Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-02-2004, 02:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MBenz
Re: Sgem

SGEM,

Where did you put the MP3 CDs? Is it in the DVD Slot in the trunk, disc-changer, single CD-player (the one on-the dash)? My car is 2004 W211 with Navigation. E-Class is luxury car and I highly demand that it must be able to play MP3. Japanese cars do great jobs. Check new Acura TL. Nice interior, play MP3, DVD-audio (I think), and best of all it supports BLUETOOTH PHONE!. $35k total damage and everything is there! I hope MB will do better job.
Old 09-02-2004, 02:57 PM
Almost a Member!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
lpolo... you are from SF Bayarea too right? i called SF and AutoBahn and ask for software updates.. and the service guys are shock that the newer MBs can play mp3s

I have not upgraded my softwares yet, so I am not sure if MP3 is something that the latest software update can solved.

Thoughts?

Originally Posted by lpolo
SGEM,

Where did you put the MP3 CDs? Is it in the DVD Slot in the trunk, disc-changer, single CD-player (the one on-the dash)? My car is 2004 W211 with Navigation. E-Class is luxury car and I highly demand that it must be able to play MP3. Japanese cars do great jobs. Check new Acura TL. Nice interior, play MP3, DVD-audio (I think), and best of all it supports BLUETOOTH PHONE!. $35k total damage and everything is there! I hope MB will do better job.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:07 PM

MBenz
macrossvfx,

yes, i am in SF. i'll try this afternoon after works and see if i can play MP3 in the car. quoted from SGEM "I have a 2004 E320 and I'm able to play burned CDs (MP3s). Just COMAND, no NAV". i don't know how he did that, but i'll be happy if it works. yeah, don't ask service guy about this kind of issue, i think people here and even us might be more knowledgeable on cool stuffs. either they really have no clue or they just don't want to help because no money involved. i drop the my remote-key last time. it stop working because the battery is slightly loose from its position. i came to the dealer asking if they can fix, they said "NO, I CAN SELL YOU NEW ONE FOR $150.00". Douh, all they think is just $$$. I went to radioshack borrow a tool, dang it works! in any case, i'll try to check if the MP3 works. i'll post the news.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:20 PM
Almost a Member!

I tried on mine and it didn't work... I have a 2k4 e320 as well.
Hope you have better luck then me

I am trying to get the car in service and have them put in whatever updates that they can find..

Best if there's a way to check the version number of what SEGM has v.s. ours, but not sure if it is possible. I work close by to AutoBahn, I might walk over there at lunch and ask someone about it again (sigh... I am sure its useless anyways)

macrossvfx,

yes, i am in SF. i'll try this afternoon after works and see if i can play MP3 in the car. quoted from SGEM "I have a 2004 E320 and I'm able to play burned CDs (MP3s). Just COMAND, no NAV". i don't know how he did that, but i'll be happy if it works. yeah, don't ask service guy about this kind of issue, i think people here and even us might be more knowledgeable on cool stuffs. either they really have no clue or they just don't want to help because no money involved. i drop the my remote-key last time. it stop working because the battery is slightly loose from its position. i came to the dealer asking if they can fix, they said "NO, I CAN SELL YOU NEW ONE FOR $150.00". Douh, all they think is just $$$. I went to radioshack borrow a tool, dang it works! in any case, i'll try to check if the MP3 works. i'll post the news.
Old 09-02-2004, 03:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

07 M6, 05 Noble, 01 S4, Smart ForTwo
no dice on my early 04, ive tried every which way again. with mute button, in cd, am, fm etc. *sigh*
Old 09-02-2004, 06:34 PM
Almost a Member!

2007 E350W4
SGEM,

Ipolo,

I tried the CD both in the single CD-player (in dash) and the 6 disc changer (right below) and worked fine. Could it be the blank CDs? I burn my MP3s on Memorex blanks (CD-R). I read someplace (I'll see if I can find it) that the type of CDs may affect the end result. I did not do any software upgrades nor anything.

