Flashing CEL + misfiring E63 AMG

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 01-23-2020, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
08 e63 amg
Flashing CEL + misfiring E63 AMG

Hello everyone!

I was driving for about 5 mins And got a cel.. shortly after, the cel started blinking and it felt like the car was misfiring badly, I freaked out and found a safe parking spot , I turned the car off for about 10 mins and restarted it, although the cel was still there the car wasn’t misfiring anymore..drove the car to nearest auto parts store and got the following codes:

p0018
p0300
p0306
p0307
p0308

After leaving the store on my way home it started again ..so I pulled over and did the same thing.. I started the car again and luckily got home without any hesitation ..does anyone has any info on What could be the issue? It only misfires when the cel blinks . Hoping it’s a vacuum leak? If anyone dealt with this I’ll appreciate any advice/suggestions on what to do.

thanks! (07 e63 AMG)
Old 01-25-2020, 01:40 PM

Received 43 Likes on 40 Posts
2009 e550 4Matic
The blinking CEL means its misfiring. Hence why it only misfires WHEN the CEL blinks. Thats exactly what its telling you, misfire. I highly doubt it's a vacuum leak.

codes are:
P0018 Crankshaft Position - Camshaft Position Correlation Bank 2 Sensor 'A'
P0300 Cylinder Misfire Detected Random Cylinders
P0306 / P0307/ P0308 are Cylinder 6, 7, 8 Misfire Detected
The following 2 users liked this post by rodneypierce:
2MERKS (02-08-2020), funkadeli63 (01-31-2020)
Old 01-26-2020, 12:12 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,744 Likes on 1,391 Posts
1922 Ford Model T / no OBD
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...by-jay-safford
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker
and so on.
Such list of codes for multiple items doesn't necessarily mean you have 5 sensors going bad at the same time.
Usually things like that happen when communication between modules suffers. That might be due to low voltage, bad electrical connections or ECU going bad.
Start with easy part - make sure the car is getting proper voltage and give wire harness good bath with MAF or other cleaner.
The following 2 users liked this post by kajtek1:
2MERKS (02-08-2020), funkadeli63 (01-31-2020)
Old 02-01-2020, 12:04 AM

08 e63 amg
Originally Posted by rodneypierce
The blinking CEL means its misfiring. Hence why it only misfires WHEN the CEL blinks. Thats exactly what its telling you, misfire. I highly doubt it's a vacuum leak.

codes are:

thank you!! Makes sense
Old 02-01-2020, 12:05 AM

08 e63 amg
Originally Posted by kajtek1
https://www.yourmechanic.com/article...-jamahl-walker
and so on.
Such list of codes for multiple items doesn't necessarily mean you have 5 sensors going bad at the same time.
Usually things like that happen when communication between modules suffers. That might be due to low voltage, bad electrical connections or ECU going bad.
Start with easy part - make sure the car is getting proper voltage and give wire harness good bath with MAF or other cleaner.

thanks so much!! You gave me hope today! I’ll start doing that and hopefully it’s something simple . ..also thanks for the links ! It helps understands why things might be going crazy
Old 02-02-2020, 02:35 PM

08 e63 amg

codes are:
do you know if the bank 2 sensor A is the drivers or passenger side ?

thanks
Old 02-02-2020, 08:51 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
Originally Posted by funkadeli63
do you know if the bank 2 sensor A is the drivers or passenger side ?

thanks
Drivers side.
The following users liked this post:
funkadeli63 (02-03-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 04:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 258 Likes on 237 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Not pertaining to my e500, but to wife's '05 GMC Yukon xl. (CEL) come on yesterday 2/7 first idea that popped in her head was take it to the dealer! I was like no, bring it home and do some research on it, dropped by AZone and there it was p0300...By virtue of reading what was just wrote in this thread will be my next move to inspect vacuum lines, coils, and plugs! Awesome site for excellent info.
2MERKS
funkadeli63 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 08:17 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
2017 Mercedes E300 4Matic, 2007 Mercedes E63 AMG, 2014 Lexus GX460
pls keep posting the updates so we know what exactly happened and how you resolved it, i am a fellow 07 E63 owner and just came home from a long road trip.
funkadeli63 (02-09-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 10:22 PM

