E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

CD door does not open after aftermarket head unit install

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 04-05-2020, 09:14 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
2005 E320
CD door does not open after aftermarket head unit install

I removed my OEM radio and 6-disc changer from my 2005 E320 and replaced it with an aftermarket Pioneer unit. I would like to use the space that the 6-disc changer was in as a storage slot but I cannot get the door to open. There were three connectors on the changer assembly; two of them were connected to the CD changer and one was connected to the case that the changer was in. After removing the CD changer, I reinstalled the case and reconnected the connector. All of the controls on the door work except the silver button that opens the door. Do I have to splice power/ground for the door motor somewhere? Do I have to do some type of hardware/software reset since I disconnected power to the unit?
Old 04-06-2020, 11:52 AM

Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
06 E500 4Matic Wagon
I just installed an xtrons unit and lost all control for the cd changer even though its part of the closed loop fiber optic system. The system wont play sound unless the cd changer is connected but the door wont open still. It may be you will need to tap into a power source separately for that mechanism to work.
Old 04-06-2020, 12:58 PM

2005 E320
@Onyxthecat Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that the door doesn't open even though you left the CD changer in place; I would have thought that it would have.

I looked over the housing to see where I might connect power to the motor mechanism. There are two wires (Yellow/Black and Orange) at the bottom of the mechanism that controls the door. So many questions:
  • The wires could be power and ground, but which one is which?
  • What is the operating voltage? I could assume 12V which is standard for car accessories. I could probably get power/ground from the CD player's harness.
  • How does the silver door button factor in? Is the motor powered at all times and pressing the button causes it to cycle? I did notice two devices at each end of the mechanism's travel path. I assume they must be some type of limit switched that tells the motor when to stop.
  • If things work as described above, then why doesn't your door open when the CD changer is still installed? Was there some additional signal that came from the head unit that is involved in the process?
Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 01:02 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 1996 SL500, 2004 E400 4Matic Wagon
I have an xtrons unit installed. I removed the cd changer and replaced it with a fiber optic loop so the head unit will play without the CD changer. As for the door, mine won't open. From what I understand, the original head unit sends a MOST signal that allows the CD changer door to open. There is a company that sells a MOST adapter that appears to allow it to open (see the video on this page): https://enfigcarstereo.com/radios-in...matic-AMG.html. I haven't installed it myself because at this time, tI don't want to worry about making it work with the xtrons harness.

This is the fiber optic loop I purchased:
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFFTB5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1 https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06XFFTB5V/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
You'll only need one of them and I can't remember which one.

Hope this helps.
The following users liked this post:
Onyxthecat (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 01:13 PM

06 E500 4Matic Wagon
I think if you really want it to work, you may have to get a full wiring diagram to see what is possible. Sometimes its just not meant to be modified.
Old 04-06-2020, 02:34 PM

2005 E320
@rbc3az Thanks for the reply. Given what @Onyxthecat said about the door not opening while the CD changer is installed, I was thinking that the OEM head unit needed to be involved in opening the door. I also installed the XTRONS unit which is apparently why the door won't open. When I removed the CD changer, I did install the fiber optic loop. Ironically enough, I purchased the loop from Enfig Car Stereo, the same outfit in the link you shared!

Too bad that the door won't open. I purchased an original Mercedes insert that fits perfectly in the slot where the CD player was. If I could get the door to open, it would be a great storage area. At the moment, I am not interested in paying for another MOST adapter unit to get it to open.

Thanks!
Old 04-06-2020, 02:38 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts
2014 E550
enfig told me that the door wont work unless you use their full MOST system with the factory amplifier.
rbc3az (04-06-2020)
Old 04-06-2020, 02:53 PM

06 E500 4Matic Wagon
Originally Posted by oldsports
@rbc3az Thanks for the reply. Given what @Onyxthecat said about the door not opening while the CD changer is installed, I was thinking that the OEM head unit needed to be involved in opening the door. I also installed the XTRONS unit which is apparently why the door won't open. When I removed the CD changer, I did install the fiber optic loop. Ironically enough, I purchased the loop from Enfig Car Stereo, the same outfit in the link you shared!

Too bad that the door won't open. I purchased an original Mercedes insert that fits perfectly in the slot where the CD player was. If I could get the door to open, it would be a great storage area. At the moment, I am not interested in paying for another MOST adapter unit to get it to open.

Thanks!
What is the part you used to fill in the cd player slot?
Old 04-06-2020, 04:14 PM

Received 11 Likes on 10 Posts
2004 E55 AMG, 1996 SL500, 2004 E400 4Matic Wagon
I bought this part: https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_fro...30091&_sacat=0
It's a shallow pocket though. There might be other parts that would use more of the available space.

