MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
what does Dave Smith Motors sell?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:11 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
I would assume that the list refers to Internet sales only. It doesn't seem to have much relationship to total sales. For instance, Longo Toyota near LA is the largest new car dealer in the country by both dollar and unit volume - about $500M and 20,000 new cars last year. Anybody know who is the largest M-B dealer in the US, in terms of dollars and/or unit volume?
Old 04-15-2004, 09:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally posted by DWP
I would assume that the list refers to Internet sales only. It doesn't seem to have much relationship to total sales. For instance, Longo Toyota near LA is the largest new car dealer in the country by both dollar and unit volume - about $500M and 20,000 new cars last year. Anybody know who is the largest M-B dealer in the US, in terms of dollars and/or unit volume?
I would tend to agree on the totals.

I think Fletcher Jones may be the largest MB dealer nationwide with stores in Chicago, Newport Beach and Las Vegas. His $30 million store in LV must need a lot of sales to pay the mortgage. He didn't get my sale...that went to Marcus-Benz...
Old 04-15-2004, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
I notice that there are no dealers from Washington State on the list. That would not surprise me except that there are about 10 from the state of Oregon. Oregon has about half the population of Washington. There more than 2 in the top 50 in Beaverton, Oregon alone. This is not a big place.

Wonder what causes this strange thing? Probably a lot of other states missing also.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:45 AM
jhh
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E500
Originally posted by etenn
I notice that there are no dealers from Washington State on the list. That would not surprise me except that there are about 10 from the state of Oregon. Oregon has about half the population of Washington. There more than 2 in the top 50 in Beaverton, Oregon alone. This is not a big place.

Wonder what causes this strange thing? Probably a lot of other states missing also.
California and Washinton have sales tax, Oregon doesn't.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:53 AM
Super Moderator

Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
2003 CL55 AMG
Originally posted by nyca
what does Dave Smith Motors sell?

Dave Smith is a huge Dodge, Jeep, Buick, Chev/GMC, Pontiac, Cadillac, Olds dealer.
Old 04-16-2004, 04:10 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'06 ML500 w/Apperance pkg & '07 SL550 w/AMG pkg
Originally posted by DWP
Anybody know who is the largest M-B dealer in the US, in terms of dollars and/or unit volume?
As far as volume goes Fletcher Jones in Newport Beach, CA is #1, House of Imports in Buena Park, CA is #2 and Ray Catena in Edison, NJ is #3!! After that it gets real blury as there are quite a few dealers fighting for those spots!
Old 04-16-2004, 04:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Fletcher Jones has to sell a ton to afford that monster lot of theirs. They didn't get my business cuz I'm not a clueless rich dude with money to burn. Probably why I didn't get treated nicely when I went there either. I'll always refer people to House of Imports over Fletcher. HOI needs a bigger lot tho. This is SoCal, we're not used to having to parallel park.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:16 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
2011 E350 Cabriolet..White and Almond Mocha
Originally posted by codex57
Fletcher Jones has to sell a ton to afford that monster lot of theirs. They didn't get my business cuz I'm not a clueless rich dude with money to burn. Probably why I didn't get treated nicely when I went there either. I'll always refer people to House of Imports over Fletcher. HOI needs a bigger lot tho. This is SoCal, we're not used to having to parallel park.
FJ in LV has a basement showroom (A/C) and displays over 225 cars there as well as a huge Formal showroom and outside display. Nice place to look but don't try and deal with those guys.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:24 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally posted by DWP
I would assume that the list refers to Internet sales only. It doesn't seem to have much relationship to total sales.
Correct, this is a top 100 e-dealers summary.

For overall sales volume: http://images.wardsdealer.com/files/...Dealer_500.pdf
Old 04-16-2004, 05:43 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally posted by jhh
California and Washinton have sales tax, Oregon doesn't.
Doesn't make any difference because both Washington and California charge the sales tax (as a "use" tax) when you bring the car into the state.
Old 04-16-2004, 05:54 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
You are absolutely right that FJ sell a ton and they are so profitable. In terms of arrogance, I am actually surprise that they (being in such an upscale area and selling such an upscale brand) have been more approachable many other MB dealers. I have been there with 'lesser cars' and have not gotten any cold shoulders. Since you spoke so highly about HOI, I will give them a try the next time.

The worst MB dealer I have run into is DOWNTOWN Motors near Staples Center in LA. I will NEVER buy a car from them. They have set the bench mark for arrogance (in my books) as a car dealer.
Old 04-16-2004, 06:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

03 White on Stone E320
Maybe I look poor. Or too young. Dunno. I also got the cold shoulder from a Toyota salesman when I was 16. But then again, all the other dealers I went to when I was looking for a car at that age treated me respectfully.

But I was in college when I stopped by Fletcher Jones. Granted I stopped by in a Civic, but I still don't think that shoulda been held against me. Lexus, BMW, Acura, and Infiniti dealers treated me fine when I went in at that age.
Old 04-16-2004, 08:10 PM

Some MBs & Bimmers
Maybe I look poor. Or too young. Dunno. I also got the cold shoulder from a Toyota salesman when I was 16. But then again, all the other dealers I went to when I was looking for a car at that age treated me respectfully.

But I was in college when I stopped by Fletcher Jones. Granted I stopped by in a Civic, but I still don't think that shoulda been held against me. Lexus, BMW, Acura, and Infiniti dealers treated me fine when I went in at that age.
I never understand what gives a person the right to treat others as second class just because they dress or drive with 'lesser imaged accessories'.

So far, in my books, FJ's sales team is respectable (NOT their service technicians) and I don't mind paying them a return visit. The only problem with FJ is that they are kinda rigid with their pricing.

If HOI is equivalent or better and more flexible in pricing, I will definitely entertainment them when I get my next toy. I think I will dress in my faded jeans and drive in with a clunker to test them out. : )
Old 04-25-2004, 06:53 PM

2003 CLK 320
I didn't have a good experience at HOI, my car wasn't ordered until several months after I was told it was placed because I originally wanted the keyless go without the bixenons. Then when it finally arrived 7 months later, they said I had to pick it up that Friday and couldn't guarantee my car would still be there Saturday (sounds like a threat to me) which is the day I wanted to go, because with traffic and the fact I needed some one to drive me there, it ended up taking me 4 hours to get there instead of a little over an hour plus really inconveniencing my family and girlfriend since we have to take off work early. My guess is Friday was the last day of the month and they wanted that sale at all costs.