E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

04 E55 steering column changed, now key wont turn???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2015, 04:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
04 E55
04 E55 steering column changed, now key wont turn???

Last week I decided to change out my steering column because the up/down adjustment was not working. (there is small shaft that connects the up/down motor to the gears which was bad)

I am using all of the original electrical components from my car, re installed onto my new bare column.

Now after everything was installed... the key is no longer recognized. The Park light on the shifter does light up when the key is inserted but the key will not turn in the EIS. Usually the EIS will make a actuating sound when the key is inserted but it is not now.

I did submerge the key in water last year accidentally so I assumed coincidence it went bad right after I swap the column. So I have a brand new key now.

Now the new key when inserted, wont turn, Park light on shifter lights up, message in speedometer "Calculating Key" appears for up to 2 hours(that's the longest Ive waited before retrying) with nothing else happening.

I have disconnected the battery a few times to try and reset... It has been disconnected overnight but I don't think that is my issue.

I'm stumped!!!

Possibly have the steering angle sensor not lined up correctly???
Old 04-29-2015, 08:58 PM
Super Moderator

Received 21 Likes on 20 Posts
THE C350
I would double check all your connections in and around the steering column such as the lock that locks the steering wheel.
Old 04-29-2015, 09:22 PM

04 E55
Thanks for the reply! I will search in star finder to see if I can locate which plug exactly is for the steering wheel lock. I've looked over everything close but I will check again.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by thumper823
Last week I decided to change out my steering column because the up/down adjustment was not working. (there is small shaft that connects the up/down motor to the gears which was bad)

I am using all of the original electrical components from my car, re installed onto my new bare column.

Now after everything was installed... the key is no longer recognized. The Park light on the shifter does light up when the key is inserted but the key will not turn in the EIS. Usually the EIS will make a actuating sound when the key is inserted but it is not now.

I did submerge the key in water last year accidentally so I assumed coincidence it went bad right after I swap the column. So I have a brand new key now.

Now the new key when inserted, wont turn, Park light on shifter lights up, message in speedometer "Calculating Key" appears for up to 2 hours(that's the longest Ive waited before retrying) with nothing else happening.

I have disconnected the battery a few times to try and reset... It has been disconnected overnight but I don't think that is my issue.

I'm stumped!!!

Possibly have the steering angle sensor not lined up correctly???
If your old key and new key dont actuate the lock cylinder in your new column, your EIS is probably faulty.... If your SAS wasn't lined up properly, your eis should still recongnize the key. Your steering angle sensor is irrelevant if your EIS isn't recongnizing either key....

Last edited by cmriv; 04-29-2015 at 10:05 PM.
Old 04-29-2015, 10:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You swapped steering lock cylinders correct? Also you could have just replaced your broken "dogbone" in your old column. But now at least you got a fresh column!

Last edited by cmriv; 04-29-2015 at 10:18 PM.
Old 04-30-2015, 09:07 AM

04 E55

Originally Posted by cmriv
You swapped steering lock cylinders correct? Also you could have just replaced your broken "dogbone" in your old column. But now at least you got a fresh column!

The thing on the left is the lock cylinder? No I did not change that
Old 04-30-2015, 09:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The thing on the left is the lock cylinder? No I did not change that
Do you still have your old one? Things like new keys, EIS's, Steering columns, of that nature are TRP parts. These items are vin/vehicle specific. you may have to get your new column scn coded... not to sure as i've never replaced a whole column, just lock cylinders and wishbones.
http://www.mbseattle.com/images/pdf/MBUSA_TRP_Form.pdf
Old 04-30-2015, 11:19 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Damn bro, part #110 would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and easier.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...e-up-down.html
Old 04-30-2015, 11:21 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by cmriv
Do you still have your old one? Things like new keys, EIS's, Steering columns, of that nature are TRP parts. These items are vin/vehicle specific. you may have to get your new column scn coded... not to sure as i've never replaced a whole column, just lock cylinders and wishbones.
http://www.mbseattle.com/images/pdf/MBUSA_TRP_Form.pdf

yes I still have my old one. I didn't know the column was a TRP part. So do you think I should used my old lock cylinder? or just repair my old column with a new wishbone?
Old 04-30-2015, 11:37 AM

04 E55
Originally Posted by BryanW203
Damn bro, part #110 would have been a hell of a lot cheaper and easier.

https://mbworld.org/forums/audio-ele...e-up-down.html

yea I definitely could have gone about this a better way. I did have a spare column so I don't have any money invested.. but my time lost. My wishbone didn't actually break in half. It was wedges off to the side in between the motor gear and housing. At that point I decided to swap the whole thing. When I would push up or down on the switch, I couldn't hear or feel a grinding noise at all. So I'm not sure the motor even works anymore.
Old 04-30-2015, 11:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
yea I definitely could have gone about this a better way. I did have a spare column so I don't have any money invested.. but my time lost. My wishbone didn't actually break in half. It was wedges off to the side in between the motor gear and housing. At that point I decided to swap the whole thing. When I would push up or down on the switch, I couldn't hear or feel a grinding noise at all. So I'm not sure the motor even works anymore.
Thats good to hear! Kinda. lol
Old 04-30-2015, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

yes I still have my old one. I didn't know the column was a TRP part. So do you think I should used my old lock cylinder? or just repair my old column with a new wishbone?
I would fix your broken wishbone in your old column, swapp steering locks and either keep or sell your perfectly fine working column if you don't have use for it and fix the broken wishbone.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:38 PM

04 E55
Great! Thanks all for the help! Ill report back if I have any other questions.
Old 04-30-2015, 01:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Talking

Great! Thanks all for the help! Ill report back if I have any other questions.
Good luck!