E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Automatic Gearbox Nag 5 shifts

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-29-2004, 02:21 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Gearbox Nag 5 shifts

Hello,
I had an E270cdi (2000 model) and now I turn it into an E320cdi (W211).
Both the cars were ordered with the automatic 5 gears trasmition Nag.

Even if the new one has 204hp and the old one had 170hp, the E270 was quickier at the throttle response into the everyday drive.
Is it a gearbox software problem? Or the E270 had the torque zone at a lower rpm range? It seems the E320 is calmer during the normal car usage.

Do you have the same feelings?

Bye bye tebalto
Old 04-29-2004, 03:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Re: Automatic Gearbox Nag 5 shifts

Originally posted by tebalto
Hello,
I had an E270cdi (2000 model) and now I turn it into an E320cdi (W211).
Both the cars were ordered with the automatic 5 gears trasmition Nag.

Even if the new one has 204hp and the old one had 170hp, the E270 was quickier at the throttle response into the everyday drive.
Is it a gearbox software problem? Or the E270 had the torque zone at a lower rpm range? It seems the E320 is calmer during the normal car usage.

Do you have the same feelings?

Bye bye tebalto
The 320 should be far more responsive.

Actual figures are:
0 - 100km
270CDI 9 sec Top Speed 143mph (not sure of Kph)
320CDI 7.7 sec 151mph

'Fastbuck' had some sort of acceleration problem with his 320CDI but had it sorted out very quickly by the dealer.

The 270CDI is an excellent 5 cylinder engine but the 320CDI is a far better choice.

I had a year 2000 320CDI 5speed auto (standard with 320) and the new 211 320CDI is a far more responsive and slightly quicker engine.

Regards,
John

Last edited by glojo; 04-29-2004 at 03:40 PM.
Old 04-29-2004, 04:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glojo, do you push it to get better results?I know the better hp/top speed/acceleration data, but using the same foot pressure on the throttle during the common day style of guide I got better result in term of resumption by the 270cdi. (with this new car it seems that the power erogation set by gearbox is smoother...using the "manual gear language" it seems that there is more friction/clutch play).

But if I press the pedal at the end I have all the 204hp (with some delay). So my perplexions are: this deay into the top acceleration and the excessive smoothness of the engine reply into the everyday usage.

I hope I have explained my thoughts in an understandable way.
Do you think it's a software problem? Do you suggest me to contact 'Fastbuck'?

Bye bye tebalto
Old 04-29-2004, 05:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by tebalto
I hope I have explained my thoughts in an understandable way.
Do you think it's a software problem? Do you suggest me to contact 'Fastbuck'?

Bye bye tebalto
I have not had the priviledge of driving the 270, but when I asked the salesman he stated that once you have driven the 320, then the 270 would be disappointing.

The 320CDI has great acceleration all through the range, I think Fastbuck had problems with the kickdown button, but I will try doing a search and edit this message if successful.

Phew found it. The thread talks about problems with brakes but Fastbuck talks about throttle response. I think he is on page three of the link.

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...threadid=66672

There is another very helpful gentleman on this forum that owns a 320CDI 'LeslieRusforth' (hope I got the spelling right)

I would personally go back to the dealer and tell him your concerns. Hopefully a technician will find a minor problem with your car. If not, then I would ask to test drive another 320CDI.

Your use of English is definitely far superior to my Italian (Valentino Rossi is my super hero)

I will p.m. you regarding 'Fastbuck'

Regards,
John

Last edited by glojo; 04-29-2004 at 05:47 PM.
Old 04-30-2004, 03:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E320 CDI W211
HI,
Coments again on my E320 CDI.
I have had my car now for 6 months having previously owned the W210 CDI for 2 years.
I find the new W211 E 20CDI very responsive on the throtle.It goes like a rocket all accross the R.P.M. range...from stand still to 120 M.P.H it pins you to the seat (as pilot my say) you can pull G,s.
I can out pace 95% of all cars hear in the U.K.
The guys in the other cars just look gobed smacked when trying to out paste me, either on the freeway or from a standing start.

The only coments I have is that the ride quality, is no where as good as my prevoius W210. this car was so smooth I never felt a bump on the road.

