor mats yesterday, but I'm going to take them back tomorrow and return them. They have the snap in fasteners on the bottom. They work fine, they just don't look that good. IMO, they really detract from the "clean" look of the car. They draw too much attention to themselves.

I've decided to use the clear cover ones from www.exactmats.com, that someone else posted here on the forum.

kevin
Old 01-15-2004, 09:36 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by kyee
They work fine, they just don't look that good. IMO, they really detract from the "clean" look of the car.
kevin
It would be a benefit to this thread if, before you return them, you can post a picture so others may readily decide if they want to switch. If you have problems posting use the IMG tab. I don't have mine yet. To be honest I have yet to see the new ones. Thanks.
Old 01-16-2004, 01:05 AM

Here you go:

Kevin
Old 01-16-2004, 06:42 AM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
That's why I bought the black ones. Even with the Stone interior, they do not show the dirt as the colored ones do. The black ones just blend into the bottom as they should.
Old 01-16-2004, 08:25 AM

Sweedish made Mercedes E Class Rubber mats

Interesting, the "new" rubber mats in photo above don't look like the mats I got at the Kundencenter (European Delivery Center) for the 2004 E Class several weeks ago. Mine have a much higher side lip 3 cm (one inch) which bends up at an angle and is the same thickness as the mat itself rather than rounded. On the front two mats this raised area is on both the left and right sides with the lower end (that tucks under the seat) and front raised floorwell areas having their edges raised less than one cm.

The mats are black and are made in Sweeden. On the driver's mat only there are no little bumps on the underside as in the photo above. For the front two mats the round buttons pictured are similar. (No separate "clips" came with the rubber mat set.) Numbers on the plastic bag are Br211, B6 6680154. 918306. Additional numbers molded into the rubber of the mat itself (I'm just looking at the left hand driver's side mat) are 2874 and W/S211, LHD/Part No. for the complete set of mats anthrazit B6 668 0154, Part No. for the driver mat anthrazit B6 668 0158. The same information is also molded into the rubber for stone with the respective numbers being the same except for substitution of the last three digits which are 177 for the complete set of stone mats and 178 for the driver side stone mat.(i.e. B6 668 0177) No other colors are coded into the rubber.

On the top surface of the upper portion of the driver's mat is a six inch high and sixteen inch wide rectangle of what looks like black indoor/outdoor carpet molded into the mat. It begins about 14 inches from the rear of the mat and stops just below where the splits in the mat begin at the top of the mat.

On the upper surface of the mat area that is flat on the floor there is a pattern of oblong indentations about 1/8th cm deep to catch melted snow and water. Most are 3/4 inch wide and 3 inches long andare elongated oval shaped.

The raised sides appear superior to the mat shown above and the overall design looks like it would hold water much better than the mat pictured above. In any event these Sweedish made rubber mats worked well for us as described in my separate thread titled, "Just back from Germany" under the first page post named, "Gummi Mats."

I assume these are only available in Europe and would be curious to know if the Sweedish made mats have a unique right front passenger footwell mat fitted for the new 4Matic version of the 2004 E Class with its slightly different floor from the standard E Class. If so I might have just that one mat shipped from Europe as the set I have are fitted for the standard 2003/2004 E. The only number molded into the rubber of the front passenger right side mat that I do have is 2875. The numbers on the two rear mats are 2876 and 2877. Interestingly, all three of these mats do have little bumps on the underside (as pictured above) unlike the driver's mat which is smooth on its underside. These three mats also have none of the other molded numbers or chart (see below) as on the driver's mat. The topside pattern and raised edges are similar to the driver's mat though I note the angled one inch raised lip edge extends all the way around the rear mats on the left, right and bottom rather than just on the sides as on the front mats.

Interestingly on the driver's side mat there is a little chart molded into the rubber on the underside of the mat which appears to let you know either when the mat was formed or for which months of vehicle manufacture it is compatible. Looks something like a battery tag. On the left side are a listing of years starting with 02 and ending with 08. There are twelve small boxes to the right of each letter. On my mat there are raised dots in all of the squares to the right of 02 and 03. I assume each month they add another dot to the mold.

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-16-2004 at 09:42 AM.
Old 01-16-2004, 03:52 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Kevin, thanks again.

Randy B, I agree the best all around color is black. Fortunately I have charcoal interior so they blend in fine.

In comparing my current mats, I noticed that they not only incorporated fastners but also extended the mat to cover the driver's left foot rest (dead pedal).
Old 01-17-2004, 03:06 PM

Price for Kundencenter offered mats

Oh, cost of the Sweedish made mat set described above was approximately 80 Euros at the Kundencenter (just a little less than $100) so these are the most expensive of the options, but IMHO worth it.
Old 01-17-2004, 03:30 PM

2010 E550
Those new mats look like they fit well but I don't think they look as good as the old rubber mats that have the MB logo on them.
Old 01-17-2004, 04:59 PM

There is an MB logo on them, but it's very faint, and hard to catch with the flash on the camera.

At any rate, I returned them yesterday, and will order the ones from www.exactmats.com on Monday.
Old 01-19-2004, 09:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
11 ML350W2 / 17 GLC300
Picture?

Mercedesfan,

Could you post a picture of your Gummi Mats?

I have a Volvo 245 that has the Volvo "Floor Trays". They are a molded plastic material that does have a 1 inch lip all around and would hold about a gallon of water. They may not be the best looking, at least now after 14 years, but certainly have kept the muck off of the carpet. If your Gummi Mats are similar to the Volvo floor trays, I will try to get my dealer to order a set.
Old 01-19-2004, 01:05 PM

Here in the UK I have the same type as Mercedesfan. The mats don't look or feel as nice as the standard carpet ones but in the wet and muddy winter here they do a great job.

The moulded in bit of carpet that Mercedesfan describes on the drivers mat looks a little odd, I guess its there to stop your heel slipping if wet and muddy !

James
Old 01-19-2004, 08:05 PM

Ask and they shall receive - gummi mat photos

OK, here are photos of the gummi mats as requested (The ones from the European Delivery Center made in Sweeden)

Also pictured are some additional photos - all taken by one of the kids - from our European Delivery trip discussed in the separate thread, "Just Back from Germany." After the gummi mats is a photo of the dessert buffet featured New Year's Eve at Hoel Meuller followed by 4 photos of the Schlosshotel near Baden-Baden including the hotel itself, sculptures on the grounds, and its swimming pool/spa.

Those photos are followed by the car in front of the European Delivery Center. The final photo is yours truly entering the hotel in Munich with one of our kids in the foreground. Note the streetcar outside the entrance.

The best way to view the photos is to click on "slideshow" once you get to the yahoo photo site.

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/jay...+Euro+Delivery

Last edited by Mercedesfan; 01-19-2004 at 10:16 PM.