E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

How to replace the SBC pump on a w211

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-01-2019, 08:44 PM

Received 37 Likes on 34 Posts
w211 03'
Originally Posted by CDIJeff
To my knowledge the SBC has to be deactivated swapped then activated, since I think these get vin/code locked.
That is the reason you why you can't use a used or a junkyard SBC.
From your message it dose not seem that your mechanic deactivated your old one, then they probably haven't activated your new one.
That is the reason for the computer that runs Xentry to do all this in my case it was the Dell D630 with the C3.
The fastest way to tell if its activated would be just try to start and more the car out of park.
If you have a red brake error message they didn't do it right. Otherwise you can follow my write-up and check the pedal counter as well as the pump cycle life to see if it a really low number.
You can't really go off by noise since the new pump will probably be quieter since they are rebuilt to a higher standard then when they were made.
If your mechanic just pulled the SBC without deactivating it they probably need to put it back in then deactivate it, then swap the new one in.
I haven't done it out of sequence so I have no idea what will happen if you just take it out and try to put a new one in.
You really need to check Xentry, to do this without any of that information I can't really help without that information.
Originally Posted by boygood
1.) Hi, does this mean that i cannot use or install the new SBC pump because it was preowned? do i have to program it?

2.) my new sbc, after installing it gets hot and i can hear clicking sound, does this mean it is active and working?

Nope, I bought a used sbc pump, just looked for the compatible part number and bought one 300usd off eBay. Followed the procedures on xentry, bleed etc and all done. After that I could check the pedal count and other stuff on xentry which showed that it was used, meaning the pump retains information about its usage but it’s not vin locked or coded.
There’s a post also that you can do the swap with another Obd scanner that has specifics to Benz sbc pump and change it without a xentry. Read it a year ago in Mercedes medic I believe.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:48 PM

w211 03'
1. When you say new do you mean brand new / rebuilt from Bosch since you can't buy these new? Or was this taken from another vehicle then just swapped in?

If its used probably not, unless it was properly deactivated from the vehicle it came from then activated in yours but even then I can't prove that and I doubt anyone on this forum has done it that way.
Also I don't know what model pump numbers work with what vehicles, that I found out through a vin match. Last a used pump you are kinda gambling with how long it will last.

2. Mine does not get hot and doesn't make a clicking noise more of a humming noise from it building pressure.

3. I really have no idea other then the if your not getting any faults its probably a mechanical issue or software based that can't be seen without Xentry/Star.
2. Don’t think it has to be properly deactivated/removed since 99% of eBay pumps are form accidents..
Old 02-01-2019, 08:51 PM

w211 03'
Originally Posted by boygood
1.) Hi, does this mean that i cannot use or install the new SBC pump because it was preowned? do i have to program it?

2.) my new sbc, after installing it gets hot and i can hear clicking sound, does this mean it is active and working?
2. It seems as a bad install, not bleeded correctly, not following procedures in xentry. Etc .

You bought it with the same part number?
compatible with your chassis?
or just ordered an sbc pump?

Last edited by cMazara; 02-01-2019 at 10:49 PM.
Old 02-01-2019, 08:52 PM

w211 03'
Also, my w211 is european and the used pump I got is from an usa car.
Old 02-01-2019, 11:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e200
Originally Posted by cMazara

2. It seems as a bad install, not bleeded correctly, not following procedures in xentry. Etc .

You bought it with the same part number?
compatible with your chassis?
or just ordered an sbc pump?
1. bought the part exactly the same part no, but its from a w219 chassis and mine is w211. But it fits perfectly.

2.so are u saying, if i dont follow properly the procedures in xentry, i might not be able to get it to start(sbc pump)?