However, it doesn't matter for me currently because I can't get to it. I would have to purchase ENFIG's MOST adapter to get the door to open. I just don't want to spend more money to buy their harness (which their adapter comes with) and then try to hack up my head unit's harness to make it work together.
Old 04-06-2020, 10:38 PM

2005 E320
I purchased the same part that @rbc3az did. I found it on eBay as well, from a US-based seller. When I purchased it, it was the last one the seller had so I felt lucky. Little did I know that I would not be able to use it.
Old 04-08-2020, 06:57 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 254 Likes on 233 Posts
'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
@Onyxthecat Thanks for the reply. It is interesting that the door doesn't open even though you left the CD changer in place; I would have thought that it would have.

I looked over the housing to see where I might connect power to the motor mechanism. There are two wires (Yellow/Black and Orange) at the bottom of the mechanism that controls the door. So many questions:
  • The wires could be power and ground, but which one is which?
  • What is the operating voltage? I could assume 12V which is standard for car accessories. I could probably get power/ground from the CD player's harness.
  • How does the silver door button factor in? Is the motor powered at all times and pressing the button causes it to cycle? I did notice two devices at each end of the mechanism's travel path. I assume they must be some type of limit switched that tells the motor when to stop.
  • If things work as described above, then why doesn't your door open when the CD changer is still installed? Was there some additional signal that came from the head unit that is involved in the process?
Thanks!
I have been fighting this for the last four years! When i purchased my ride the silver bezel on CD door was inop and drove me to drink! My question is how to replace the whole assembly by the way it has CD in disc player it will not eject but it works, but will not kick Fred durst playing the "nookie"!
2MERKS
Old 04-08-2020, 07:45 AM

2005 E320
@2MERKS I don't know how to get the CD player out of the housing if you cannot get the door open. Replacing the whole assembly (CD changer and housing) is pretty straightforward. There are several videos that detail how to remove the radio; during this process you have to remove the CD changer. You can follow the instructions up to the point of removing the CD changer and stop. If you acquire a replacement, just reverse the process to install it. I have heard that the radio needs a code installed in order to work; I don't know if that applies to the CD changer, too.

Based on what information I have been able to gather, my current theory is that when the door button is pressed, it raises a signal in the fiber optic system. I believe that the head unit reads this signal and responds by sending a signal to operate the door opening mechanism. I base this theory on two things:
  1. @Onyxthecat said that the door would not open after he replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit even though he left the CD changer in place. This tells me that the OEM head unit is definitely involved.
  2. The Enfig MOST unit that @rbc3az mentioned in his post has the capability of operating the door; Enfig says that it works even if the CD changer is removed. This tells me that Enfig decodes the door button press in its MOST unit and it responds with the proper signal to operate the door. Unfortunately, this also tells me that the MOST unit I used (XTRONS) does not decode and respond to this signal.
Given all of this, I would say that the most likely cause of your door failure is that the mechanism itself is broken (button or opener) so replacing it would solve the problem. However, in the unlikely event that something is amiss in the MOST signal decoding process, changing the CD changer may not resolve your issue.

Last edited by oldsports; 04-08-2020 at 06:30 PM. Reason: Added new information
Old 04-09-2020, 12:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
@2MERKS I don't know how to get the CD player out of the housing if you cannot get the door open. Replacing the whole assembly (CD changer and housing) is pretty straightforward. There are several videos that detail how to remove the radio; during this process you have to remove the CD changer. You can follow the instructions up to the point of removing the CD changer and stop. If you acquire a replacement, just reverse the process to install it. I have heard that the radio needs a code installed in order to work; I don't know if that applies to the CD changer, too.

Based on what information I have been able to gather, my current theory is that when the door button is pressed, it raises a signal in the fiber optic system. I believe that the head unit reads this signal and responds by sending a signal to operate the door opening mechanism. I base this theory on two things:
  1. @Onyxthecat said that the door would not open after he replaced the head unit with an aftermarket unit even though he left the CD changer in place. This tells me that the OEM head unit is definitely involved.
  2. The Enfig MOST unit that @rbc3az mentioned in his post has the capability of operating the door; Enfig says that it works even if the CD changer is removed. This tells me that Enfig decodes the door button press in its MOST unit and it responds with the proper signal to operate the door. Unfortunately, this also tells me that the MOST unit I used (XTRONS) does not decode and respond to this signal.
Given all of this, I would say that the most likely cause of your door failure is that the mechanism itself is broken (button or opener) so replacing it would solve the problem. However, in the unlikely event that something is amiss in the MOST signal decoding process, changing the CD changer may not resolve your issue.
Outstanding diagnosis! I'll have to play it this weekend! Appreciate the assistance
2MERKS
Old 10-06-2020, 11:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W219
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
Outstanding diagnosis! I'll have to play it this weekend! Appreciate the assistance
2MERKS
Hey there

Any updates? I am basically doing the same thing with my cls. I have an after market unit so the button no longer works.