08 e63 amg
Hello everyone today I changed the crankshaft position sensor I took her for a drive everything was fine and after warming up I opened her up for a few seconds on first gear(2 times) that’s when the CEL came back on and the misfire happened ...so far I replaced the crankshaft sensor and intake side camshaft positioning sensor..still have to do the exhaust side camshaft position sensor ..after that one arrives I’ll be out of luck on what I can do before taking it to the repair shop...I really hope the other camshaft sensor will help .

thanks!
Old 02-08-2020, 10:47 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
Hello everyone today I changed the crankshaft position sensor I took her for a drive everything was fine and after warming up I opened her up for a few seconds on first gear(2 times) that’s when the CEL came back on and the misfire happened ...so far I replaced the crankshaft sensor and intake side camshaft positioning sensor..still have to do the exhaust side camshaft position sensor ..after that one arrives I’ll be out of luck on what I can do before taking it to the repair shop...I really hope the other camshaft sensor will help .

thanks!
After you replace the other sensor have all codes cleared and go through a few drive cycles. Then have it scanned again and let us know what pops back up. If you know anyone close with a MB specific scanner that would help as well, rather than a generic OBD2 scanner.
Old 02-08-2020, 10:58 PM

08 e63 amg
After you replace the other sensor have all codes cleared and go through a few drive cycles. Then have it scanned again and let us know what pops back up. If you know anyone close with a MB specific scanner that would help as well, rather than a generic OBD2 scanner.
thanks Rodney!! And thanks for helping out once again!..I will replace it hopefully tomorrow (local store my have it close by) and I’m crossing my fingers that all this time that was the sensor that was causing the issues..it’s weird after a pull the car starts running like if it misfire but once I turn it off she’s back to normal ?? ...I’m afraid it can be something to do with the cams (hope not) but I’ll follow your advice after replacing the exhaust side camshaft sensor and let’s see how it goes from there.

thanks again!
Old 02-08-2020, 11:07 PM

2009 e550 4Matic
thanks Rodney!! And thanks for helping out once again!..I will replace it hopefully tomorrow (local store my have it close by) and I’m crossing my fingers that all this time that was the sensor that was causing the issues..it’s weird after a pull the car starts running like if it misfire but once I turn it off she’s back to normal ?? ...I’m afraid it can be something to do with the cams (hope not) but I’ll follow your advice after replacing the exhaust side camshaft sensor and let’s see how it goes from there.

thanks again!
That is a bit odd. And it happens under heavy load (which is when it's most likely to happen). I don't think you have any issue with the cams.

If no codes come back other than the random misfire, I might be inclined to think that maybe, just maybe you got some bad gas.

Although I'm very much inclined to believe it was/is the cam position sensors on that side. After all, all the misfire codes you got were from that bank. Keep us posted though for sure!!
funkadeli63 (02-08-2020)
Old 02-08-2020, 11:51 PM

08 e63 amg
That is a bit odd. And it happens under heavy load (which is when it's most likely to happen). I don't think you have any issue with the cams.

If no codes come back other than the random misfire, I might be inclined to think that maybe, just maybe you got some bad gas.

Although I'm very much inclined to believe it was/is the cam position sensors on that side. After all, all the misfire codes you got were from that bank. Keep us posted though for sure!!
thats good!! I’m trying to remember how it started ..and it came out of nowhere..car was running good and strong all last year only thing that was wrong was the rear lights went off with license plate etc but it was a small cable that was disconnected from the trunk and it was super easy fix..other than that she was running tremendously! But maybe you’re right could be some bad gas? ..I’m gonna try cleaning the airflow sensors too and see what happens
Old 03-09-2020, 06:51 AM

08 e63 amg
Just an update..after some busy weeks I finally got time to work on the car again and trying to figure out why the car is misfiring..yesterday I cleaned the maf and a bit of the throttle bodies (just to eliminate the easier things ) and now When I’m trying to start the car the ESP message appears on my dashboard and the car won’t start or crank ..now I need to figure out why is it doing that..(battery shows low voltage 10.8) so now I’ve gotta fix that before I fix what’s actually wrong ...so it’s testing battery , fuses,relays, alternator or fuel pump...no idea why she’s doing that to me!!! .

as soon as I figure that out I think I’ll be time to take her to a mechanic since I’m out of options ..😓