E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nano Paint in the UK

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-11-2004, 07:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I visited a dealer in Oslo today, and they had 6 W/S211. We checked them all, and 5 of 6 had the CXXX code. Only one car did not, and that car was produced in August 2003. So the Salesman called MB Norway, and he got the exact same information that John got from MB UK. W/S211’s produced after ultimo September 2003 has the new paint technology. At least for European cars
Old 02-11-2004, 01:17 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E500
for what's it worth:

my paint code C744
Build Date 10/2/03
Received in US - sometime mid November

So I guess this confirms nano paint for '04 US delivered W211's built prior to 1/1/04.
Old 02-11-2004, 02:01 PM

E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

Originally posted by konigstiger
Interesting thing I finally got around to actually checking and my code reads 744 which is brilliant silver. There is no C in front. My car was built in 10/02 at the Sindelfingen plant. So as I think this through the C in front, just as Oslo said, does mean your car HAS the new clearcoat. Sorry Oslo. It's been a very busy day to say the least. Sorry guys for misleading.
Hm, my W211 is brilliant silver,too - built 11/03. The color code says C744. Maybe it just stands for "color"?? Nice threat though
Old 02-11-2004, 03:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Re: Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

Originally posted by Mortenstein
Hm, my W211 is brilliant silver,too - built 11/03. The color code says C744. Maybe it just stands for "color"?? Nice threat though
But it's (basically) a free world. If you don't like diesel, don't buy one. If you don't like to work on it - change your profession. Simple, isn't it
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=36473

... and therefore I saved the money and did not order any alarm system from MB! No one cares anyway
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=59977

QUOTE]Originally posted by Mortenstein
In my eyes this warranty stuff is not really worth talking about. BMW does it this way and MB that way. If somebody doesn't like MB's warranty - buy another car. Nobody said you have to drive MB. If you like BMW - nice, go and get one - but don't complain about whatever their warranty is like - nobody said you have to buy it. [/QUOTE]
https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=57359

Scheißekopf

Scheißekopf!
Old 02-11-2004, 03:13 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Cayenne GTS, Cayenne Turbo
Re: Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

"C" doesn't stand for color. Both my past cars, 2000 SLK230, and 2002 CLK430 didn't have the "C" prefix, they were simply 040 (Black).
Old 02-11-2004, 03:14 PM

Originally posted by awiner
Per Karl in another thread,

"That article on German Car Fans makes it sound like this Nano coat is brand new as of Jan 1 2004. Service Info 98.00/14c came out yesterday as an update to 14b that came out in Dec 03. It was revised to list the expanded model range as of Sept 03.
No where in the DTB is Nano mentioned. It is PPG CeramiClear clear coat.
Here is the DTB:

Subject: Models 170, 203, 208, 209, 211, 215, 220, 230

"As of June 3, 2002 [YES 2002!], the model C215 is now painted with PPG CeramiClear clear coat which reduces visable scratching <snip>. ALL CeramiClear paint has a C in front of the paint code.
This clear coat is being phased in on the other models listed in the subject above.
As of July 14, 2003, all 170 and 230 models shall be painted using this clear coat.
Additionally, a limited number of C208 and W/S210 model vehicles , have also been painted using this clear coat BUT they do not have the C before the paint code. There are 3 C208 vins listed and 32 W210 vins listed. I will not list them here. Pmail me at aufever@prodigy.net if you want them or a copy of the DTB."

Very interesting. This explains why your car has the C-prefix although it's an 03...
Old 02-11-2004, 03:31 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Hi Arnee,
I think between us all we have finally solved the mystery of what lies behind this nano (small) mystery. You are perfectly correct to point out that this is indeed the CeramiClear Coat and various journalists have abbreviated it to 'Nano' coating.

Some magazines have confused the issue by stating that it was not due out until January 04, however a few of us have actually got confirmation that vehicles manufactured after September 03 (I can only apply this to UK sourced, but I believe it applies to vehicles with a 'C' before the colour (Lack) three figured number) have the new paintwork.

I hope that this has been helpful, Oslo has given it a thorough field test and rates it very highly.

Bye for now.

