E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

changing oil e 320

Old 07-08-2004, 09:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
changing oil e 320

does anyone have step by step instructions how to change the oil. i would like to take the oil out thru the dip stick hole. thank you
Old 07-08-2004, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
i think it would be best to get it done at the dealer since it is for free. also, MB uses 8 quarts i believe, not 5. they also use synthetic, so you need to change it around 10,000 miles, not 3. best of all, the service is for free, i know i didnt really answer your question, but GL
Old 07-09-2004, 11:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by m6116
does anyone have step by step instructions how to change the oil. i would like to take the oil out thru the dip stick hole. thank you
This is for the E430 but the E320 is very similar.

http://www.mercedesshop.com/diy_oil_change2.htm

I encourage anyone to do their own maintenance if they are physically able to do it.

If you use Mobil 1, use only 0W-40 or 15W-50. Do not use any of the 30 weight versions of Mobil 1. They're claimed to be synthetics but they are petroleum based and not approved by Mercedes Benz. Don't use Fram filters, use OEM compatible filters from dealers or any one of several Internet-based sources.

Even if Mercedes will do oil changes for free, they won't do them often enough. You need to change oil halfway between what the FSS system typically tells you to do.

I know people will say that going two years or 20K between oil changes is OK but they probably lease or trade often so they don't care about long term reliability.

On the 2005 models, Mercedes have gone back to realistic oil change frequencies (5K).

You may need to buy a few tools but the satisfaction and cost savings you'll have is worth spending a few dollars on tools.

Good luck!
Old 07-09-2004, 06:08 PM

E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
Originally Posted by BudC
On the 2005 models, Mercedes have gone back to realistic oil change frequencies (5K).
I believe this is because of the crappy fuel you get in the USA! My manual says... change oil around 7500km when filling up high sulfur fuel (in my case diesel).
Old 07-10-2004, 02:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
i535
Why

This is for the E430 but the E320 is very similar.

Good luck!
A reason of shorter interval can be different. I heard that MB dropped free maintenance, so more frequent visits of a dealer will bring more money to it. I doubt that majority of people have time, skills, and intention to do oil change.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:03 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by Dema
A reason of shorter interval can be different. I heard that MB dropped free maintenance, so more frequent visits of a dealer will bring more money to it. I doubt that majority of people have time, skills, and intention to do oil change.
1) It takes less time to do your own oil change than it takes to get your bill from the dealer.
2) Anyone with average intelligence can change oil.
3) With an oil extractor like the Topsider, anyone who can stand up should be physically capable of changing their own oil.
4) Mercedes went back to more frequent changes because long term reliability suffered and a good many buyers kept their cars more than three years.

For 100 years, Mercedes recommended oil change intervals designed to enhance the reliability of their products. All Mercedes did when they recommended extended change intervals was add a bit of oil capacity to some of their engines and offer oil filters that would take the abuse of being in an engine for more than 6 months. There is nothing about the current engines that make them more reliable than most of the engines of the past. In fact, they run head temps much higher than older engines.

Most of the other major car manufacturer's continue to recommend change intervals similar to the past.
Old 07-10-2004, 09:09 AM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Cool

is that so? on my 2005 e 320 cdi, the oil changes are scheduled for 13k miles
Old 07-10-2004, 09:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by kort677

is that so? on my 2005 e 320 cdi, the oil changes are scheduled for 13k miles
Wasn't the first change scheduled for 1K and the next one (free) at 5K? Is that 13K for Severe operation or Normal operation. Generally, anything but freeway driving is considered Severe by Mercedes and anybody else.

Anyone who has owned a diesel knows that oil changes are crucial with a diesel. I'm surprised that Mercedes would recommend 13K intervals.

At least it's better than two years and 20+K with the FSS system.
Old 07-10-2004, 11:10 AM

E-220CDI, VW Multivan 2.5TDI
4) Mercedes went back to more frequent changes because long term reliability suffered and a good many buyers kept their cars more than three years.
At least their marketing machine works. They pretend to take care of their customers and their very expensive toys.

Why (please correct me if I am wrong) is there still the standard oil change intervall in Europe (FSS) - or at least in Germany? Well, go there and tell people to change the oil every 5k miles.

PEOPLE WILL KILL YOU!

Not just because oil and labor is much more expensive in Germany (just look at the stupid gas prices) but also because people somehow grow up with a certain feeling for nature - called responsibility.

I had to change the oil on my VW Eurovan a few years ago. They introduced so called long life oil - change only every 30000km. I paid over $20 (in words... twenty) for a litre - until I found out that I can go with every synthetic 0-40 when changing that every 15000km.

In Germany cars have been running with longer oil change intervalls (usually 15000-30000km) for decades, without having engine troubles.

Now tell me why Mercedes should go back to the so called "realistic" intervalls in the USA... because people here are used to these intervalls. They grew up with them and where confused when they first got told not to change oil that often. So Mercedes took the right action - they now tell people that they go back to shorter intervalls. That makes people feel good and Mercedes get some $$$$ - and THAT'S it all about!!

Just take a look at the stupid talks that came up after they introduced the 320CDI. People complaining about performance (for driving max. 75 at Interstate ), about noise (but it sounds the same when inside), the pollution (I drive 36 miles on a gallon and have a particular filter - now compare that to an E500).
Old 07-10-2004, 12:53 PM

'05 e320 cdi, '05 lexus rx330
Cool

[QUOTE=BudC]Wasn't the first change scheduled for 1K and the next one (free) at 5K? Is that 13K for Severe operation or Normal operation. Generally, anything but freeway driving is considered Severe by Mercedes and anybody else.[QUOTE]

no, nothing but a cursory check at 1k miles, only a free tire rotation at 6500 miles and the first "real service" is at 13k

[QUOTE=BudC]Anyone who has owned a diesel knows that oil changes are crucial with a diesel. I'm surprised that Mercedes would recommend 13K intervals.[QUOTE]

I used to change the oil at 5k or so in my older mb diesel, I might do the same with this one too
Old 08-04-2004, 03:58 PM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
I have the an '04 with the free scheduled maintenance. However, I want to get my oil changed before 10,000. I presume I'll pay for the early oil change, but I want to make sure the other 10,000mi checks will be done at same point had I not completed the early oil change.

Anyone know how this would work?