Old 02-01-2019, 11:22 PM

e200

Nope, I bought a used sbc pump, just looked for the compatible part number and bought one 300usd off eBay. Followed the procedures on xentry, bleed etc and all done. After that I could check the pedal count and other stuff on xentry which showed that it was used, meaning the pump retains information about its usage but it’s not vin locked or coded.
There’s a post also that you can do the swap with another Obd scanner that has specifics to Benz sbc pump and change it without a xentry. Read it a year ago in Mercedes medic I believe.
on the bleeding procedure, will the pump be instantly activated and help with the bleeding? Or "after" u correctly bleeded it and finsih all the xentry procedure will it start to run or work?
Old 02-09-2019, 10:42 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E320
Hey there,
I'm new to the W211 world, so please be patient with me. Wasn't this pump recently declared under warranty for 25 years?
Old 02-09-2019, 11:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,467 Likes on 1,148 Posts
2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by jaydub727
Hey there,
I'm new to the W211 world, so please be patient with me. Wasn't this pump recently declared under warranty for 25 years?
Yes, but that's for the US market. We never got an E200 in the US so the warranty wouldn't apply in a different country.
Old 03-20-2019, 01:43 PM

E200 2002 kompressor
when replacing sbc pump, do i need to remove the liquid first on the reservoir?
Old 03-20-2019, 01:51 PM

w211 03'
Originally Posted by verlin samonte
when replacing sbc pump, do i need to remove the liquid first on the reservoir?
do not remove anything without the benz computer that disables it.

better search for the 25 year warranty.
Old 03-20-2019, 08:40 PM

E200 2002 kompressor
do not remove anything without the benz computer that disables it.

better search for the 25 year warranty.
the warranty does not apply in our country (philippines). i have benz tool to disable, though i want to check if those who remove their sbc, if they drain the fluid in the fluid reservoir first or not. its not mentioned on Wis
Old 03-20-2019, 08:47 PM

Received 43 Likes on 21 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Whatever you can get out of the reservoir with a suction pump, in the end its going to drip out of the lines and your going to have to fill it back up. As long as the pump has been turned off in Xentry you are fine.
Old 06-06-2021, 01:51 AM

w222
help for mb sd c4

This is a long awaited thread on the SBC pump for Mercedes W211 specifically my model was used the 2005 E320 CDI North American Version 211.026 the .026 is the sedan not the hatchback. Long story short dealer told me my SBC pump was going, and it was out of warranty going to cost around $2400 plus tax to get it done. Did not want to pay that so I did a ton of research and help through the forum and its members was able to get it all done myself. THIS CANNOT BE DONE WITHOUT A MERCEDES MULTIPLEXER putting that right out there. If you don't want to buy a Multiplexer then a computer in my case a Dell D630, then take it to the dealer this can not be done without it.

There are three types of multiplxers out there right now a C3, C4, and a C5. It is up to you to get what you want and need. The brand and version Multiplxer I bought was Super MB C3 Top Version with the Dell D630 HDD. I bought the Dell D630 separate from Ebay. If you choose to get the same version as me do not get the external HDD with VMware way to many bugs and problems. Google if you don't trust me.

Now that is all taken care of and you decided to purchase your Mercedes Multiplexer, now onto the pump. Buy your pump from a reputable source with VIN match, I got mine from EEuroparts. Now you have your Multiplexer and SBC pump. Now you need a motive pump for your model. That is because you will need to build brake pressure when you go to bleed the brakes since its an electronic brake system, then last fluid at least 3 quarts worth. I bought a 5 quart cheaper online from Amazon then buying three separate quarts. Then little things such as rags and gloves since brake fluid will drip everywhere.

Besides basic hand tools, jack, jack stand impact, torque wrench for tires, and the multiplexer, not much is really needed for this. Any DIY mechanic at home stuff.

Step one is jacking up the vehicle on all four and taking off all the tires. Not much needed for this.
Step two is to disable the SBC. This is done though your newly acquired computer/Multiplexer. As shown below.

Plug into OBD2

Mine plugged into the serial port the green on the left.

Load Up software Double Click Xentry

Wait for it to load takes a min.

Click Mercedes

Choose your model mine W211

.026 is sedan version

Click the button on the left and wait for it to load.

Press F2

Press F2

Ok now your loaded up, here is a video showing exactly what to press. Trying to keep this short as possible.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EEzZj686DZU

Now that your SBC is deactivated, you can take it apart. For me the whole unit came out with a 11mm line wrench and a 12mm wrench for the one line in the top right that was different then the rest. The plug was disconnected. Then it was held in with three grommets then just popped out.

Comes right out

This plug.

Step 3
Now to install the new SBC, you first have to remove the bracket from the old one its a tripod setup held in place with a 11mm bolt show in photos. Only fits in one way, lip over the black ball and the two tabs keep it in place.

