E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Active Headlights Alert!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-22-2004, 02:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Originally posted by alewifebp
It is always very frustrating to see that the dealers have no idea about VITAL information about their cars, mainly because they just don't get the information from Germany/Montvale. The brochures clearly show the feature being availalbe without delayed availability, and the ordering guides published to dealers also showed this feature being available. So, my dealer rightly thought that the feature would be installed. I had simply thought they were useless because I never did see an improvement, until I found out I did not have them.
This has nothing to to with getting infos from Germany!! The dealers I talked to only now that they usually earn some money when they sell the car - that's it!

How stupid must a dealer be to take apart the lights to check if a feature is installed that - on the other hand - can cleary be seen when firing them up. And I bet (not sure) that you also can check for it when connecting the car to the service computer. At least try the following... disconnect ground from battery (trunk) for a few seconds (will lose all settings though) and reconnect. The first time you start the car - even without firing up the Xenons - it gives you a "cornering headlight error" - at least my car does.

The dealers try to tell the customer whatever he wants to hear just to make the deal. Once you start digging deeper and ask questions about uncommon features - they start telling you BS
Old 01-22-2004, 03:02 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,433 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by MB-JIM
I would like to know what is the best way to contact the right person at MBUSA in order to go on record regarding this situation.
Check your PM.
Old 01-22-2004, 03:10 PM
Almost a Member!

Angry

Can you pm with info on contacts at MBUSA also.
I was wondering what was wrong as I didn't see any
lateral movement from the lights.
Now I know why!
Old 01-22-2004, 03:59 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by takeshi
Can you pm with info on contacts at MBUSA also.
Check your PM
Old 01-22-2004, 09:29 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by Hudson
I feel I was given false information and am pissed. I wrote to my dealer to see what they're going to do about it and I would encourage everyone else to do the same. Perhaps if enough of us complain, they will address. I would think this would be bad publicity to MB - along the lines of false advertising/bait and switch.
Check your PM
Old 01-22-2004, 09:32 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Oh you don't have PM enabled. Well then PM me with your email address.
Old 01-23-2004, 09:39 AM

'03 Mercedes E320
I'm just curious what your Monroney window sticker labels said about headlights. I know the dealers (not talking about any specific MB dealer but all makes) leave the sticker on to prove that all equipment was disclosed to the customer at delivery, so the customer could not claim the car had other options. Of course if there was a verbal disclosure that contradicted the sticker, then that's a different matter, or if your order said active headlights. But was the window sticker alone misleading?
Old 01-23-2004, 12:03 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Playing devils advocate here, but what's the big deal.

MB didn't try to fool you with the new feature. Sure it was in the brochure but they have the right to change things. And we wonder why there are so many warnings and disclaimers in everything in the US, it because people over react to the slightest of things.

In MB's defense, those brochures are printed up way in advance and coordinating new options for the new year is tough.
Old 01-23-2004, 12:38 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E500
Originally posted by norb
Playing devils advocate here, but what's the big deal.

MB didn't try to fool you with the new feature. Sure it was in the brochure but they have the right to change things. And we wonder why there are so many warnings and disclaimers in everything in the US, it because people over react to the slightest of things.

In MB's defense, those brochures are printed up way in advance and coordinating new options for the new year is tough.
Disagree - when you spend $70k on a luxury item from a company with such brand equity as MB, you would expect them to be more connected with their sales arm and to have a more rigid change control process in place. At a minimum, print new more accurate brochures for goodness sake. They may not have intentionally tried to fool us but they should make good and uphold their name by righting a wrong.
Old 01-23-2004, 03:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
norb, I can see your ponit, These days a lot of people go crazy over some of these types of things. But, Harris makes a very good point, too. I have different expectations when I go to McDonalds then when I go to Mortons. I expect MB to be the best in the class because they are typically charging the most in the class. The information that they were even giving to the dealers showed this feature, and I will have to check the info that I have, but I believe Netstar was also showing this feature.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:38 PM

I would agree that Mercedes can change the specifications. However, when one orders the bi-xenon lighting package which is supposed to include the active turning feature at an invoive price of $1,180, the customer should get what the customer pays for. Once Mercedes management knew that the active tunring feature would not be available on cars produced before Decemebr, 1, 2003 , the price of the bi-xenon option should have been adjusted and the customer should have been given the option of buying the vehicle with or without the lighting package.
Old 01-23-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
2009 C63 AMG
Wasn't that the price of the regular Xenon package without the active headlights? MB isn't overcharging are they?
Old 01-23-2004, 07:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Originally posted by norb
Wasn't that the price of the regular Xenon package without the active headlights? MB isn't overcharging are they?
Yes norb I believe you are correct.... MB is not over charging their customers. The xenon head lights are the same price with or with out the active technology..... But at the same time I can fully understand the frustration of the people that took delivery of their car thinking that it was equipted with the active feature. Small features like the active headlights are the things that make a good car great... Its not all about horse power for some....
Old 01-23-2004, 07:17 PM

