E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

So that'sd how it's supposed to drive... '04 E500 wagon

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 03-14-2019, 03:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E500 4matic wagon
So that'sd how it's supposed to drive... '04 E500 wagon

Bought my car last December, really straight body, relatively low miles for a near 15 year old car, just a nice clean looking car that was a set of wheels from being perfect IMO. However, my daily driver for the last 2 years after VW bought back my TDI Golf was a 1976 Ford F350 with about 180k-200k on the clock, and needing some new bushings etc., and before that I drove a '00 Mustang GT for about 100k... I am a man of varying tastes, though I lean towards stuff that is underappreciated.

I thought my car drove nice to be honest, but I recently did a overhaul of the front end, save the lower control arms because the rubber looks great still (would not have done the uppers had the ball joins been made replaceable...)

My goodness this thing is smooth now. Even riding on 245/35r19 tires. I didn't realize how much of that wear was being transmitted back to my hands and rear end until I finally took the car to work today after finally finishing the work. Well worth the time and relative pittance of cost, especially when done DIY.

I am honestly surprised by how easy these cars are to work on thus far. I am a pretty experienced DIY guy (necessity to daily drive a '70s Ford truck that while clean-ish had not been kept up all that well by the widow of the long term owner over the past decade).

Anyway, I just want to say I have been trolling through the forum, and found it very helpful. Next on deck is replacing my xenon bulbs and polishing the head lamps because it is pretty sad when a pair of crappy sealed beams on a 1970's truck offer better night vision than an HID headlamp...

After that I am going to get a new front bumper cover I think. I hate the stupid holes from the dorky front plate mount that this car previously wore in CA...also there is a bit of sun damage to the clear coat on one corner of the bumper that was pretty shabbily painted that is the only really less than stellar looking point of the car. Though maybe I will see if a body shop would be just a successful repairing the original bodywork.

Old 03-14-2019, 10:44 AM

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
w211e200komestate
Estate looks very nice
The following users liked this post:
honyock (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 04:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 256 Likes on 233 Posts
2001 E320 Wagon, 2006 LBZ Silverado, 2007 E63 (sold), 2001 E55 (sold)
If you're looking to do an E63 bumper conversion Gary@Suvneer (member here) can set you up.

https://mbworld.org/forums/w211-amg/...k-only-18.html

He's pretty much the go-to on this site for those bumpers. I bought my front lip from him and have no complaints.
The following 2 users liked this post by Strigoi:
honyock (03-16-2019), Suvneer (03-14-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 05:14 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

My E63 bumper and front lip on a wagon. Please email me for more information. gary@suvneer.com
honyock (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 257 Likes on 228 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2008 ML550 4Matic; 2004 C320
Originally Posted by honyock
Bought my car last December, really straight body, relatively low miles for a near 15 year old car, just a nice clean looking car that was a set of wheels from being perfect IMO. However, my daily driver for the last 2 years after VW bought back my TDI Golf was a 1976 Ford F350 with about 180k-200k on the clock, and needing some new bushings etc., and before that I drove a '00 Mustang GT for about 100k... I am a man of varying tastes, though I lean towards stuff that is underappreciated.

I thought my car drove nice to be honest, but I recently did a overhaul of the front end, save the lower control arms because the rubber looks great still (would not have done the uppers had the ball joins been made replaceable...)

My goodness this thing is smooth now. Even riding on 245/35r19 tires. I didn't realize how much of that wear was being transmitted back to my hands and rear end until I finally took the car to work today after finally finishing the work. Well worth the time and relative pittance of cost, especially when done DIY.

I am honestly surprised by how easy these cars are to work on thus far. I am a pretty experienced DIY guy (necessity to daily drive a '70s Ford truck that while clean-ish had not been kept up all that well by the widow of the long term owner over the past decade).

Anyway, I just want to say I have been trolling through the forum, and found it very helpful. Next on deck is replacing my xenon bulbs and polishing the head lamps because it is pretty sad when a pair of crappy sealed beams on a 1970's truck offer better night vision than an HID headlamp...

After that I am going to get a new front bumper cover I think. I hate the stupid holes from the dorky front plate mount that this car previously wore in CA...also there is a bit of sun damage to the clear coat on one corner of the bumper that was pretty shabbily painted that is the only really less than stellar looking point of the car. Though maybe I will see if a body shop would be just a successful repairing the original bodywork.
Great looking car!

