E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Has anyone had their "phone disconnecting" problem solved?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-11-2004, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'07 Porsche 997TT
Has anyone had their "phone disconnecting" problem solved?

I know there are some of you who are having problems w/ the V60 disconnecting from the system. You get a "phone off" message in the dash, and have to flip open the phone and turn it on again. I have been having this problem since I got the car, along with the radio static problem. The car has been in 3 times for this. The last time being a few weeks ago. The radio problem seems to be corrected (knocking on wood). The phone seemed to be fixed for a week or two. The last several days however, it has been unbelievable. Yesterday, I must have re-booted the thing 8 times in a matter of 10 minutes. Just wondering if anyone knows of a fix.
Old 04-11-2004, 09:33 PM
Almost a Member!

E500 Sport Wagon and Sl500
Same phone problem......like your situation, radio "static" fixed, but phone continues to shut off! Dealer has no clue and can't duplicate. I'll let you know if we solve it. I also have problem with drivers "Dynamic Seat", must push memory button aprx. every 15 mins. to reinflate lumbar and reset side bolsters. At least it keeps me alert.
Old 04-15-2004, 11:48 AM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
Ditto - Same V60 phone problems. Have never figured out any pattern to its behavior. I have simply learned to be grateful when it does work
Old 05-04-2004, 03:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Re: Has anyone had their "phone disconnecting" problem solved?

Originally posted by cte430
I know there are some of you who are having problems w/ the V60 disconnecting from the system. You get a "phone off" message in the dash, and have to flip open the phone and turn it on again.
I was wondering if you have had this issue resolved yet?

Regards,
John
Old 05-04-2004, 08:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
John, the problem still persists. Sometimes it's better than others. There are days when it will shut off literally 6 times in 15 minutes, then it will go a week with no problem.

It most likely won't get fixed as I am picking up my E55 AMG tomorrow and they are moving the phone from my E500 to the E55. Saved me $1,500 from having to buy a new one. However, maybe a new would work!
Old 05-04-2004, 09:41 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by cte430
John, the problem still persists. Sometimes it's better than others. There are days when it will shut off literally 6 times in 15 minutes, then it will go a week with no problem.
Hi Chris,
Thanks for the prompt reply. My vehicle goes back to the dealer on the 6th May and one of the problems seems similar to what you are suffering, but luckily it is nowhere near as bad.

The first time we go to use our mobile phone the message, "Call not possible" comes up on the COMAND screen. As soon as the phone is removed and replaced, it will work perfectly.

So far the dealer has upgraded the software, and the next visit, they replaced the telephone cradle all to no effect.

Unlike the US in the UK the mobile telephone has to be a Nokia and I am certain the telephone is not the problem.

The dealer is doing what they can to remedy the fault and they are as frustrated as myself because as soon as they take the
phone out and replace it the fault will NOT reappear for a considerable time.

I don't think though that the wife would think that would make a good enough reason to swap our vehicle for the E55 AMG Estate

Good luck with your new car.

John
Old 05-04-2004, 11:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
I had the problem twice. I removed the phone from the cradle & noticed that the dealer had installed a plastic flat credit card sized "spacer" that is labled for use with the phone having the extended battery (& oversize rear cover I would assume). The phone has neither, so my guess is that the spacer should not be in there.

I am doing more homework, but believe that is the spacer is there improperly, & it is causing the phone to jiggle in the cradle & make & break elctrical contact. My guess is that this might cause the phone to shut off.

Cutting the power repeatedly on & off to electronic equipment is known as a "dirty" power supply in other applications, and causes problems such as shut down, loss of memory etc.

I don't think its the phone. Motorola has made tons of V-60's for all major carriers & it is a proven phone. I don't think the car can accidently turn a phone off, so I am looking for something simple & stupid.
Old 05-05-2004, 03:34 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by Barry45RPM
I don't think the car can accidently turn a phone off, so I am looking for something simple & stupid.
Hi Barry,
That has always been my philosophy when trying to locate any fault. Always try the ‘simple’ first.

Unfortunately, your suggestion has been ruled out on two counts. Firstly I checked to make sure there was nothing else ‘accidentally’ left in the cradle. Secondly, on a return visit to the dealer they actually replaced the original cradle.

In the UK we have the Nokia mobile telephone and I suppose like your Motorola, this is a very common brand of telephone that is extremely reliable.

Although this is a very minor ‘niggle’ it has been ongoing since I took delivery of the vehicle at the beginning of February.

Regards,
John
Old 05-05-2004, 09:07 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Barry, I believe that there are a total of three spacers, one for each of the three different types of battery offered on that phone. What you mention about it jiggling is possible, and it should say on the spacer itself for what type of batter it should be used with.
Old 05-05-2004, 06:18 PM

2004 E500
I've had a similar but slightly different problem. And I don’t think it is related to how the phone is seated in the holder. I have the new V60s and have removed the insert (since the V60s is thicker than the V60i even with its standard slim battery)

My problem is that after about 4-5 successful "boot-ups" when I start the car, I will experience a "freeze". When the freeze occurs, I get the "Wait, phone activating" message which stays on as long as the car is on. The phone is on but frozen. No functions will work in the holder. When removed from the holder, the backlight is on but the sucker is frozen solid. No amount of pressing and holding the Power button or any other button will unfreeze the bugger. I must remove the back and the battery. Thus unfrozen, the phone will start up normally either outside or in the holder. No apparent rhyme or reason the to the number of boot-ups before a freeze occurs. Sometimes 5-6, sometimes once and then a freeze.
Old 05-05-2004, 10:04 PM

Received 84 Likes on 56 Posts
Seems like I have had multiple of the problems and some others. I have experienced the same thing as Rudegar, but most of the time, my phone will say "wait activating phone" and the phone will be power cycling in the cradle, turns on, and then off, then on, then off. If I remove from the cradle and re-insert it starts to work. This happens very often about 1 in 4 times I put the phone in the cradle.

