E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

"No DVD inserted. Please insert Navi-DVD."

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-04-2004, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
02 996 C2 Cabrio
Question "No DVD inserted. Please insert Navi-DVD."

Howdy, everyone. I recently picked up my '04 E500 4MATIC to replace my '03 E500, and the new car is solid.

However, I just tried to throw in the Navi-DVD to use the COMMAND system and all I get is, "No DVD inserted. Please insert Navi-DVD."

Just before this prompt, I get a message saying, "Navigation software has been loaded." There are also two progress bars showing "overall progress" and "partial progress". Then, after about 30 seconds, the screen asks me to insert the DVD (when it's already in there!).

So, I searched the archives and see that some others have had this problem. What's the fix?

New DVD disc? New DVD player in the trunk? New COMMAND unit?

Just wondering... So far, the mechanicals have been solid! Knock Wood! :p

Hopefully, I simply have a bad DVD disc...
Old 02-04-2004, 08:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i havent ever seen that, hopefully your dealer can fix it, the progress cars only show up once a month maybe, and take 2-3 seconds, GL
Old 02-04-2004, 11:20 PM
Almost a Member!

Welcome to the club! I get the same error message "No DVD - please insert Navi DVD" quite often. I hope for your sake it is just a defective disc or something simple. However, I suspect it is related to the "software" problem that so many of us are waiting on an update for. If you do a search on the "radio static" problem you will see references to the NAV problem there also.

The dealer told me that MB is working on a fix and they will call me when it arrives. However, I called MB USA and talked to one of their "tech" guys and he claims he has never heard of the problem! He promised a regional rep would get in touch with me, I am still waiting on that call.

So far a new command unit, instrument panel, and new DVD disc have not fixed my car's problems (radio static, no-DVD, random Nav system crashes). Today the Nav system crashed 3 times and the radio static problem occured twice.

It looks more and more like I have leased a 3 year headache. I'll update my post with any new information I come across.

2004 E320
Old 02-04-2004, 11:32 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by psh1959
Welcome to the club! I get the same error message "No DVD - please insert Navi DVD" quite often. I hope for your sake it is just a defective disc or something simple. However, I suspect it is related to the "software" problem that so many of us are waiting on an update for. If you do a search on the "radio static" problem you will see references to the NAV problem there also.

The dealer told me that MB is working on a fix and they will call me when it arrives. However, I called MB USA and talked to one of their "tech" guys and he claims he has never heard of the problem! He promised a regional rep would get in touch with me, I am still waiting on that call.

So far a new command unit, instrument panel, and new DVD disc have not fixed my car's problems (radio static, no-DVD, random Nav system crashes). Today the Nav system crashed 3 times and the radio static problem occured twice.

It looks more and more like I have leased a 3 year headache. I'll update my post with any new information I come across.

2004 E320
Psh1959,

I feel your pain. My first car was basically a LEMON, so I got a replacement. My previous car had the infamous "static" problem which required a communications platform module replacement. Plus, a flash update (software). Perhaps the CP module may be the culprit in your car causing static and communication issues. My fauly CP module created static and it also caused the unit to not be able to recognize audio signals.

Anyhow, hopefully I just have a bad disc. You might want to have them check out/replace your CP module.

Keep us posted!
Old 02-05-2004, 06:37 AM
Almost a Member!

I had that same problem when i first picked up my car. After about a week or so it stopped. However, it does load those two bars everytime i start the car. Thought this was a normal thing. Guess not?
Old 02-05-2004, 05:19 PM

The "static" (which in fact is not static, but that is not the point here), the radio shutting off, the navigation asking for the DVD, the navigation showing the wrong location, phone problems, etc...are all problems that can be fixed in Europe since december 2003.

So if you guys just keep waiting a bit until all information arrives at the US...and then from that moment on it just depends on how good your dealers mechanics understand the problems and fixes.

There are still some minor problems which are known and DCAG works on it, but none of them have been posted here, so I do not think that many people have noticed it.
Old 02-06-2004, 07:51 PM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Update on my DVD problem...

The dealer couldn't find anything wrong!

The Nav seems to be working just fine. There was no mention of a flash update in my service order.

I sure hope this was a fluke...

Trending Topics

Old 02-06-2004, 08:39 PM

2004 E320
On the older model 2001, the DVD for the NAV was near the front seat. It was commonly mistaken for a cd player. Make sure that you put the DVD in the trunk slot.
Old 02-07-2004, 11:08 AM

02 996 C2 Cabrio
Originally posted by Lt0104
On the older model 2001, the DVD for the NAV was near the front seat. It was commonly mistaken for a cd player. Make sure that you put the DVD in the trunk slot.
This I know. It's funny, I talked to the service guy about placing the DVD in the trunk and he says, "No, no... you put it in the dash. It's in the front of the car."

After explaining it to him, he learned something "new". Oh, boy.

Anyhow, the DVD works great now. I'm not sure what they did, if anything. I do know that they must have disconnected the power and done a full reboot since my clock was all wrong. Whatever, it works fine now.