Step 4. Install the new SBC, same way it came out with the line wrenches.
If you are having problems screwing the leads into the new pump. I recommended buying a small brake line that will screw into the SBC pump. I brought my old pump to a local auto parts store and bought a cheap brake line that was m10x1.0 this is to help clean up the threads if need be.

Step 5 now to activate and bleed the brakes of the new SBC.

Step 1 for activation

Step 2 for activation

Step 3 for activation

Do these three steps before hitting activate.
Just follow the instructions and there is no need for me to take photos the computer tells you to do everything.

Hook up your Motive bleeder and set it to 20 lbs as it says and go from there. I believe the brake line was a 3/8 tube and a 14mm wrench. This part is the same as any other with bleeding, hook up a clear tube to a reservoir.
Here is a great thread on bleeding basically the steps are the same, except my CDI did not have two valves in the front only one per wheel.
https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...id-change.html

Now that the pump is replaced, fluid is change, and is activated, the last thing to do is check to see if the new pump pedal count and acutations were reset back down to zero are as close to zero as possible. The number may not be zero since these parts are refurbished and tested according to Bosch so some variations will apply.

Step 1 For checking pump counter reset start with development data.

Step 2 For checking pump counter reset.

Step 3 For checking pump counter reset.

Step 4 For checking pump counter reset.

Results are that it is where it should be

Old SBC pump.

New SBC pump Results

No Malfunction so all is a success

After activating a message came on told me SBC pump cycle was reset and showed a number for 5000 out of 50 million before it was up to 10 million. I have checked to see if the pedal counter also was reset and it was as shown in photos. I will say the new pump is quiet, near silent and the pedal is a lot more firm. That may just be because the old system was not holding a charge at all.
A big thanks to Russell Ormerod and the rest of the forum for helping me out. If I find more information or if others have more feel free to add.

If you like the write up check out my other write ups.
I have learned alot from write-ups and only fair to post info I get to the forum.
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...der-150-a.html
https://mbworld.org/forums/e-class-w...s-upgrade.html
Hi friends
I want to switch sbc to w211.
sbc, now on Mercedes, is numbered 9712.
Because I can not find this number in my city, I want to install another number and I have been told that the new code will be introduced in diag mb star c4 in programming.
Please, if you know, guide me in which c4 section should I introduce the new code so that I do not have to replace the ESP unit?
Now sbc 9712 is on the car
And it is broken because it replaces the internal error and nothing can be done.
Now I want to close another code in w211 and should I introduce this code in c4?
Thanks
Old 08-25-2021, 09:14 AM

e320
The Old/Bad SBC won’t communicate

So I have a 2006 E320 and the SBC went out suddenly and makes a terrible noise. I bought a rebuilt unit from http://eeuroparts.com/

As I get started on the replacement, it doesn’t look like the Xentry will communicate with the failed unit. I plugged the diagnostics into my other E320 and it communicates fine so I assume that the SBC failed in a way that affects its communication.

I don’t see that addressed but it’s bound to come up with a completely failed unit, so I’m just disconnecting all of the power and replacing it and hoping I can reinitialize the new unit once I get to that point.
Old 08-25-2021, 09:34 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
Eeuroparts that's Connecticut. Are you US based? Isn't your SBC covered by MBUSA warranty?
Old 08-25-2021, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Sbc

[QUOTE=Tschuss_Bill;8403170]Eeuroparts that's Connecticut. Are you US based? Isn't your SBC covered by MBUSA warranty?[/QUOTE
I think this is correct. Buddy of mine had his replaced no questions asked by a dealer couple years ago. 2004 e320 wagon.
Old 08-25-2021, 11:03 AM

e320
Well, I had read an MBUSA memo that said they increased the warranty to 10 years... so I thought I was DIY, but I called the dealer and you are correct, they deal with that.... super, glad I havent taken it apart yet...
Old 08-25-2021, 11:40 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320 CDI
10 years. That was in 2005. Recently increased to 25 years.
Old 03-23-2022, 09:11 PM

2005 E320
Hello, very interesting info....thanks

Last edited by Dici; 03-23-2022 at 09:39 PM.