E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Well crap, The Panorama roof just broke!!!!

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-06-2004, 08:50 PM

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
**SOLD***2003 E500
Angry Well crap, The Panorama roof just broke!!!!

Driving with the wife this evening looking for houses, and had the roof wide open (Really cool evening here after the rain). Went to close the roof, and heard snap, crackle and I stopped the movement. Pulled the car over and found an arm on the driver's side of the roof bent backwards with a spring on it. Found a large piece of plastic on the ground, and round plastic piece as well. Bent the arm back to the correct position and slowly closed the roof while holding it in place. At least got the roof closed. The arm looks like it holds the angle of the front solar panel. Anyways off to the dealer in the morning, and I hope the parts do not have to be special ordered from Germany. Geesh!!!!
Old 07-06-2004, 08:55 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Sorry for the mishap. Add it to the list at JD Power :p
Old 07-06-2004, 10:38 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
A bucket on wheels
i've had my whole pan roof replaced on my c coupe. Hope everything works out fine. Oh and i had it replaced because of the creeking sound.
Old 07-06-2004, 10:57 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'03 Yukon XL Denali, '06 Eclipse GS
That's horrible, man! Head to your dealer ASAP and hope all goes well.
Old 07-07-2004, 08:45 AM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Just got off the phone with the dealer.

First thing out of his mouth, "Is it the rod with the spring that looks like it holds up the wind deflector?" That was almost scary yet comforting. Yes is the answer. "Yeah, that's the only thing goes wrong on those roofs, when can you drop it by? We have the parts in stock, and it will take a couple of hours but that's all." So I'll drop it Saturday and should have it ready by end of day on Monday. My schedule will not allow any sooner. I'll keep the post updated if there are any changes.
Old 07-07-2004, 01:07 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
[QUOTE=Randy B]Yeah, that's the only thing goes wrong on those roofs/QUOTE]

Never mind the ONLY thing, why is it STILL going wrong?
Old 07-07-2004, 01:09 PM

1999 Mercedes ML430
Well at least it's an easy fix. Good luck.
Old 07-07-2004, 06:56 PM

**SOLD***2003 E500
Never mind the ONLY thing, why is it STILL going wrong?
Konigster, not quite sure what your referring to. Considering I have about 35000 miles on a 2003 E500, I'm not complaining anymore. Emphasis on anymore. While certain things have been a pain in the *** (Keyless Go, Radio, and alignment), now that all is working I'm happy, and the car does love to drive on the highway! Main thing is dealer support after the product has been delivered. While I was not thrilled with the service received at first at Mercedes Orlando, I now have one service advisor, one mechanic, and the Ervice Manager's cell number to quell my issues. However since the alignment issue was fixed and handled above what I expected after the Service Manager got involved, things have been smooth sailing. Mind you Orlando's second MB dealer also just opened up, and is a lot closer to me, but if they keep up the good service I'll drive a little extra for the familiar faces, and attitude. I really wish the Dealer thread you had started would become a permanent fixture on the forum as a sub category. Really pays to have names and locations to deal with people. Especially if it is recomended from a fellow forum member.

Randy
Old 07-07-2004, 07:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Originally Posted by Randy B
Konigster, not quite sure what your referring to.
"First thing out of his mouth, "Is it the rod with the spring that looks like it holds up the wind deflector?" That was almost scary yet comforting. Yes is the answer. "Yeah, that's the only thing goes wrong on those roofs, when can you drop it by? We have the parts in stock, and it will take a couple of hours but that's all."

Meant to imply: MBUSA - apparently this is a well known problem. MBUSA you know it's a problem, where's the fix (ie: bulletin)?
Old 07-07-2004, 08:17 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 192 Likes on 138 Posts
Originally Posted by konigstiger
"First thing out of his mouth, "Is it the rod with the spring that looks like it holds up the wind deflector?" That was almost scary yet comforting. Yes is the answer. "Yeah, that's the only thing goes wrong on those roofs, when can you drop it by? We have the parts in stock, and it will take a couple of hours but that's all."

Meant to imply: MBUSA - apparently this is a well known problem. MBUSA you know it's a problem, where's the fix (ie: bulletin)?
This has been MB biggest problem...thay let well known issues continue through production to save $$$ and let the customers suffer and take the car in for service. And some wonder why their JD Power ratings suck.
Old 01-10-2008, 04:52 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2013 SLK
Yup, i got this exact thing today. Darn rod... Since my '03 is out of MB wattanty, anyone know how much this will cost?

John

-UPDATE- I just called the MB parts, part is $88 and its a snap to replace, 1 torx screw and 1 "c" clip

JM

Last edited by jmorgis; 01-10-2008 at 05:16 PM.