My W211 with airomatic suspension is NOT GOOD as regards to a smooth ride but the plus factor is that it handles beter on the corners than the W210.

I am not happy with the airomatic suspension even when the comfort mode is switched in.

I have spoken to 3 other owners who previously owned the W210 and now own the W211 AND ALL HAVE THE SAME OPINION.

It,s a bone shaker NOT A RIDE YOU WOULD EXPECT FROM THIS QUALITY OF CAR........ESPECIALY WITH AIROMATIC.

I guess any one who has previously owned the W210 will give you the same storey.

I do hope that MB reads these forums and may be that MB can resolve the ride quality of this lovely car.

Leslie Rushforth age 59
Chesterfield
England.

PLease E-MAIL me...... leslierushforth@aol.com
Old 04-30-2004, 03:44 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by LeslieRushforth
The only coments I have is that the ride quality, is no where as good as my prevoius W210. this car was so smooth I never felt a bump on the road.
Hii Leslie,
I was just wondering what model you have, is it the Elegance or Avantgarde?

I note that you elected for the Airomatic suspension. This was something I nearly went for with our Avantgarde, but then decided to go for the no cost 'Comfort Suspension'

'She that must be obeyed' states that the ride\suspension is as good as, if not better than our previous Elegance???

I elected not to have the sports suspension which comes as standard exactly because I feared it would give a ride that would be to firm. I wonder if the airomatic suspension even when in the comfort mode is just to firm???

Like yourself I totally agree with every word you have said about the new 211. (excepting that we have different suspension options) We are extremely pleased with our vehicle, and I am getting tempted to have a new DVD head fitted to allow the COMAND to play MP3's

Nice speaking to you,
John
Old 04-30-2004, 04:09 PM

E320 CDI W211
Thanks for your quick response to my coments Glojo.
I am glad that you like your car.

My car was built July 2003.
I have the Advangarde panoramic roof + sat+phone+HK sound+airomatic.

Well Glojo my sound system does plaY DVD very good burt does not allow you to watch when going over 4 K.M.H. but you can still listen to the sound track of the DVD.

You can record both DVD (-r and +r) also cd-r format with your computer recordable drive and it works fine on my Harman Kardon system in the .

THE LATEST UPDATE is......to be able to play MP3 audio files.

Just think how many can be burnt (recorded) on a 4.7 GIG disk.

I am waiting for my NB dealer to get the software update to be able to play MP3 files.

By the way Gijo do you have SAT-NAV ?

Best regard Leslie.
Old 04-30-2004, 04:18 PM

E320 CDI W211
I don,t think that you DO NOT have to have the comand head fited to play MP3

All it needs is disk to re-program the (EPROM) firmware on the comand itself.

I phoned my MB dealer who said he will have the update disk next week.

This disk is called Mercedes (my04).

QUESTION.....Do you use P to P peer to peer for downloading music files and programs on the internet ?

Regards Leslie
Old 04-30-2004, 04:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally posted by LeslieRushforth
By the way Gijo do you have SAT-NAV ?
Hi Leslie,
Yes we have the Sat-Nav, it tells me that the nearest Mercedes-Benz Dealer is 5 miles away. How I wish it was, but unfortunately it closed down 12 months ago.

I also wanted the panoramic roof with the solar fan, but unfortunately it cannot be fitted to the estate.

Our vehicle was delivered in early February of this year, shortly before the navigational DVD was upgrqaded I tactfully asked if I could have the latest DVD, but was told I would have to pay for it. I am still working on that one though.

Oslo was saying that the latest firmware upgrade still required the DVD playing head to be replaced???

Bye for now,
John
Old 04-30-2004, 05:06 PM

E320 CDI W211
Ok John
My dealer said nothing about having to have a new head.

Q. what sort of money have they quoted for the head unit ?

Your car is a later build than mine SO.....what is your comand ?.

I think there is the audio 50 aps with the biger screen than the audio 30 aps...not sure.

Any way mine is the biger screen.

I read on this forum nothing about the head unit only the firmware upgrade.

Sure your dealer in not trying to make a fast buck

Regards Leslie