E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E350 4Matic - DTC P2767 Turbine Speed Sensor/Conductor Plate issue

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-27-2017, 10:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2006 Mercedes S430
2008 E350 4Matic - DTC P2767 Turbine Speed Sensor/Conductor Plate issue

I have 2008 E350 4Matic with slight gear slipping probably caused by 722.9 notorious transmission issue. I got the DTC code P2767 Turbine Speed Sensor. I just start to have the gear slipping lately which causes the Limp mode, luckily I can just stop the car, shut it down, restart the car, then the transmission is reset itself so I can continue to drive, however, I think it will happen again and again, then eventually fails, no more reset.

I think I need to replace the speed sensors and they probably are on the conductor plate. From reading the info on internet and YouTube I see there are 2 round pods on the conductor plate, are they the real speed sensors, or are they just the covers of the speed sensor? Do the speeds sensor come with the conductor plate?

I would appreciate much if someone can tell me where to look for the good part. I can replace the conductor plate but not the valve body replacement since I read it must be reprogrammed by Indy shop or dealer, is it still true?

Thanks,

Pent
Old 06-28-2017, 10:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 29 Likes on 25 Posts
E
You have a 722.6 if it's a 4matic.

Genuine MB conductor plate is $140 on Amazon, $12 for the connector, $30 for filter and gasket, $90 for 12qt Shell ATF134 and that's all you need!

I did mine 15k ago due to shift flaring. its a messy job and time consuming but straight forward. Hardest part is putting the valve body back in as it's heavy and awkward if you are doing it solo on your back.

if you do it before the code sticks permanently, you won't need to take it to a shop to reset.

if you do indeed need a shop to reset the codes, just buy your own MB II scanner for $160 and reset it yourself. Most shops will charge you $150 to reset the code so it's a no brainer

Last edited by ps2cho; 06-28-2017 at 10:32 AM.
Old 06-28-2017, 08:02 PM

2006 Mercedes S430
Hello Ps2cho,
I thought I have 722.9 transmission but after reading your post I called the MB dealer, gave them my VIN and voila, they confirmed it is the old 722.6 type trans. However, it scares me a little bit since people always say 722.6 trans is almost bulletproof. With that in mind I decided to pay a visit to the local Indy shop and let them scan/diagnose rather than guessing what's wrong. To my relief it is the darn conductor plate with the speed sensors that is going bad. They cleared the code, gave me the Star scan printouts, and wished me luck. I drove home feeling good but $80 less in my pocket for the diagnose service. I now know what is wrong, and I will change the Conductor Plate myself when I order all the parts next week, it will be a messy work for sure but not too bad with simple tools.
I would like to share my experience and hope it will benefit people who prefer to work on their own.
1/ I don't know much about fixing car problems, however, with the evolution of the internet especially with YouTube I've started to explore the symptom, find the cause, and learn the repair notes/tips from people like you all. It really helps and saves me lots of money. After all, I have fun working on car problems knowing that I don't allow the MB dealership robbing me ridiculously. For example, prior going to the Indy shop today I called the dealer, they said give them the car, they will charge $150/hour to scan, then it might be up to 3 hours to troubleshoot the cause, and recommend the repair, that will add another bill.
2/ Don't mess with the dealer, work it yourself or pay a local Indy to perform the work. Do your homework by searching for local Indy shops, call them for repair pricing, and pick out the shop that has fair service charge and offers good services. Of course if you chose dealer service they mostly do the right repair but will cost you and arm and leg, some dealers just "tell" you what they want to do, for example, instead of saying it is the conductor plate issue they could say the entire piece must be replaced including the valve body, the TCM, the Conductor plate, etc, and worst of all the dealer OEM price for those parts are double or triple street price, and once the car in their shop you can't bail out, drive out unless paying what they said (what additional things they found out). I've been there.
3/ If you're lucky like me by living near any military bases regardless whether it is Navy, Air Force, or Army bases, you can rent a service bay hourly with Lift to work from underneath the car. Since military installation won't allow service member to fix car on base's streets they mostly have service bays to fix cars, and likely having bays for rent, too. Lately, I went to the base and rent the service bay for $5 - $7/Hr, and perform the service myself, the tools are free to borrow on the spot including air tools, impact wrenches, etc..., and the pneumatic lift is a time/life saver, especially working on the transmission repair, anything from the bottom of the car. You can go to the base with proper IDs. So, look for the directory or ask any service member for info of those service bays for rent.
For me, I will gather the parts and rent the bay for the conductor plate work, I figure out it will cost me less than $400 total v.s. $1000-1700 from dealer or Indy shop.

Pent
Old 03-17-2018, 10:40 AM

2006 R350
2006 R350 P2767 P2768 P0303

Could someone please tell me what the fix is for error codes P2767 P2768 and P0303
Old 03-17-2018, 12:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,736 Likes on 1,384 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
With 722.6 transmissions,, having ANY code start with replacing pilot bushing, washing the plug very well and inspecting TCM for fluid contamination.
That solves about 99% problems on them.