John
Old 02-11-2004, 04:58 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E500
Well I'm pleased I got this nano paint but while it looks great, I'm not sure how much it has improved resistance to chips/scratches. After only a three months of driving (and I use it as a second car and have only 1700 miles on her) I still have identified a couple of small chips from mild road debris - 2 on hood and a couple on front bumper (from normal stuff like sand). Can't say if improved since not familiar with quality of paint finish it replaces. I'd be interested in hearing other experiences (any chips?)
Old 02-11-2004, 05:37 PM

Originally posted by Hudson
Well I'm pleased I got this nano paint but while it looks great, I'm not sure how much it has improved resistance to chips/scratches. After only a three months of driving (and I use it as a second car and have only 1700 miles on her) I still have identified a couple of small chips from mild road debris - 2 on hood and a couple on front bumper (from normal stuff like sand). Can't say if improved since not familiar with quality of paint finish it replaces. I'd be interested in hearing other experiences (any chips?)

I too don't drive my E320, my fiancee does...but I see a couple of rock chips also. Albeit, it's less than the amount my CLK430 obtained during the same amount of time. We've had the E320 for approx 3 months now. And yes, we drive alot, it's got 7,000 miles now.

Having previously owned 4 black cars, I have been quite sensitive to swirl marks. My car is tectite grey but it's still dark enough to see swirl marks -- or the lack thereof! I do not know if I should attribute the minimal amount of swirl marks to the ceramic clear-coat, nonetheless, I'm definitely ecstatic that the car doesn't have as much as my previous black cars.
Old 02-11-2004, 06:05 PM

E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Re: Re: Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

Scheißekopf...

Scheißekopf!

Are you on some kind of drugs?? First of all... your comment has absolutely nothing to do with the threat and second... if you try to insult people, either do it in your language or don't do it at all... funny though "Scheißekopf"... whatever that means. Btw... sh**head cannot be translated to make any sense - but I guess you used one of these funny online translators, right?!

OK, let's be friends again, I even have no clue why you tried to say rude things to me. Maybe you just had a bad day... lifting weights is a good way to get rid of any aggression.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:21 PM

Re: Re: Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

Scheißekopf! [/B]
I’m a little bit confused myself. Being a Norwegian, the German language is mandatory in our schools, and Scheißekopf is a new word for me as well. And Mortenstein is German, so he should definitely know.

Another thing. Konigstiger is actually the German name of the infamous King Tiger (Königstiger) tank from WWII. What a nickname…..

Sorry guys. I just had to …….
Old 02-11-2004, 07:27 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Are you on some kind of drugs?? First of all... your comment has absolutely nothing to do with the threat and second... if you try to insult people, either do it in your language or don't do it at all... funny though - but I guess you used one of these funny online translators, right?! OK, let's be friends again, I even have no clue why you tried to say rude things to me. Maybe you just had a bad day... lifting weights is a good way to get rid of any aggression.
Drugs? I use them to aid my weight lifting - size with definition baby! Bad day? Yes. Failed to increase my bench press weight and had to compensate with additional reps. That aside, all is cool. Humor comes across in so many different ways on this forum and sometimes gets lost in the "translation". Good schtick though: "Scheißekopf"... whatever that means. Btw... sh**head cannot be translated". Indeed, a gem!

Last but not least, stopped by my dealership and every '04 e-class on the floor has a C before the paint code.
Old 02-11-2004, 07:41 PM
Out Of Control!!

'71 Pinto
Re: Re: Re: Re: C means you have the new clearcoat.

Originally posted by Oslo
I’m a little bit confused myself. Being a Norwegian, the German language is mandatory in our schools, and Scheißekopf is a new word for me as well. And Mortenstein is German, so he should definitely know.

Another thing. Konigstiger is actually the German name of the infamous King Tiger (Königstiger) tank from WWII. What a nickname…..

Sorry guys. I just had to …….
Thought konigstiger was a perfect fit for the '03 E320 purchased. After all, it is the name of a tank (like the MB vehicles of past) yet the '03 has had its share of problems (just like the diesel powered King Tiger). What, you guys thought that is my name? As far as the translation of the word in question - it's slang, steet talk if you will. Positive they don't teach this in school - maybe the school yard. Oslo, Oslo, Oslo...
Old 02-11-2004, 09:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Looks like I stand corrected on this "C" prefix paint code subject.....
Old 02-12-2004, 04:09 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Checked for nano code.

Mine is an April 2003 build/End of May 2003 delivery and reads C359.
Old 02-12-2004, 04:28 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)

You always get one???? (This is my sense of humour and certainly NOT meant as being in any way sarcastic)

Well done, it seems you might have one of the 'trial' versions.

John