E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Anybody experienced SBC hydraulic control unit failure?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-15-2004, 03:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 E500
Anybody experienced SBC hydraulic control unit failure?

My wife started the car last Sunday and the "dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree" in her words. Teleaide service said it was likely a sensor failure and that she would have brakes but maybe not ABS. $4k in repairs later, it was apparently not a sensor failure. Odd thing is that no malfunction was recorded in the VDO and the message did not appear again upon several starts before the dealer got it Monday afternoon.

Slightly off topic, but this makes over $10k in repairs and 32 days out of service in a year of ownership with several electronic gremlins still to be resolved.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:32 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'05 E320 CDI;'04 S2k;'94 Supra TT;'10 QX56;'38 Buick;98 Port City Offset Late Model
The time out of service would probably qualify you for a lemon law in many states. However, you would have to hurry, since you may soon (or have already) passed length of time or mileage limitations in the lemon laws.
Old 08-15-2004, 03:38 PM

Originally Posted by rdtjr
My wife started the car last Sunday and the "dashboard lit up like a Christmas tree" in her words. Teleaide service said it was likely a sensor failure and that she would have brakes but maybe not ABS. $4k in repairs later, it was apparently not a sensor failure. Odd thing is that no malfunction was recorded in the VDO and the message did not appear again upon several starts before the dealer got it Monday afternoon.

Slightly off topic, but this makes over $10k in repairs and 32 days out of service in a year of ownership with several electronic gremlins still to be resolved.
Are you out of service due to mileage?
Old 08-15-2004, 03:48 PM

2003 E500
DavidNJ:
All problems within lemon law period in Illinois. Have up to 18 months to file. Realistically not something I really want to undertake with all the hassles but my wife is an attorney whom the MB regional rep really pissed off a couple weeks ago (even before this last problem).

Big pow-wow with above rep this Wed.

luxury1:
The dealer with whom I have been dealing kindly puts the value of the service on the bills. I am not out of pocket on this, just out of the car.
Old 08-15-2004, 06:44 PM

DavidNJ:
All problems within lemon law period in Illinois. Have up to 18 months to file. Realistically not something I really want to undertake with all the hassles but my wife is an attorney whom the MB regional rep really pissed off a couple weeks ago (even before this last problem).

Big pow-wow with above rep this Wed.

luxury1:
The dealer with whom I have been dealing kindly puts the value of the service on the bills. I am not out of pocket on this, just out of the car.
Thanks goodness you weren't paying out of pocket. I told my wife today about your expense (as if she cares) and told her we are definitely doing the extended warranty.
Old 08-15-2004, 09:15 PM

2003 E500
luxury1:

Do a search on the extended warranty. There is someone in Cal who sells it for quite a bit below the list price. I won't be keeping the car so I wasn't interested in it.
Old 08-16-2004, 07:50 AM

1988 560SL (sold); 2001 E430 (sold); 2004 SL500; 2009 CL550
Don't ever pay asking for the extended warranty. It is sold individually by dealers and they can really negotiate on them.

Of course, best plan is the negotiate when buying the car because you then have the walk-away power.

I have an 04 SL500 - dealer took 1/3 off the asking price for the full extension of the warranty. My sister bought an E500 from the same dealer a couple of weeks after I bought my car - she got a good deal on hers too....
Old 08-16-2004, 12:56 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
All problems within lemon law period in Illinois. Realistically not something I really want to undertake with all the hassles but my wife is an attorney whom the MB regional rep really pissed off a couple weeks ago (even before this last problem). Big pow-wow with above rep this Wed.
It’s been a while since we last exchanged info, may I suggest we continue dialogue privately. Important question, check your private messages.
Old 08-16-2004, 04:07 PM

2003 E500
konigstiger:

Read it and replied. Thanks publicly for your interest today and assistance in the past.