JERKING!!!!! very annoying.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-19-2006, 05:28 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
E240 03
Jerking comes back

I took my car to the dealer. they did the gear adaptation, the car was perfect for the first week, then jerking came back.

Jerking was unbearble. Then, I reset the key by pressing the open button until all windows are down then press the close button until all windows are up. After that the car performance is very different and jerking was unoticable.

I need to reset the key every two days.

But I don't consider this as a solution for a mercedes problem.
Old 06-19-2006, 08:07 PM

w211 E320
Originally Posted by byttcool99
I took my car to the dealer. they did the gear adaptation, the car was perfect for the first week, then jerking came back.

Jerking was unbearble. Then, I reset the key by pressing the open button until all windows are down then press the close button until all windows are up. After that the car performance is very different and jerking was unoticable.

I need to reset the key every two days.

But I don't consider this as a solution for a mercedes problem.

Didn't know reseting the keys would make the difference, but then again as you said its not a permanent solution.
Old 06-19-2006, 10:40 PM
Almost a Member!

Have an 03 E500 with the same problem. MB was unable to diagnose, although they did reboot the ECU software.
Old 06-20-2006, 07:21 PM

2005 E500 AMG Sport
I recently had this problem with my 2005 E500. Everytime I would slow down to come to a stop, the car would downshift and jerk badly. It didn't matter whether it was in comfort or sport mode. I took it to the dealer, whom confirmed it. They contacted the warranty department and the dealer was told to replace the transmission with a new one.

They had my car for 3 days, replaced the transmission and I have not had a problem since...
Old 06-20-2006, 11:51 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
08' S550, 04' E320 4matic, 03' Acura TL-S 6 speed, 1968 Vespa P150
My car does the same thing since day one. Only at low speed.

Is this part of the recall?
Old 06-24-2006, 09:13 AM

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts
2015 E 250, 1999 BMW M Roadster, 1939 International Harvester, 2023 GLC
Did teh window down & uo reset & it does work at least for a while proble returned later inthe day. In the shop hope I do not get teh run around. Sounds like a common enough problem that they should replace the Torque Convert or whatever.
Old 06-25-2006, 03:55 AM
Almost a Member!

E240 03
CAn't Be Mechanical

It can't be a mechanical problem because resetting the key - Meaning resetting the driver behavior - can solve the problem for a short period, but when the car starts recording the driver's behavior it got disturbed.

I noticed that cars driven by more than one person using the same key are more likely to face this problem.
Old 06-26-2006, 09:11 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
You most likely need....

New ETC control unit.. mostly on the 03 211's. Specifically a torque converter bump at 9 mph. Car will lurch back and forth. I have driven plenty that do this and there are no complaints about it.

Torque converter/radiator. this would be related to the glycol contamination. You would feel a drivetrain shudder mostly at low rpms under acceleration.. I have seen it mostly in third gear.
Old 06-27-2006, 04:15 PM
Almost a Member!

E240 03
Perfectly Right

Do You know how much does this ETC cost?
Old 06-27-2006, 10:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Strange. Mine only had some occasional jerking, but starting this morning, I slow down to about 5 MPH, and boom, a big jerk in the car. It seems to go away after it warms up.

Kind of makes me feel relieved now that I will no longer have this car by the end of the week.
Old 06-28-2006, 12:03 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well I am not alone

My wife's 04 E320 has done this same thing since she got it. Apparently it is related to the "drive by wire" system. I do not have any documentation on this but a tech at the dealer told me he was aware of the problem and it is a "bug" in the software. I guess that if we all reported this to NHTSA in DC MBUSA might get off their butts and have the problem resolved.

For the record, my wifes car is only driven in "S" (which starts the car in first gear) as opposed to "C" which starts the car in second. This "jerking" only happens at low speeds and it doesn't matter if the car is cold or at operating temperature.

For a car of this caliber to operate like this is irresponsible on the part of MBUSA. I'd bet there is a memo somewhere that outlines procedures for customers complaining about this, but clearly they would not issue a TSB, that would admit there is a problem. "/rant"
Old 06-28-2006, 12:32 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
LS7 powered Corvette
Originally Posted by chairman
My wife's 04 E320 has done this same thing since she got it. Apparently it is related to the "drive by wire" system. I do not have any documentation on this but a tech at the dealer told me he was aware of the problem and it is a "bug" in the software. I guess that if we all reported this to NHTSA in DC MBUSA might get off their butts and have the problem resolved.

For the record, my wifes car is only driven in "S" (which starts the car in first gear) as opposed to "C" which starts the car in second. This "jerking" only happens at low speeds and it doesn't matter if the car is cold or at operating temperature.

For a car of this caliber to operate like this is irresponsible on the part of MBUSA. I'd bet there is a memo somewhere that outlines procedures for customers complaining about this, but clearly they would not issue a TSB, that would admit there is a problem. "/rant"
There is a resolution for this problem as I stated two posts above yours. Most likely the car needs an updated transmission control unit with revised software pertaining to the constantly slipping torque converter. The converter in this transmission is controllable and constantly slipping. Traditional lockup converters are either locked or not. This one is variable.. the software change eliminates the lurching at low speeds.
Old 06-28-2006, 09:25 AM

Sorry I should have read your post [MB] CRS

But I was so excited to see that others were experiencing the same difficulty, I just had to share my frustrations.

