E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

09 E350 california edition fuel pump problems!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-07-2017, 11:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E350
Fuel tank/pump replacement

I'm in the same boat now on my 08 so I'm wondering if you fixed your fuel tank/pump issue and if so what did you finally do?
Old 09-19-2017, 02:55 PM

2009 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by chieftain12
I'm in the same boat now on my 08 so I'm wondering if you fixed your fuel tank/pump issue and if so what did you finally do?
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you....
So i didn't want to buy a whole new sealed gas tank due to the ridiculous price of the California edition gas tank, so i found out what fuel pump i needed, that is in there, or that will work for the car, (i can't remember the exact pump, ill find out for you if you need to DM me an ill look it up an find it) i carefully cut open the top of the tank underneath the back seats thru the access panel, siphoned the gas out of it, cleaned it up, and put that fuel pump which like i said i can't remember the EXACT mercedes it is put factory in, i think its either a CL or something like that, but its the same fuel pump thats in the California editions (our BENZ'). SO again ALL i had to do was to cut open the top of the tank, carefully, clean out the tank where i could reach, or up until, siphon the gas, replace the pump, and seal the tank back up.....

Although i could not weld the tank back together because well for obvious reasons, all i had to do was seal it properly and seal that seal properly (there are MANY ways to reseal an opening, just make sure to only cut as much as you need to slide the used pump out and slide the NEW pump right back in there) its been working ever since NO ISSUES (spit spit spit....Knock on wood) and the car has been running perfectly no stutters no half starts, no non starts, and most importantly NO PROBLEMS AND NO FUEL SMELL where i cut the tank open! If any questions give me a call or PM and i will be glad to help you out!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:00 PM

2009 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
That shows that practice can be different in different shops.
When I had fuel pump fire on 6 years old ML, it was regional representative who called me to pick up the check and it was regional representative who took the burned pump from me.
Dealers at the time washed their hands.

You had a fire, i DIDNT have a fire, my pump was just failing, i don't see your point, 2 completely different stories, sorry....mine is a wear and tear part....your pump caught fire...they could have had a law suit or something of that nature so they obviously will cover there *** faster if the pump caught fire....mine was just dying under normal "wear and tear" there is nothing alike with our situations. times are different and dealers STILL wash their hands with things...jsut not with things that will cost them money for something that wasn't there fault and wouldnt ever be found to be there fault or a bad faulty pump....and plus, the ML is the most horrible mercedes you can buy in terms of mechanical issues and problems....just speaking from experience with seeing more ML benz' then any other!

Believe me, if my pump caught fire, i would be getting my whole entire car replaced for a brand new better way more expensive benz, rather then just a new pump....

You are right, Practice is different in different shops.....There are shops that want to make money instead of losing money...
what i mean by that is the fact that if i had my same problem in your shop, they still would have told me it is a wear and tear problem....a pump catching fire isn't a wear and tear problem...its a faulty pump problem which means they HAD to do something for you...no one is going to replace a $3k fuel tank (because there sealed pumps) all because of a wear and tear part...Your dealer wouldnt have replaced yours for free if it was normal wear and tear problem, and ESPECIALLY beause YOU DONT HAVE A SEALED FUEL TANK....your tank you can take the pump in and out as many times as you would like....OUR CALIFORNIA EDITION BENZ' ARE SEALED TANKS....THAT MEANS NO TAKING A FAULTY PUMP IN AND OUT NOT EVEN ONCE....you need to read the thread carefully....we don't have ML we have E class benz'.... if that dealer replaced my pump and others like mine for free regional manager, CEO, CFO, doesn't matter who, they WOULDNT make a dime from ppl, and go out of business real fast!

AND if you read the forum more carefully next time, or wherever you are searching, you need to read everyones post....the warranty is 8 years or 80 thousand miles which ever come first...so ur 6 year old ML was in the warranty period!

Last edited by vette0624; 09-19-2017 at 03:08 PM.
Old 09-19-2017, 03:11 PM

2009 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by cmriv
why don't you just buy a pump gaskets lock rings ect and pay a indy to install???

you say replacing only the pump and pressure regulator aren't a option. Do they expect every consumer with a california car to purchase a 3k$ tank if pump fails? nah. Find out what part number is via epc.net, google search part and have indy install....
That is EXACTLY what they expect....i have no idea where your head is at or what your thinking about....but they want to make money and thats exactly how they make money...

Let alone it was a stupid design that they changed only ONE year after they made it!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:17 PM

E350
Fuel Pump

Yes that would be great if you could look up the pump information,
this whole thing drives me crazy
wondering why they had to build it this way,
So you cut the tank under the passage side opening right?

