E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CDI - Winter Problems??

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-24-2004, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'05 E320 CDI, '07 VW Touareg V10 TDI, 2007 Porsche GT3
CDI - Winter Problems??

Hi all. The CDI has just come to the USA, so has no track record here as yet. I have an E320 CDI on order, and am a little concerned about its behavior in the winter months.

I live in Michigan, where temperatures of -5C are common and -20C is not unknown. Am I in for trouble with fuel gelling and freezing of fuel lines due to water in the fuel? Are there work-arounds? Do you use fuel additives in cold weather?

I'll greatly appreciate your experience with CDIs in wintry weather. Many thanks.

-Karl

E320 CDI scheduled for ED on 9/29/04 (I hope!)
Old 06-24-2004, 08:48 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Re: CDI - Winter Problems??

[QUOTE]Originally posted by khaug
[B]Hi all. The CDI has just come to the USA, so has no track record here as yet. I have an E320 CDI on order, and am a little concerned about its behavior in the winter months.

I live in Michigan, where temperatures of -5C are common and -20C is not unknown. Am I in for trouble with fuel gelling and freezing of fuel lines due to water in the fuel? Are there work-arounds? Do you use fuel additives in cold weather?

I'll greatly appreciate your experience with CDIs in wintry weather. Many thanks.

I have a new cdi too, but I also had an older diesel, and I've never had any problems in cold weather evern though I don't get too many cold days below 0 F, that car had a block heater, I don't even know if my new cdi has one. The fuel sold is usually winterized and you can always add a little kerosene, even tho MB says not to.
Old 06-24-2004, 09:48 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Mercedes diesels heat the fuel going to the engine when the heater is on.

Northern states generally sell a blend of #1 and #2 diesel fuel in the winter.

The CDI should have a block heater or one should be offered.

With blended diesel and a block heater, we drove our 1984 190D in -40F Minnesota temps. The fuel didn't gel.

There is one advantage with a diesel that's not possible with a gasoline engine. You can let them run all night w/o harming them.

You shouldn't have any problems but I'd ask your dealer if the car has a block heater or if you can have one installed.
Old 06-25-2004, 08:09 AM

2000 528BMW 5sp
if concerned buy anti-gel

a diesel nut I know. suggests you add anti-gel product to tank when its 0 or lower. cheap insurance,