My E320 is due for a "B" service, how do I convince them that I need the Transmission Control Unit? Is there a "memo" or some other communication that I can refer the service writer to?

Thanks for your help.
Old 06-28-2006, 10:25 AM

'16 528i MSport
Same league as all of you. It doesn't matter if the enging etemp is cold or normal, it continues on. They said that it was my brakes that causes the jerking but it can't be because I am not applying them when I let the car slow down.

The car is still at the dealer, 2+ days now...
Old 06-28-2006, 02:42 PM

w211 E320
Great..After one year of no jerking it seems that its back again for my car but less serious. The jerking in slow motion is gone but a new type of jerk appeared and it only happens when I touch the gas pedal slowly then harder and it jerks forward twice and its gone. Its getting on my nerves.

Also has anyone of you experience when you step on the gas pedal hard the car doesnt accelerate right away but rather like 2 seconds later? It happens especially when I get onto the freeway. I can hear sounds as if the car power was being charged then it unleashes.
Old 07-09-2007, 05:46 AM

I thought i was the only one with this problem.

Being a BMW driver all these years, I am disappointed with my first Merc !!
Old 07-09-2007, 06:12 AM

Anyone solved the problem with :

TSB P-B-07.00/28f - FEB04 – Engine Control Unit Software Update ??

If so, how much does it cost ??
Old 07-09-2007, 07:52 AM

‘08 E-350 Sport, C6 Vette & Harley Davidson
No help here .. BUT .. the new Lexus 460 is
ALSO having a Jerking Problem with their 8
speed.

Don’t know if it’s the same problem, or not.

jimm

==========

In days - ‘08 E350 Sport, P2, Black/black,
Parktronic, Voice, Bluetooth, Burl Walnut,
Split rear seat, Rear mud flaps, nose star
Old 07-09-2007, 08:37 AM

2020 AMG CLA45S
I had the same problem with my 03 E320 and finally the transmission electrohydraulic control unit had to be replaced. Glad that I was able to complain until MB agreed to offer a goodwill warranty.

My advice: go to another dealer and insist (you guys are lucky in US. In Hong Kong we have no choice: there is only one exclusive distributor of MB).

Good luck!

BR,
Richard
Old 07-09-2007, 08:44 AM
rjm

Multiple
It is disappointing to see this problem still persists in MB's. It seems to be largely confined to 2003-2004 models with a couple of instances in 2005-2006 models. Has anyone had this problem in a 2007 model? I'm wondering if the problem has finally been resolved. I had the same problem in my 2001 E430 that culminated in transmission failure at 24,000 miles. I was so disappointed with that car. I felt that I could not trust it on the road so after having it repaired I sold it. I have since owned 2 BMW's and a Lexus LS430 which have all been trouble free. I like the looks of the new E-Series but the reliability problems still concern me. Does anyone with an '07 have this problem with the jerking/slipping/hesitating transmission?
Old 07-09-2007, 09:40 AM

My problem was fixed

By the dealer. I had to prod them for a while, but when I presented him with the information from this forum, they replaced the "transmission control module" and all was resolved.

We have since gotten an 07 4-matic and have not experienced any problems with this car.
Old 07-09-2007, 10:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 338 Likes on 211 Posts
S560
I have not had any problems with the tranny. I would say the first couple of hundred miles there were some 'odd' shifts, like the tranny got a little confused, or up/down shifted too soon. From my research it is due to the learning capabilities of the tranny. After about 4-500 miles the tranny is now excellent.

You should try the tranny learning reset. Do a search on it, it involves turning the key to run, but not start, flooring the pedal for 5 seconds, and turning the key off while still flooring it (keep in mind the car is off during this). I'm not sure if I am missing a step, so do a search.
Old 07-16-2007, 08:11 AM

Angry

Has anyone made any complaints to top management of MB ?

I think this problem is a disgrace for E-class !! How can a car of this calibre have such a serious problem ?? It's unbelievable !

I'm still looking for an inexpensive solution since I have no warranty.
Old 07-16-2007, 09:17 AM

2010 BMW F10 535i
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Royale
Has anyone made any complaints to top management of MB ?

I think this problem is a disgrace for E-class !! How can a car of this calibre have such a serious problem ?? It's unbelievable !

I'm still looking for an inexpensive solution since I have no warranty.
Believe it or not, W211 is the most problematic car that I have ever had!!!
Old 07-16-2007, 09:29 PM

Originally Posted by rjm
It is disappointing to see this problem still persists in MB's. It seems to be largely confined to 2003-2004 models with a couple of instances in 2005-2006 models. Has anyone had this problem in a 2007 model? I'm wondering if the problem has finally been resolved. I had the same problem in my 2001 E430 that culminated in transmission failure at 24,000 miles. I was so disappointed with that car. I felt that I could not trust it on the road so after having it repaired I sold it. I have since owned 2 BMW's and a Lexus LS430 which have all been trouble free. I like the looks of the new E-Series but the reliability problems still concern me. Does anyone with an '07 have this problem with the jerking/slipping/hesitating transmission?
I have an 07 E. No jerking at all. Has 11,000 miles. This is my first MB and the car has been flawless. "S" seem to change faster and feels more sporty than "C",

Jim-Nickel

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: JERKING!!!!! very annoying.