Originally Posted by vette0624
So i didn't want to buy a whole new sealed gas tank due to the ridiculous price of the California edition gas tank, so i found out what fuel pump i needed, that is in there, or that will work for the car, (i can't remember the exact pump, ill find out for you if you need to DM me an ill look it up an find it) i carefully cut open the top of the tank underneath the back seats thru the access panel, siphoned the gas out of it, cleaned it up, and put that fuel pump which like i said i can't remember the EXACT mercedes it is put factory in, i think its either a CL or something like that, but its the same fuel pump thats in the California editions (our BENZ'). SO again ALL i had to do was to cut open the top of the tank, carefully, clean out the tank where i could reach, or up until, siphon the gas, replace the pump, and seal the tank back up.....

Although i could not weld the tank back together because well for obvious reasons, all i had to do was seal it properly and seal that seal properly (there are MANY ways to reseal an opening, just make sure to only cut as much as you need to slide the used pump out and slide the NEW pump right back in there) its been working ever since NO ISSUES (spit spit spit....Knock on wood) and the car has been running perfectly no stutters no half starts, no non starts, and most importantly NO PROBLEMS AND NO FUEL SMELL where i cut the tank open! If any questions give me a call or PM and i will be glad to help you out!
Old 09-19-2017, 03:25 PM

2009 Mercedes E350
Originally Posted by kajtek1
I think working fuel pressure is 35 psi, but you might want to know that you are dealing with "saddle tank" who is having 2 separate chambers at lower point and is using returning fuel to run Venturi pump for fuel transfer from side to side.
So even your outside pump might work, you might run out of fuel having 6 gallons in the tank.
I know that messing up with MB designs opens whole can of worms and usually is not worth it.
Than you spoke to the dealers. I don't have good opinion about their education as I was teaching my local dealers about governors installed on the cars their sell.
Once again, call national line and talk to somebody who knows what he is doing.
Im sorry but it doesn't sound like you have any idea what is going on....I intact replaced the fuel pump after i cut the tank open, not the transfer return lines but the fuel pump itself, and i ran the car till it has less gas then the pump can lift and it worked perfectly and is still working perfectly transferring gas from one side to the other....

Another words, PLEASE DO NOT EVERT START OUT A SENTENCE by saying and i quote "YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW" and then continue on by explain how it works...
Some ppl know more then others.....not saying i know more then you, I'm just merely stating a fact....ive owned a high end body shop in Philadelphia, only working on high end vehicles for the past 20 years JUST at this ONE location (i have several) so all I'm tying to say is, before you say things like that which make it seem like your trying to teach me something, DONT, because you never know who knows more about what and who is from where or what they do for a living....im sure i could teach you a few things, and I'm sure you could teach me a few things, but i didnt start out by saying " THE THING YOU DONT KNOW IS THAT THIS IS A CALIFORNIA EDITION MERCEDES WITH A SEALED TANK AND UNLESS YOU EVER UNSEALED ONE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT WORKS IN THE CALIFORNIA EDITION FUEL TANKS"

This is a NON DISRESPECTFUL REPLY TO YOU, IM JUST STATING A FACT FOR THE "YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW" ppl!
Old 09-19-2017, 07:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
Im sorry but it doesn't sound like you have any idea what is going on....I intact replaced the fuel pump after i cut the tank open, not the transfer return lines but the fuel pump itself, and i ran the car till it has less gas then the pump can lift and it worked perfectly and is still working perfectly transferring gas from one side to the other....

Another words, PLEASE DO NOT EVERT START OUT A SENTENCE by saying and i quote "YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW" and then continue on by explain how it works...
Some ppl know more then others.....not saying i know more then you, I'm just merely stating a fact....ive owned a high end body shop in Philadelphia, only working on high end vehicles for the past 20 years JUST at this ONE location (i have several) so all I'm tying to say is, before you say things like that which make it seem like your trying to teach me something, DONT, because you never know who knows more about what and who is from where or what they do for a living....im sure i could teach you a few things, and I'm sure you could teach me a few things, but i didnt start out by saying " THE THING YOU DONT KNOW IS THAT THIS IS A CALIFORNIA EDITION MERCEDES WITH A SEALED TANK AND UNLESS YOU EVER UNSEALED ONE, YOU HAVE NO IDEA HOW IT WORKS IN THE CALIFORNIA EDITION FUEL TANKS"