I hope this helps a bit more.
Old 09-02-2004, 09:07 PM

2013 w204 C350
Originally Posted by SGEM
Ipolo,

I tried the CD both in the single CD-player (in dash) and the 6 disc changer (right below) and worked fine. Could it be the blank CDs? I burn my MP3s on Memorex blanks (CD-R). I read someplace (I'll see if I can find it) that the type of CDs may affect the end result. I did not do any software upgrades nor anything.

I hope this helps a bit more.
He has an 04 like you although he must have a Euro Comand with Updated firmware which plays mp3s. All of the US 2005's will play mp3 discs right out of the showroom. If you want to play mp3s on your US spec 04 get a euro headunit becuase currently there is no update for the 2004 US spec w2111 to play them. Im right by you in Shaolin and have the euro headunit with DVD + TV in motion / RDS / MP3 and all the jive the euro one gives you.

fazooley
Old 09-03-2004, 12:30 AM

2007 S550
Maybach setting

I have to say I was rather surprised that this worked so well. I have a 2003 E-500, Steve retro-fitted the European COMAND navigation system, which to me was like getting a new car.

I have started to regret having selected the Euro model as it meant giving up the ability to have Satellite radio. And while RDS was nice, it’s not worth losing the Auto-station feature.

Now I set the car to 211_US and was really surprised to hear American English coming out the Navigation system as well as a home button on my navigation screen (this is very convenient). The RDS feature is gone but in its place I've got Auto-station as well as getting the weather band back and the ability to switch between AM and FM by simply pressing the button (in the standard Euro setting I have to push AM/FM then select MW).

I decided to see what the Maybach (W240) setting would do and was rather surprised, the entire interface is in a different color setting, there is also an added feature in the audio screen for controlling the rear displays. When you adjust the balance there is just the target and no picture of any car, I’m thinking the image file for the car is missing. I think I'm going to leave the car in this setting for a while, it looks really cool.
Old 09-03-2004, 01:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
hey, i also tried the maybach, nothing was really different, i also checked out r171, which was the same as the w211 ece i believe. also, TMC didnt work, because it said there was no reception, that would be real cool if it did work though.
Old 09-03-2004, 02:36 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by bmms8
i also checked out r171, which was the same as the w211 ece i believe.
R171 is not the same as W211... it will allow CDs to eject with the W211 changer door closed.

-s-
Old 09-03-2004, 03:06 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by scorchie
R171 is not the same as W211... it will allow CDs to eject with the W211 changer door closed.

-s-

scorchie, thanks for the tip. i think i have set my settings, to w240, and w211 keyboard. btw, do you know how use TA, or TMC if its available by any chance? thanks
Old 09-03-2004, 04:50 AM

Originally Posted by bmms8
scorchie, thanks for the tip. i think i have set my settings, to w240, and w211 keyboard. btw, do you know how use TA, or TMC if its available by any chance? thanks
Isn't TMC only available in some European countries? Do you really have it in US?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=tmc%2A
Old 09-03-2004, 11:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally Posted by Oslo
Isn't TMC only available in some European countries? Do you really have it in US?

https://mbworld.org/forums/showthrea...ghlight=tmc%2A
As far as I know, we do not have TMC available.

Can you use the same code on your European comand in Norway? What happens if you change it to the US setting?
Old 09-04-2004, 02:19 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
2015 S212
How do you control the DVD?

I can see how to put it in, but how do we bring it up and run it? The audio section does not have a dvd option in it.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:09 PM

Originally Posted by etenn
As far as I know, we do not have TMC available.

Can you use the same code on your European comand in Norway? What happens if you change it to the US setting?
Haven't tried. I got all the features I can ask for already, and since I have "DVD and WAP in motion" I'm a little scared that tampering with the unit can remove that.

Last edited by Oslo; 09-04-2004 at 03:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2004, 03:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Oslo
Haven't tried. I got all the features I can ask for already, and since I have "DVD in motion" I'm a little scared that tampering with the unit can remove that.
Hi Oslo,
Totally agree. I have heard that some UK car manufacturers are offering TMC???

