Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-30-2017, 08:19 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 72 Likes on 56 Posts
2007 Mercedes E550
Car completely dies while driving ONLY on extremely hard acceleration

Hi All;
I hoping for some pointers/suggestions from you all. My car is a 2006 cls500 w219, 66K miles.

A few weeks ago my crankshaft position sensor failed (code p0335) and I replaced it and everything was fine. I bought an "Intermotor" crankshaft position sensor from Advanced Auto. Naturally, I would have preferred OEM/Bosch, but I was in a bind. The reviews are not so good for the sensor and suggest it fails or doesn't fit snug.Here it is:
https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/...825/20970565-P

Last night I was driving home in dense traffic. There is only one place during my commute where I can have fun, with no traffic and completely gunning it up a hill. I smashed the gas pedal, thrusting my body into the driver seat for my usual fun, accelerating full throttle. The car completely died. In the middle of the highway. I put my hazard lights on, drifted to the side of the road, and restarted my car fine.

The code was p0335, and I cleared it, and it did not return. Later that evening I went for a test drive to attempt to reproduce the problem. For about an hour I raced around town, slamming the gas pedal at every opportunity. I even went in an empty parking lot and lit up my traction control.

It wasn't until I was in a similar situation early in the day where I was going up a hill upon very hard acceleration did the car die again. Let me repeat- the car only died upon very, very hard acceleration. I checked the code again and it was a p0335, which I cleared and it did not return. I drove to work today with no problem.

I'm thinking it could be one of three problems:

1. When I installed the CPS the other night I remember I did not tighten the E8 Torx screw very much, and perhaps a slight movement from this caused an opening in the circuit.

2. The sensor I purchased is not the correct spec. The reviews on the Intermotor CPS suggest these are not very good sensors and are prone to failure.

3. The sheer inertia of the very hard acceleration is momentarily creating an open circuit for the crankshaft position sensor, causing the car to die. Perhaps someone along the wiring harness something is not tight.

In order to address 1. and 2., last night I tightened the E8 Torx screw and purchased the Bosch sensor, which I will install once I get it in the mail. Here is the Bosch sensor:

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Mercedes-Be...NWXkWp&vxp=mtr

In terms of 3., I looked around for damaged wiring but did not see anything. I'd like to check out a wiring DIAGRAM for the crankcase position sensor, but I cannot find it. Does anyone have a diagram they may suggest?

Any suggestions from you all out there? I want to say thanks in advance, this forum and the community have helped me solve countless projects!!
Old 11-30-2017, 08:33 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Looks like this guy had the same problem, and it was the stupid aftermarket sensor!!
https://mbworld.org/forums/c32-amg-c...eleration.html
Old 12-01-2017, 08:24 AM

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts
1967 250SE, 2022 GLC250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300, 2018 AMG GT
By hard acceleration you mean pressing the pedal past the (afterburner as I call it) switch at the end of the travel? I am asking because I had similar behavior only that the car would not die but go into some sort of limp mode.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:20 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Afterburner

Originally Posted by gafitanu
By hard acceleration you mean pressing the pedal past the (afterburner as I call it) switch at the end of the travel? I am asking because I had similar behavior only that the car would not die but go into some sort of limp mode.
Afterburner! Love it!
Actually, I think you are referring to "Kickdown" mode.
There is a switch on the pedal if you depress full, the transmission will downshift to pick up speed.

If you are going into a Limpdown mode, I believe that is a transmission issue, but I'm not sure.
The first thing I would personally do if that happened to me would be to check the codes using an MB Icarsoft II diagnostic.
I'd also change the fluid and filter.

Feel free to PM if you have questions.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:30 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2008 E350
I'd put my money on the cheap china CPS. Try replacing it with a OEM one.
Old 12-01-2017, 09:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
Originally Posted by My_E350
I'd put my money on the cheap china CPS. Try replacing it with a OEM one.
AGREED.
I bought a Bosch CPS and will install ASAP.
Will let everyone know how it goes so others may avoid the same mistake.
Old 01-26-2018, 11:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 Mercedes E550
I just wanted to close this thread. I installed a Bosch sensor in place of the cheap Chinese sensor from Advance Auto and now my car is perfect. With these cars get Bosch or Mercedes!
The following 2 users liked this post by LexBrett2:
cbpldc (01-26-2018), soholingo (01-30-2018)
Old 01-26-2018, 05:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
W211 E550
Thank you for posting the solution!

Chris