E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Nav system in new E has voice activation

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-01-2002, 05:11 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nav system in new E has voice activation

Read an online article that says the nav system in the new E will, for the first time, have the ability to be controlled using the Linguatronic voice-activated control system... cool! Here's the link, however, it was one small paragraph about 3/4 through the article (3rd paragraph from the bottom) and did not give further details.

http://ca.autos.yahoo.com/cd/prvw/pr...enzeclass.html

Last edited by vectra; 04-01-2002 at 05:18 PM.
Old 04-02-2002, 09:43 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Nav system in new E has voice activation

Originally posted by vectra
Read an online article that says the nav system in the new E will, for the first time, have the ability to be controlled using the Linguatronic voice-activated control system... cool! Here's the link, however, it was one small paragraph about 3/4 through the article (3rd paragraph from the bottom) and did not give further details.

I think this is a sign of Mercedes Benz starting to pay attention to the competition and meeting and hopefiully exceeding the challenge. The Infiniti Q45 is one of the main competitors to the E Class and it has the option of Voice activated Navigation, Audio Control, Climate control and the like. So I for one am very glad this is happening.
I hope it works as well as the Q45's voice system.
Old 04-02-2002, 10:12 AM
Out Of Control!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Re: Nav system in new E has voice activation

Originally posted by vectra

This sounds like the new Infinity commercial. If you have seen the new infinity their top of the line car it also has voice activated control system. hhhhmmm
Old 04-02-2002, 01:28 PM

'01 CLK 55
....No; it doesn't remind me of the Infinity commercial. MBZ has got to change the name of that system (LINGUAtronic??! yeeeesh!).....Gets my peverted mind going every time I read it.
Old 04-03-2002, 03:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Re: Nav system in new E has voice activation

Originally posted by JamE55

This sounds like the new Infinity commercial. If you have seen the new infinity their top of the line car it also has voice activated control system. hhhhmmm
The thing here is that MB had this first!
They however appear to have made it available to work only with the Cell Phone option.
Too bad Infiniti beat them to the punch in advertising... also the RADAR guided cruise control was out my MB first too.... and LEXUS just advertised it on TV first.
Methinks the Advertising guys at MB should be replaced with a bunch who can connect to the younger more affluent MB potential customer while not alienating the Older established base of repeat buyers.
Just my $0.02
Old 04-03-2002, 06:41 PM
dcc

1999 MB E320
don't disagree with silver_lana's comments. do think mb $ best spent on the engineering side; particularly safety.

saw an article today re: our (americans) increasing tendency to rudeness. road rage mentioned all too frequently. perhaps overly optimistic, but believe informed consumers regardless of age will recognize safety benefit of buying mb.
Old 04-09-2002, 10:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by dcc
don't disagree with silver_lana's comments. do think mb $ best spent on the engineering side; particularly safety.

saw an article today re: our (americans) increasing tendency to rudeness. road rage mentioned all too frequently. perhaps overly optimistic, but believe informed consumers regardless of age will recognize safety benefit of buying mb.
true...
i do wish that MB spent a little more money on advertising the excellent features of their cars though....
Old 04-09-2002, 11:07 PM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
Unhappy Nav System

What from I understand, you can operate the nav system from the radio controls and steeing wheel function...obviously we can communicate faster with our fingers than our voice. Voice Recognition systems are great...but it is still slow and not perfect.
Sean
Old 04-11-2002, 10:00 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Nav System

Originally posted by Sean
What from I understand, you can operate the nav system from the radio controls and steeing wheel function...obviously we can communicate faster with our fingers than our voice. Voice Recognition systems are great...but it is still slow and not perfect.
Sean
Remember.... all natural input systems are still in their infancy and they are just basically voice patterm matchers. That will improve as time goes on byt i have to say.. its a lot better tha i thought it would be.
Too bad nobody ever reviews this sort of thing in their magazines.
Oh well....

Last edited by Silver_Lana; 04-11-2002 at 10:53 AM.
Old 04-11-2002, 10:07 AM

1999 Porsche 911 Carrera
Voice

Generally with voice systems, there are so many inputs that one would get frustrated, if your stereo is on, you have to turn it off, if you want to use voice command you have to press a button first...whats the point? I believe that the new Motorola V66 phone now available has voice comand built into the actual phone, but it does not work once docked into the car unless you opt for the mercedes voice comand option.
Sean
Old 04-11-2002, 10:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Re: Voice

Originally posted by Sean
Generally with voice systems, there are so many inputs that one would get frustrated, if your stereo is on, you have to turn it off, if you want to use voice command you have to press a button first...whats the point? I believe that the new Motorola V66 phone now available has voice comand built into the actual phone, but it does not work once docked into the car unless you opt for the mercedes voice comand option.
Sean
Would you really want your Navigation system taking directions from Marilin Manson? "Highway to HELL!!!!!" from the Radio or a CD (if youre into that.. ) but the point is the system has to filter out your command from a sea of noise... and the button is just a way to the system to know to start filtering or actively listening for command input.