I decided to pull everything apart and found that the motor still works. My guess is the motor receives a signal to change the motors direction to open the CD changer/storage compartment.

I figured I needed to close the fibre loop to trick the system into thinking it’s in audio mode? Am I wrong here? If so, I can try to test what each wire does on the back panel and go from there maybe..
Old 10-07-2020, 08:09 AM

2005 E320
@Tony Myers I gave up on trying to get the door to open. Based on the discussion in this post, it appeared that the easiest way to get the door to open after replacing the OEM radio is to use the Enfig MOST unit because the XTRONS unit does not properly decode the fiber optic signal to operate the door. I thought about trying to find a workaround like you are proposing, but ultimately I decided to live with it. I don't know if anyone has figured out how to get the door open without using the Enfig unit; if so, I would love for them to share how they did it. To that end, if you are successful, please report back!
Old 10-07-2020, 09:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 CLK/05 E500 WAG
Originally Posted by Tony Myers
Hey there

Any updates? I am basically doing the same thing with my cls. I have an after market unit so the button no longer works.

I decided to pull everything apart and found that the motor still works. My guess is the motor receives a signal to change the motors direction to open the CD changer/storage compartment.

I figured I needed to close the fibre loop to trick the system into thinking it’s in audio mode? Am I wrong here? If so, I can try to test what each wire does on the back panel and go from there maybe..
Update.. I started playing around with it, but again life got in the way (argh). There is a sound shop near me so I may give them them some work.
2MERKS
Old 10-10-2020, 05:01 AM

Received 28 Likes on 23 Posts
2005 E320 CDI (SOLD); 2008 ML320 CDI 4MATIC
I installed aftermarket HU (Sony XAV-AX5000) in my 2005 E320-CDI & CD changer door doesn't work but pulling on it manually from below where ashtray is allowed it to swing up & open. I'm having to pull fuse 26 in driver's side SAM when not driving because CD changer keeps searching endlessly for a CD & won't allow CAN-B to sleep so eventually drains battery down to nothing so eventually I will have to bypass it completely sooner than later.
Old 10-10-2020, 05:18 AM

W219
Originally Posted by 2MERKS
Update.. I started playing around with it, but again life got in the way (argh). There is a sound shop near me so I may give them them some work.
2MERKS
Hey there

Not real updates here except for a few blown fuses, haha.

https://imgur.com/a/9bbvQUz

I've uploaded a bunch of images of the device torn down so we can get to this further. I did apply a voltmeter to the wiring and pressed the silver button without any noticeable changes.

Included in the images is the harness that makes this work and a screenshot of me emailing the company asking if they can help.

One thing I've noticed no one trying is the following:

My second image shows 2x fibre optic connectors. My head unit does not use any of these cables.. Has anyone tried looping both?

edit: I have no idea why imgur has rotated my images, sorry for this!

Last edited by Tony Myers; 10-10-2020 at 05:21 AM.
2MERKS (10-13-2020)
Old 10-10-2020, 05:40 AM

W219
Okay new update, check this out, I've sourced this locally, it fits our cars..

https://imgur.com/a/qipyFUo

Thoughts?

The description for the item follows:

Compatible: MERCEDES-BENZ E-klasse W211 2002-2009 CLS-klasse (Non Amplified)

Description Mercedes Installation Kit. Supplied With Black Double DIN Fascia, Steering Wheel Control Interface, FAKRA Antenna Adapter & Universal Patchlead

NOTE: If your car equipped with factory amp ( Becker / Harman), there is 2 option for it: 1) Integrate with factory amp - we can supply Fiber Optic(MOST) adapter. 2) By pass factory amp - we can supply by pass loom.
Links:

https://www.bassjunkies.com/ctkmb06.html
https://www.dynamicsounds.co.uk/conn...tting-kit.html
https://www.bassjunkies.com/accessor....html?make=393

Last edited by Tony Myers; 10-10-2020 at 05:44 AM.