E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Need Advice- Have had the dreaded droning/humming noise after bad radiator...

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-19-2018, 01:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
porsche
Need Advice- Have had the dreaded droning/humming noise after bad radiator...

hey all I need some advice

so about 18 months ago I started hearing the dreaded droning/humming noises when at 1500-2500 RPM and found that I still had the faulty radiator from the 2003 E55 that was known to leak glycol into the transmission. I had the radiator replaced and had a thorough transmission flush from the mechanic. That was 18 months ago and when I first got it back there was a slight humming/droning noise but it eventually got worse.

Now over the last 6 months its been the same humming/droning noises but it hasnt gotten progressively worse and its been still driving with no breakdown over the past 18 months. My understanding is that if the glycol did the damage then my transmission would be long gone by now isnt it?

Is it possible that just the torque converter needs replacing and I will be fine? Or given that the droning was lessor at the beginning right after the flushing it means that the transmission needs to be flushed again? I just dont want to be throwing money away on things that wont fix the true issue.

If I keep driving it will the torque converter ultimately fail or just always run with that droning sound?

Any help or plans of action for this is appreciated
Old 02-20-2018, 10:22 PM

porsche
anyone been through this situation or have any thoughts on est way to proceed?
Old 02-21-2018, 10:39 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
Have ATF analyzed https://www.blackstone-labs.com/
Old 02-21-2018, 04:20 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
+1. rule out glycol in transmission system first. then re-assess
Old 02-21-2018, 11:02 PM

porsche
so you are saying I should test again to see if glycol is still in the transmission? It was determined it was there 18 months ago and it was flushed out but the humming/droning sound is still present so i should have it tested again? Or should I just go about replacing the torque converter first since thats my understanding of where the humming and droning is coming from?

if glycol was somehow still in transmission wouldnt it have killed my transmission many months ago?

thanks
Old 02-22-2018, 12:42 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,415 Likes on 3,145 Posts
'71 Pinto
By “thorough flush” can you confirm torque converter was flushed as recommended in 50g bulletin as suggested test ATF again if fine then proceed with testing torque converter per attached bulletin.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
27.20_78a.pdf (92.8 KB, 57 views)
Old 02-22-2018, 02:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 44 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 E550 2000 Honda civic mash n' go
Originally Posted by benznewcomer
so you are saying I should test again to see if glycol is still in the transmission? It was determined it was there 18 months ago and it was flushed out but the humming/droning sound is still present so i should have it tested again? Or should I just go about replacing the torque converter first since thats my understanding of where the humming and droning is coming from?

if glycol was somehow still in transmission wouldnt it have killed my transmission many months ago?

thanks
Not necessarily. Deposites could still be present. I would take an extreme thorough flush to get all of it out. And like the above said, was the TC drained too?
Old 02-22-2018, 09:28 PM

porsche
hmmm i was never mentioned anything about torque converter flush, should i be trying that first or better to just replace the whole torque converter? seems like the flushing with so many L of oil it might be just as expensive?