Go Back  MBWorld.org Forums > Mercedes-Benz Sedans > E-Class (W211)
Anyone enable cornering fog lights? >

Anyone enable cornering fog lights?

Notices
E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anyone enable cornering fog lights?

Old 02-11-2019, 03:54 PM

18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' CLK320, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
Arrow Anyone enable cornering fog lights?

Poking around in STAR and saw that there is an option to enable cornering fog lights. Read some other Mercedes had this feature and I can't tell if I want to enable it or not. Seems like a nice feature. Most people that made complaints about it said they got tired of people telling them one of their fog lights were out...lol

Just wondering if anyone here has enabled it and or if you have a video of it? I know it comes on if you are going less than 25mph and depending on how you turn the steering wheel one will come on/go off..etc. Seems neat.
Obviously if you changed normal bulbs to HIDS/LEDs you are going to get flickering rather than fading on/off. But just wanted to see.

We we had a Lexus ES loaner for a day, it had specific cornering lights and it was a really nice feature. I know these will not be like that since they are the fogs but...might be cool?

-Nigel
Old 02-11-2019, 06:54 PM

W211 E350
It is neat. My car has it -- in addition to turning on/off the lamps turn in the direction you're turning.
But I don't think it's just a matter of enabling a feature, I expect they're different lights somehow.
Old 02-11-2019, 07:45 PM

18' NX, 09' E350, 07' Solara, 05' CLK320, 05' STi, 01' Ranger
From all the research I have done they are the same foglights. Your active curve is definitely different than just my standard by-xenon headlights but the fogs are the same. I don't believe MB had active separated turning lights like other models/makes. The feature needs to be turned on or off via STAR, but it is as simple as enabling it. I'm going to turn it on when I get back home and see how I like it. Might be cool I guess. I was hoping people would have videos of it somewhere but youtube and here don't turn anything up.

-Nigel
Old 02-12-2019, 07:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
I have the bixenons and yeah, active cornering illumination is on. It's a nice touch, it comes on slowly and fades slowly so it's not an abrupt on/off situation. No one has actually told me mine was out, probably people don't even notice it. Handy sometimes on dark streets as it does light up the corner a little bit. No negative effects so far. The bulbs haven't even burned out, although I've only had the car 4 years, who knows if they ever got replaced before.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:34 PM

W211 E350
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
From all the research I have done they are the same foglights. Your active curve is definitely different than just my standard by-xenon headlights but the fogs are the same.
ah!

Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
The bulbs haven't even burned out, although I've only had the car 4 years, who knows if they ever got replaced before.
Ive had my car since new (2007), with 105,000 miles. I havenít had any front-facing bulbs replaced ever. Not headlights, nor fog/cornering.

The marker lights do go periodically...
Old 02-13-2019, 12:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2001 E320 wagon
I hate that and had it turned off ASAP on my E63. It looks stupid as **** having only one light light up.
Old 02-13-2019, 05:53 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2008 E350 4Matic, 2011 E350 4matic
Originally Posted by Strigoi View Post
I hate that and had it turned off ASAP on my E63. It looks stupid as **** having only one light light up.
Well it's not like it's on all the time. I just leave it alone, it comes on an off as needed. If it were on all the time, then yeah, it'd look stupid. Lots of cars do weird things now, usually if you signal, lots of cars have their light off for the side you're signaling on.
Old 02-13-2019, 06:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2007 E63, 2001 E320 wagon
Originally Posted by cetialpha5 View Post
Well it's not like it's on all the time. I just leave it alone, it comes on an off as needed. If it were on all the time, then yeah, it'd look stupid. Lots of cars do weird things now, usually if you signal, lots of cars have their light off for the side you're signaling on.
You know what? It looks stupid as hell on them too.

I get that on newer cars certain lights have to be brighter than others, which is why they do it like that. Just because it's a mandatory thing doesn't mean it isn't stupid.
Old 03-14-2019, 03:49 PM

w211 e220 cdi 2004
Originally Posted by NewShockerGuy View Post
From all the research I have done they are the same foglights. Your active curve is definitely different than just my standard by-xenon headlights but the fogs are the same. I don't believe MB had active separated turning lights like other models/makes. The feature needs to be turned on or off via STAR, but it is as simple as enabling it. I'm going to turn it on when I get back home and see how I like it. Might be cool I guess. I was hoping people would have videos of it somewhere but youtube and here don't turn anything up.

-Nigel

Did you manage to enable this feature and did it actually work?
If yes, would highly appreciate where this option can be found in STAR in order to enable it on my w211 with standard bi-xenon.

Thank you
Old 03-16-2019, 09:39 AM

2004 E500 4-Matic
We run our fog lights 100% of the time; day and night. It's legal in PA.
Old 03-16-2019, 10:17 AM

2019 Dune Silver Metallic E-450 Mercedes Cabriolet
Originally Posted by Strigoi View Post
I guess you have problems with your turn signals as well; looks stupid to have just one light up.

To each his own. I find the cornering light really handy on dark intersections on turning and strange driveways. Because of the cornering lights, I avoided possibly hitting a giant rock a friend of mine had on the edge of his driveway at night during a rain.