E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

New user, problem with crank angle sensor

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2015, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
New user, problem with crank angle sensor

We've had the car ('05 E500) a few months. Then it had a hot start problem, if the engine was hot it would not start. After cooling off, it started fine. Check engine light was on, the code was for a crank angle sensor, so I replaced it. Started fine, hot or cold, after that.

Now whenever I floor it, the engine seems to rev up (as if I suddenly switched into neutral), then the revs fall until it dies. Once I got it to fall to idle, but usually it dies (according to my wife, who drives it most). When I turn it off and back on, it starts up just fine, with the CEL on. If I shut it off again and start it back up, the CEL is off.

I managed to make it happen yesterday, and drove to have the codes checked with the CEL on. It showed P0456 (guy said maybe gas cap wasn't tight) and P0335, which is crank angle sensor.

Should I change the sensor again? The symptoms are different from last time, what else could it be?
Old 06-19-2015, 10:47 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
Sounds like you have two seperate problems---#1=Now whenever I floor it, the engine seems to rev up (as if I suddenly switched into neutral), then the revs fall until it dies-----That is a transmission issue--check the fluid level--if full--then I suspect you have a larger issue with the torque converter!!
Old 06-19-2015, 10:52 AM

2005 E500
Let me clarify on the acceleration issue. If I slam the pedal to the floor, it will downshift (if already moving in gear) and accelerate, then it will suddenly fall on its face and all the warning lights come on, coast to a stop and the engine's off. Now that I'm thinking about it I'm not sure if it revs up, or this just happens at the top of a gear.

But if I ease on the throttle, even quickly but gradually (as opposed to just flooring it), it performs flawlessly. Shifts and drives fine all other ways, just doesn't like being floored.

I just had it in the shop yesterday (oil change, rotation, alignment), they checked all the fluids and said everything's fine.
Old 06-19-2015, 01:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,048 Likes on 970 Posts
1999 E300TD
"then it will suddenly fall on its face and all the warning lights come on, coast to a stop and the engine's off." -----and it is at this point the CEL is on and you get the P0456 and P0335---is that now and still correct or do you want more time to recall the correct information??
Old 06-19-2015, 02:02 PM

2005 E500
CEL comes on after I restart the car.