06 C 350 2014 GLK350
I sent my letter to Montvale today requesting retrofit or refund. It was not negative, only pointing out the facts. Let's see what happens.
Old 01-23-2004, 07:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
B.T.W.... has anyone actually down loaded the Hella active headlight video that was supplied in the earlier post..... I'm almost positive this is a different system that Mercedes is using.... The hella system is activated by the blinker contoll stalk and uses a thrid (seperate) light. The Mercedes system is always on and the headlights actually pivit or turn in the housing acording to speed and steering angle......There is no third light in their system....
Old 01-23-2004, 08:21 PM

2004 E500
So has anyone siad that they have the "darting" eye ehadlights? My E500 was built January 21, 2004. I am expecting

1. "Darting" eyes
2. "Nano" clearcoat
3. Appearance package with white dials (I don't think anyone has black yet)
Old 01-23-2004, 08:22 PM

2004 E500
Originally posted by Rudegar
So has anyone siad that they have the "darting" eye ehadlights? My E500 was built January 21, 2004. I am expecting

1. "Darting" eyes
2. "Nano" clearcoat
3. Appearance package with white dials (I don't think anyone has black yet)
SORRY for all the typos -- I CAN SPELL! I JUST CAN'T TYPE WORTH A DAMN!
Old 01-23-2004, 09:19 PM

2012 CL550
I think a lot of the frustration we experience boils down to poor or nonexistent communication. Germany doesn't talk to MBUSA. MBUSA doesn't talk to the dealers. And dealers are left to their own devices when it comes to what they tell the customer. If they don't know the answer they make it up or disassemble the car to find out what's going on.

What we are asking for is clear answers to our questions. Clear expectations about what is and what isn't available. And if something isn't available, knowledge of when it will be. We are seeing a trend here that started with the navigation fiasco and continues with other products.

Sometimes I wonder if we are in the minority on these issues. We are enthusiasts. We have high expectations. Do other customers simply not care? Do they not notice these things?

While I agree that things change and building automobiles this complicated is...well, complicated. But how is it that Lexus and other premium brands seem to have their act together, at least when it comes to delivering a quality product? I don't read the Lexus boards, but assume from other's comments and know from friends that own them, they do not have these issues.

So don't get me wrong. I love my car. But I can't believe the problems I and others have experienced just getting answers to questions that should be simple. It's not too much to ask, particularly not at this price point.
Old 01-23-2004, 10:37 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Originally posted by MB-JIM
I sent my letter to Montvale today requesting retrofit or refund. It was not negative, only pointing out the facts. Let's see what happens.
Old 01-23-2004, 11:16 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Hey Halata, Preston Tucker got it right and that was 56 years ago!

Old 01-24-2004, 09:57 AM

E350 2007
Anyone had luck?

This is my first MB 04 E-320 where I did purchase this option for 1180.00. I'm floored that what I read about MB and what they are doing! I called my dealer and asked why this option is not working, their response was to bring in the car and they will take care of it. Now what that means I will see next week. I just came out of a BMW 5 and had a lot of problems with the car and really bad service. I can try to some it up.

I can tell you one thing I know for sure, I work as a VP of a German company. The problem is MB (Germany) just doesn’t understand us Americans. I'm not trying to put anyone down, however, after 15 years of dealing with the mother company in Germany, they take care of their own, and don't care too much about the outside world. Now many of you will say this is BS, however, many old schooled German's in these positions of decision-making think in this manor! I’ve had to deal with the members on the German MB board.

I do not have a choice when it comes to choosing the make of car, I have to pick from MB or BMW (well that sucks, not). The only way to beat them is advertisement, bad press! This is one thing Germany will not stand for.

Now there has to be someone on this forum with the smarts how to advertise this problem and other problems, you have to hit them in the repetition!! Try taking out a full page add in the New York Times and you will see how fast a plane load of German board members from MB meet with MBUSA! We are the only market where MB can grow they need us!

Ok that is my 2 cents..
Old 01-24-2004, 11:55 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
2013 E 350, 2012 GLK 350, 2012 C300 4matic
Hell ona Harley - the Hella site has different types of lighting products, the active MB lights are the "bending" lights not the cornering lights. Also just look at whats done the road. As with anything we buy it's basically outdasted at the time of purchase. I bet in 6 months we'll see complaints from folks with the active lights that they don't have the newest versions. All in all each one is a significant step up from the prior. I have the Bi-Xenons that don't corner but they are so much better than the Xenons on my prior CLK that for a while I thought that they might be cornering.
If we all were to wait for the newest thing we'd never get anything. I can tell you without a doubt my current car is fantastic and I have no reservations. The next one will have whatever is newest at that time.
Old 01-24-2004, 01:01 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Re: Anyone had luck?

Originally posted by jtm311
The problem is MB (Germany) just doesn’t understand us Americans. Now many of you will say this is BS, however, many old schooled German's in these positions of decision-making think in this manor! The only way to beat them is advertisement, bad press! This is one thing Germany will not stand for.
So what you're say is http://www.linux-penguin.org/achtung...PanzerLied.mp3

Joking aside, PM your emal address to me for a more cost effective method (Germany or USA, your choice).
Old 01-24-2004, 02:46 PM

E350 2007
Wink ?

The link no work she a broke lol
Old 01-24-2004, 03:04 PM

2004 E500
Re: ?

jtm311: I think the word you are going for in your signature is knowN?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Active Headlights Alert!