E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Figured out a way to manually control Airmatic

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-04-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG
Thumbs up Figured out a way to manually control Airmatic

After having so many issues with airmatic on my E63 I figured out a way to completely bypass the Airmatic Control Module. It was quite a headache and involved alot of RnD with my own vehicle. But now I have full control of each struts ride height, compressor and deflating each strut on demand.
I'm now trying to locate a shrader valve that taps in between each airline for emergency purposes in case the compressor fails that way I can air up at any gas station with a air pump or probably opting for a distribution block at each strut with a shrader valve and factory air line. Can also bypass the electronic reservoir struts in the rear electronically.
If there is enough demand I may make my own plug and play units before I step away from the MB scene.

Last edited by ProblematicE63; 08-04-2017 at 11:01 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by ProblematicE63:
jevlar (05-16-2019), scotty68 (01-14-2020)
Old 08-04-2017, 02:04 PM

Received 53 Likes on 35 Posts
s500 GL450 GL63 Z71XL Yukon 67 396 SS velle 68 Vert Camaro 69 RSSS Vert Camaro 75 Blazer
seems to me that all you would really need to do is to relocate the ride height sensor from each corner and put them on the interior of the vehicle with a manual adjuster. just like ridetech's air ride system.

also, though compressors do fail, going through all that trouble to introduce bypass shredder seems to be more trouble then its worth. now you would have more possible leak points that can have your system fail. If your compressor does go out, it is pretty simple to replace it. This is some good critical thinking but I really don't see the need to do this do ether the manual adjustment of the air shocks or adapting valves to the system.

just reread and I see you had a problem your airmatic. Was it with the control module?

Last edited by angelglo; 08-04-2017 at 02:08 PM.
Old 08-04-2017, 02:14 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 E63 AMG
Originally Posted by angelglo
seems to me that all you would really need to do is to relocate the ride height sensor from each corner and put them on the interior of the vehicle with a manual adjuster. just like ridetech's air ride system.

also, though compressors do fail, going through all that trouble to introduce bypass shredder seems to be more trouble then its worth. now you would have more possible leak points that can have your system fail. If your compressor does go out, it is pretty simple to replace it. This is some good critical thinking but I really don't see the need to do this do ether the manual adjustment of the air shocks or adapting valves to the system.

just reread and I see you had a problem your airmatic. Was it with the control module?
Airmatic for me was just a massive headache to where the compressor would never kick on although it said "Vehicle rising" One side would always be different than the other. Bags exploding when airing up. Airmatic malfunction messages constantly. Compressors getting damaged. Solenoids on the struts not triggering open etc. etc. No issues would get reported when scanned with DAS or Autel
Old 08-04-2017, 05:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,730 Likes on 1,380 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
You have air lane going under rear passenger seat, so tapping with a T and adding valve takes minutes.
Still how do you control the valves without SD ?

Last edited by kajtek1; 08-04-2017 at 06:17 PM.
Old 01-07-2020, 05:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
S430
Hi, would you be able to share your approach how you accomplished manual control of the suspension. Thanks
Old 01-29-2024, 11:13 AM

2000 Mercedes s 430
Originally Posted by ProblematicE63
After having so many issues with airmatic on my E63 I figured out a way to completely bypass the Airmatic Control Module. It was quite a headache and involved alot of RnD with my own vehicle. But now I have full control of each struts ride height, compressor and deflating each strut on demand.
I'm now trying to locate a shrader valve that taps in between each airline for emergency purposes in case the compressor fails that way I can air up at any gas station with a air pump or probably opting for a distribution block at each strut with a shrader valve and factory air line. Can also bypass the electronic reservoir struts in the rear electronically.
If there is enough demand I may make my own plug and play units before I step away from the MB scene.
Please tell me how you did it?
Old 01-29-2024, 12:11 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2006 E500
Originally Posted by ProblematicE63
If there is enough demand I may make my own plug and play units
i mean google and youtube show you how to inflate and delfete with a 9 volt battery, so im sure 'unit' isnt really special in the terms of making it a momentary switch controled system.
But, i could be grossly incorrect.
Seeing that you provided no pics or any more info about your 'unit' there is no real excitement to want to dredge up 'enough demand'

More info?
Old 01-29-2024, 12:21 PM

2000 Mercedes s 430
Originally Posted by IIGW
i mean google and youtube show you how to inflate and delfete with a 9 volt battery, so im sure 'unit' isnt really special in the terms of making it a momentary switch controled system.
But, i could be grossly incorrect.
Seeing that you provided no pics or any more info about your 'unit' there is no real excitement to want to dredge up 'enough demand'

More info?
Ive tried looking for a video on how to do that I can't find one if you can please send me a link... There is a video of how this one guy did it but he did not explain at all... Here is the link,
if you could explain this it would be really appreciated