Assuming the house across the street is NOT yours, you may want to let you neighbor know that Christmas is over and the lights on the house may be removed!
honyock (03-16-2019)
Old 03-14-2019, 09:21 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 411 Likes on 342 Posts
C320
Originally Posted by honyock
Next on deck is replacing my xenon bulbs and polishing the head lamps because it is pretty sad when a pair of crappy sealed beams on a 1970's truck offer better night vision than an HID headlamp...

Don't waste your time polishing the old lenses. Just install new ones when you do the bumper. You'll get far better results with less effort.
Old 03-16-2019, 06:07 AM

E500 4matic wagon
lol, definitely not my house. At least they look less trashy than the crashed Impala they had sitting there for half a year...our HOA is a joke. half the houses in the neighborhood have yards covered in weeds.

Trending Topics

Old 03-16-2019, 06:13 AM

E500 4matic wagon
Cool, only $33.49 from Amazon!
Amazon Amazon
That's way less than my time is worth...
Old 03-16-2019, 06:19 AM

E500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by Gary@Suvneer

My E63 bumper and front lip on a wagon. Please email me for more information. gary@suvneer.com
I can't decide if I like the facelift look or not. There is something about the simpler looking pre-facelift I tend to prefer. Maybe it is the lack of the pointed center that seems out of place on the smooth flow of the estate.
Old 03-16-2019, 09:24 AM

Received 176 Likes on 107 Posts
W223 S500 LWB 4-Matic, W222 S450 LWB 4-Matic, W211 E500 4-Matic Wagon
Nice work! How are the rear shocks? Any fluid seepage visible on them yet?

Now if we only had a facelift for the rear lights. My son and I were following my wife home the other night when she was driving the Benz E-500 wagon. My son mentioned that it looked like a TURTLE from the back due to the rear lights mounted so low on the body. I had to agree.

The newer W212 & W213 models have the lights mounted up higher on the rear body. I guess the rear upper clear light lenses on these could be double populated with red led bulbs and triggered with the running/ parking light circuit.

Old 03-16-2019, 03:40 PM

E500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by Sleeper Benz
Nice work! How are the rear shocks? Any fluid seepage visible on them yet?

Now if we only had a facelift for the rear lights. My son and I were following my wife home the other night when she was driving the Benz E-500 wagon. My son mentioned that it looked like a TURTLE from the back due to the rear lights mounted so low on the body. I had to agree.

The newer W212 & W213 models have the lights mounted up higher on the rear body. I guess the rear upper clear light lenses on these could be double populated with red led bulbs and triggered with the running/ parking light circuit.

they looked clean when I was changing the wheels, but the dust boots are shredded.

i actually bought a brand new pair of Bilstein replacements since at 140k, I assume they might go at any time. I got the special tool for the top just thinking about when I want to gut the rear interior to get at them.

it would be nice if you could extend the tail lights into the rear door. Stupid law ruins the design. Similar to a Ferarri California...
Old 03-16-2019, 11:04 PM

2005 E500 Wagon
Did you buy your front end bits as a kit or al la cart?

Where did you source them?

thanks

eric
Old 03-17-2019, 12:55 AM

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts
2005 E500 4matic wagon, 2006 AMG E55, 2009 Smart Fortwo
What he said ^. I've been meaning to ask the same question.
Old 03-17-2019, 10:52 AM

E500 4matic wagon
Originally Posted by 62sunbeam
Did you buy your front end bits as a kit or al la cart?

Where did you source them?

thanks

eric
I bought bits n pieces.

1st I bought just the Arnott struts, then I felt the upper ball joint and knew that had to go. Saw inner CV boot had a wee little tear so decided might as well replace the lower ball joint and tie rod end. The end link bushing on the sway bar side was also pretty shredded looking, so that had to go to. Then I just did everything to match on the other side.

Car looks like it got new brakes pretty recently, and the wheel bearings felt good.

Most from Rockauto (the struts, ball joints, tie rod ends, end lonks), a few from Amazon (upper control arms), and I think Pelican parts (CVs, though I'm sure these could have been had a bit cheaper elsewhere).