This is a NON DISRESPECTFUL REPLY TO YOU, IM JUST STATING A FACT FOR THE "YOU MIGHT WANT TO KNOW" ppl!
Old 09-12-2018, 06:30 PM

e350

Send a direct message! Was wondering if you can provide the part number for the pump you used to replace the old non working pump. Also, where did you cut the whole to fit the new pump and what did you use to seal and reseal the tank?? Thank you Vette!!
Old 07-28-2019, 02:58 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08'e350
hi, can I get info on this alternative repair? mine's '08 with 158k miles... just out side of 150k warranty and dealer won't honor. many tks!!!
Old 04-22-2020, 09:43 PM

2008 e350
Originally Posted by Omar Villasenor
Send a direct message! Was wondering if you can provide the part number for the pump you used to replace the old non working pump. Also, where did you cut the whole to fit the new pump and what did you use to seal and reseal the tank?? Thank you Vette!!
so did you guys end up fixing your pump issue and also if you could tell me the part numbers please, i ran into the same problem and im out of warranty, the car is at 162k miles.
Old 05-04-2020, 12:49 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
08'e350
replaced with new tank. cost an arm and a leg.. install myself, wasn't that bad, pretty straight forward, need patience.
Old 06-19-2022, 08:36 PM

2008 E350 mercedes-benz
Hello, could you please share the pump you used (part no. Model) and kindly let me kn

Hey guys, I'm having some problems with my fuel pump on my 2009 E350, its the California edition emissions so it has the special fuel pump that they only made for a couple years so now that my fuel pump went bad slash or sending unit, i need to replace my WHOLE gas tank and replacing JUST the fuel pump and sending unit IS NOT an option, normally!!!!

So guys I'm trying to find out what else i can do because i DO NOT want to buy a whole new tank because its going to cost me $2,200 for the tank and pump since they say when the pump goes bad, the ONLY thing you can do with these CALIFORNIA EMISSIONS vehicles are to REPLACE the WHOLE tank WITH fuel pumps included, BUT as i said i DO NOT want to do this so i am TRYING to figure out a way to make this work or change out the pumps WITHOUT spending $2200 for a new tank!!!

Can someone PLEASE tell me what the fuel pressure should be for these cars? I'm asking because I'm going to try to figure out another way to fix it, WITHOUT changing the WHOLE entire tank, I'm going to figure something out on HOW to fix JUST the fuel pumps or modify them with parts from normal fuel pumps to make it work so i dont need to change the WHOLE tank..

GUYS THANKS IN ADVANCE ANY HELP IS GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!
How is it going with your solution? Hope very well. Could you please provide the new pump no
Old 10-10-2022, 03:36 AM

w211
W211 2006 PZEV tank . The original fuel pump died.
Replace only the fuel pump on the PZEV tank with a regular
fuel pump from a wrecked 2007 W211.
Old 12-10-2022, 11:49 AM

2008 E350 mercedes-benz
Pzev fuel tank replacement

Originally Posted by suka5168
W211 2006 PZEV tank . The original fuel pump died.
Replace only the fuel pump on the PZEV tank with a regular
fuel pump from a wrecked 2007 W211.
..it's sealed tank built on the fuel pump so the pump is not replaceable
Old 12-10-2022, 12:09 PM

w211
Originally Posted by Sedeaq
..it's sealed tank built on the fuel pump so the pump is not replaceable
says who,?
its been working and saved $6000 quote from the dealer.
Old 12-10-2022, 03:25 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 412 Likes on 343 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by suka5168
says who,?
its been working and saved $6000 quote from the dealer.
🤣 Im sure top not workmanship too. Rolling fuel bomb you got there.
Old 12-10-2022, 06:35 PM

w211
Originally Posted by tjts1
Why would you need to change an entire fuel tank just to change the fuel pump?
The none PZEV models have identical components on the inside and are interchangeable.
The only difference is the EVAP venting system. Not paying the dealer $6000 to replace an entire fuel tank for a $10 IDENTICAL used pump from the junk yard.

Old 12-10-2022, 06:45 PM

w211
Originally Posted by tjts1

Fit perfectly on PZEV models!

https://www.ebay.com/itm/37360818957...xoC22oQAvD_BwE
Old 03-21-2024, 10:54 PM

2008 e350
Originally Posted by konigstiger
"California edition" and "replace whole fuel tank" lead me to believe this is a PZEV vehicle if so, you are entitled to no cost repair under emission warranty see attachment. Check your PM.

do you know if this is still a thing I have an 08 Mercedes Benz e350 and it’s having a very hard time starting and it smells like gas when it’s parked in the garage which leads me to believe that it is the fuel pump it’s under 150k miles so would I just call Mercedes or how would I do this