E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Turn signal won't cancel

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-05-2018, 11:51 AM

Received 173 Likes on 104 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
W211 Turn signal won't cancel

Our E500 turn signal started acting up lately. It won't auto cancel. Interestingly and related, there is an annoying "click-click" noise coming from the steering column whenever it is turned without the turn signal engaged. Usually that click noise is associated with canceling the turn signal when deployed and the wheel is turned back to its straight position.

Maybe related... the ESP malfunction showed up a few times recently, but self corrected. I ordered up a new brake switch just to make sure it's not that malfunctioning.

Looks like I'll be pulling the steering wheel to see what is causing the turn signal issue. When I do so, do you think I'll see anything like a misaligned plastic tab that can be fixed or should I just order up a new turn signal switch / stalk. Since I'll have it apart might as well have replacement parts on hand. I noticed for the price of a new switch / stalk I can get a used entire steering column assembly that has the turn signal switch stalk as well as the clock spring and other stalk assemblies in there. I did not see a used steering column assembly that had all (4) four stalks. The forth stalk being the Command voice activation stalk. Can I add this to a steering column assembly that doesn't come with it? Do I need to get these parts to match our 2004 year or is a range of years compatible? Thanks.
Old 08-05-2018, 07:58 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1,019 Likes on 947 Posts
1999 E300TD
Faulty switch,Kongstig will post the repair docs!
Old 08-06-2018, 10:04 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
I've just been through this recently due to a faulty steering sensor. In the process of changing it I broke the blinker cancelling tab. Most likely your cancelling mechanism broke and it makes that noise, it's plastic and fragile. I ended up with 2 used switch assemblies because the eBay seller sent me the wrong one.
The cancelling mechanism is contained in item 10 of the attached picture. The clock spring 45 has a tab (that I broke) that is doing the actual cancelling. I suspect that you have mechanism in item 10 broken.
Anyway items 10, 20, 35, 40 and 50 are together and I have 2 sets of those to send you. One of them is definitely a match for '04 the other one may still work, the clock spring was wrong for me. If your tab in item 45 is intact then what I have can help you for shipping cost only. If the tab is broken too then you will need a clock spring too.
Two torx screws releases the horn/airbag, one very tight flat head Allen M10 or 12 and take the steering wheel. When you loosen or tighten this screw hold tight the wheel, do not loosen against the steering lock, it will break (ask me how I know). Another torx screw from under the steering column will release the entire assembly. You can add the voice control stalk at any time but you may need to add a voice controller in the trunk and to code the audio system. I installed this voice control thing 10 years ago and I used it 3 times. It's nowhere near Siri or any of today's voice recognition apps. Remember MB implemented these technologies late nineties.
Let me know,

Radu

Last edited by gafitanu; 09-16-2018 at 03:22 PM.
Old 08-08-2018, 06:49 PM

Thanks for the detailed replies and the parts offer. I'll PM you about the parts. I should get the new brake peddle switch this week and that should tell me if the clock spring is not at fault for the ESP malfunction possibly. Maybe later tonight or tomorrow I'll run a diagnostic to see if the codes point to a specific item there or if the clock spring is messed up/ broken causing the turn signal issue also.

Yeah, funny how I hear the click(s) every time I turn the wheel without the turn signal engaged and don't hear it when it is engaged. It's like I'm in opposite world. The car has the voice command option although I rarely use it. I noticed that it's stalk mounts to the same (or similar module) as the cruise control. I guess when the car had a factory cell phone the voice command was more useful.
Old 08-12-2018, 02:50 PM

Installed the brake light switch and checked the error codes for the ESP issue. the diagnostic tool pulled a error "C11B3 Initialization of the steering angle sensor has failed several times. Check component N49 (steering angle sensor)" I don't see component N49 on the PDF listed above. I'm assuming it will be right being the steering wheel or is it further down inside the column? "lock angle" sensor maybe it's called.

Haven't pulled the steering wheel to see what going on with the turn signal not canceling yet, but I have been looking at some parts and have noticed there appear to be two different types of clock springs in the W211colomn I see available. One is all black plastic and the other appears to be translucent plastic with white glue around it. I couldn't peek around the edge of the steering wheel to see what is in mine so I'll be pulling the wheel as mentioned before to check soon. maybe I'm just seeing the electronics conductor assembly there haha.

I was able to "read" the heated steering wheel controller and it was functional according to the diagnostic tool. Hmmm the the data stream obviously would not read the on/ off switch as it is not present on my steering column adjustment stalk. I guess I'll be able to see if the wheel is heated when I remove the air bag? Like maybe there are extra wires for the heater elements in the wheel if equipped?

Anyway, here are the two different types of w211 steering column assemblies I'm seeing available...

Old 08-13-2018, 08:50 AM

Received 40 Likes on 35 Posts
1967 250SE, 2020 GLB250, 2006 SL500, 2023 EQB300
Yes, sometimes after 2004 they changed the clock spring assembly to the transparent plastic (first picture). My 2004 has the solid black plastic, possibly yours too. This assembly is built like Lego, on top is the clock spring that contains the optical slots for the steering sensor and the blinker cancelling tab. You remove it and next below is the steering sensor. I didn't go further than that but they all come together in a multi-pin connector at the back of the column. You will have to take it apart to asses correctly.
The pdf that I attached is from the EPC and it does not have the schematic designations from WIS. N49 is most likely the steering sensor under the clock spring. The heated steering wheel has a lever like the one in the pic. If you don't have it then you do not have a heated steering nor the controller for it. Sometimes DAS may see phantoms that are not there.
Old 09-16-2018, 09:00 PM

Gafitanu was correct! The Black Plastic tab broke off the clock spring assembly. This is what activates the turn signal automatic cancel feature. The broken off piece was just rolling around in there. The lack of said tab anchored also made the whole assembly wobble on the steering shaft and may be what's causing the ESP malfunction that is coming up from time to time. We shall see.

No need to clock the steering wheel before I did this steering wheel removal. Just make sure the power adjustable steering column is all the way out (extended) and the wheels are straight ahead before you disconnect the battery. I did however need to buy a #30 Torx 5" long "L" wrench and a 10mm HEX 1/2" drive socket to get the job done. I recommend getting the #30 Torx "L" wrench as a regular 1/4" drive socket will stick in the small access hole in the back of the steering air bag release screw location. The wrench came in a Torx set. Even that needed an "extender" on the bent 90 degree end to get enough torque to loosen them. I needed a 24" breaker bar and a second person to get the 10mm HEX screw loose. Those screws were probably extra tight due to Loctite on them from the factory.

I contemplated a used clock spring part, but the chance of the used one being accidentally over-clocked and damaged was too risky. So I ordered a new clock spring assembly, MB part # A 0004540518 from our friends at FCP Euro. They had the best price and their warranty is well, the best (as long as they're in business.)
Old 10-06-2018, 09:06 AM

Finally got around to replacing the the part and it works like a charm. This is what was causing the turn signals to not cancel and also set erroneous ESP error messages. Again mine was the earlier all black plastic unit. The replacement part came with different looking electrical airbag connectors but they fit. It came with a red plastic "pull-pin" that keeps it's parts stationary until you are ready to install it. Just make sure everything is straight ahead... pull the pin, don't allow it to spin & drop it in.

After the column, steering wheel and airbag are all back together, start the engine and turn the steering wheel full left and full right a few times to reset the ESP to avoid any error messages. You can do it!