I also tried the spacer thing, ruled it out, because I have had instances when the phone is working fine, I turn off the car, don't remove the phone, come back in a while turn the car back on, and it gets into the "activating phone" loop (phone has not moved in the cradle between the turning off and on the car).

I think it is firmware problem, my guess the firmware problem is on the phone not the PSE. I love this option, but with this problem, it is not work the $2K. I still have to take it in to the dealer for this, maybe I will do it in 1 week or so.
Old 05-06-2004, 10:58 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have just been informed that Mercedes-Benz have issued a technical bulletin stating they are aware of the issue and dealers are NOT to carry out any repairs because at present there is NOT a remedy.

Unfortunately this only applies to the Nokia mobile telephone, but my symptoms are very similar to some that have been described here.

Evidently they became aware of the problem on the 21st April and are working on a 'fix'

Many weeks ago a member stated he thought we were being used to develop this vehicle. I am beginning to agree with him.

John
Old 05-06-2004, 01:06 PM
Almost a Member!

E63 AMG
Similar issue with TeleAid phone

Hi All:

The integrated cellular service that TeleAid uses, which I believe is separate from my V60 integrated phone, has FAILED to connect the last 3 out of 4 times I have needed to use it. I used both the wrench and the 'i' button interchangeably with no luck. It dials the call, I hear clicks, then silence even though the call shows 'connected'.

I used to get an 'SOS Malfuntion' message in the dash display until they replaced the whole display assembly last year. I pray I never need to press the SOS button...
Old 05-06-2004, 01:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
Next time you call them, just stay on the line however long it takes them to get to you. On ocaisions when I have pressed the wrench button, it has dialed, said "connected", and then dead silence. I believe the calls are being answered and put in que, waiting for the next operator. My guess is that they only have 2 operators on at any given time...

I have waited for what seems like an eternity, with the word "connected" displaying, but then the call gets answered (eventually). Thats why they have 3 buttons...they all call the same place, but the computers prioritize the calls from:

SOS = Emergency or a dazed & confused old Gent
Wrench = Breakdown, but since you're not going anywhere, you have the time to wait.
Info = Read the manuals while you wait, dummy. We'll see who hangs up first.

At least OnStar answers immediately. It is by far, the better run service. I don't know why manufacturers feel they have to have their own call centers if they could buy the superior services already existing.
Old 05-10-2004, 07:37 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'07 Porsche 997TT
Hope i'm not jinxing myself but have had my E55 for about a week now. The dealer swapped my phone from my E500, which I was concerned about w/ all the disconnecting issues I had. Well, so far so good. No problems w/ phone or radio static. Hope it continues.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:04 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E500
Well it's been 7 months now and I'm still living with the integrated phone gremlins (powering off automatically, disconnecting from the system, not hanging up to complete call, etc.). They replaced my phone initially but this didn't work. Called the service technician a week ago to get an update on this problem and he indicated they're waiting for a software update to address and several owners, including me, are on his call list when and if it ever arrives. This is and has been my only complaint with my car - a $2,000 waste in my opinion. Anyone else with an update.
Old 05-26-2004, 06:45 PM

2004 E500
My car is in right now. They told me the problem was that I had an AT&T cradle and that the connector pin that inserts itself into the back of the phone was not long enough to make proper contact with my Verizon phone. We shall see!
Old 05-27-2004, 04:36 PM
Almost a Member!

2004 E211 240ET
nokia 6310i problems

I'm using my Nokia 6310i in my car with COMAND. It worked fine, integrated and all, but this winter it was working slower and slower. Could not use the phone through COMAND..got the message "please wait" when I touched the TEL button. After half an hour it seemed to work, then suddenly disconnect when trying to make a call. Got to my dealer, and they updated software for COMAND, talked to MB Techs in Germany, but noone had any answer. Then, while I was at my dealers, another customer came in and said he'd had the same problem. And he had the solution
Delete all messages in the inbox on your phone. (I had over 90 there!!) I did, and voila...phone worked as it should again!
It seems COMAND has a problem with reading all mail on the phone..that slows it down.
Hope this helps with other phones as well..
Old 05-27-2004, 06:21 PM
Almost a Member!

'04 E500
jomasa - I think problems in US are much more basic than what you describe. likely something to do with the German software's compatibility with US cellular technology and networks. Can't even get the damn thing to make a simple phone call correctly.

Rudegar - sounds like your dealer giving you a load of bull. TDMA connectors with CDMA phone. The cradle equipment is not dependent on the phone equipment and comes from the factory.