A brilliant system that hopefully will be 100% operational in the UK.

John
Old 09-04-2004, 03:48 PM

Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Oslo,
Totally agree. I have heard that some UK car manufacturers are offering TMC???

A brilliant system that hopefully will be 100% operational in the UK.

John
Hi john, TMC is available in many European countries, also in the UK. But DC must pay to get the code from the TMC operator, and implement that code in the Navigation unit. Before that happen, no TMC
Old 09-06-2004, 11:30 PM
Almost a Member!

E320
Eureka! DVD-Video works!

Originally Posted by MBenzNL
BUT...all of this is of NO USE to 95% of you people with a US comand as the US comand in NO WAY is able to play DVDs unless you are blessed with one of the very first US cars with a factory equipped comand. The US comand is NOT able to play DVDs (believe me, I have sacrificed two of those in order to get it worked out).

On the older US spec comand that do have DVD playback acapbillity, I only could get the DVD to play while the car was not in motion...and could not get it to play DVD while the car was in motion. Whenever the HU was switched off, the DVD would start at scratch again when switched on...not at the spot where it stopped.
These older US spec comands with DVD playback are only used for a very short while before the real US spec comands were installed...so don't hold up your hopes too high of finding such a comand in your US spec car.

I must be one of those "lucky" ones. I have a 6/03 build (don't know which decade) Navi replacement 2003 E320, and DVD video works on mine. No MP3 though. The DVD is a good gimmick, but kind of useless since the video fades out when the car is in motion -- unless you're going backwards

Last edited by PSquared; 09-06-2004 at 11:34 PM.
Old 09-08-2004, 12:19 AM

2003 E500
I have been following this thread for a while (this thread and the 357 thread).. and have been VERY CURIOUS!!!! I tried the 357 trick and got it to set my E500 to ECE mode..and love it. The MAP screen has a new font for the street names which I find MUCH EASIER to read. Gone is the HOME button... and the "brit-chicks'" voice is there too... sort of like have Lara Croft giving me directions =). Also when inserting a CD into the headunit.. it NOW shows CD Audio... AND DVD Video logos.

TODAY, I decided to see if my car would read mp3's... so I made a disc and tried it in the headunit.. and the cd changer... STATIC for both. Then I decided to pop in a DVD movie (League of Extro. Gentlemen) into the HEADUNIT...... I then started my car to go to work.... expecting to see an ERROR on the screen... when out of the CORNER of my eye I saw a RED screen.. I read the screen and the screen read "FBI: Warning" about viewing this movie, etc... THE MOVIE WAS PLAYING IN MY CAR..... it then proceeded with a "Views expressed...." screen and then the MAIN MENU!!!! At this point.. I had backed up the car to the end of the driveway.... On my way to work.. it played the movie.. EVEN WHILE DRIVING!!!!

Sorry... this needs a new post. =)

Peter
Old 09-08-2004, 12:25 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by NitroShredder
I have been following this thread for a while (this thread and the 357 thread).. and have been VERY CURIOUS!!!! I tried the 357 trick and got it to set my E500 to ECE mode..and love it. The MAP screen has a new font for the street names which I find MUCH EASIER to read. Gone is the HOME button... and the "brit-chicks'" voice is there too... sort of like have Lara Croft giving me directions =). Also when inserting a CD into the headunit.. it NOW shows CD Audio... AND DVD Video logos.

TODAY, I decided to see if my car would read mp3's... so I made a disc and tried it in the headunit.. and the cd changer... STATIC for both. Then I decided to pop in a DVD movie (League of Extro. Gentlemen) into the HEADUNIT...... I then started my car to go to work.... expecting to see an ERROR on the screen... when out of the CORNER of my eye I saw a RED screen.. I read the screen and the screen read "FBI: Warning" about viewing this movie, etc... THE MOVIE WAS PLAYING IN MY CAR..... it then proceeded with a "Views expressed...." screen and then the MAIN MENU!!!! At this point.. I had backed up the car to the end of the driveway.... On my way to work.. it played the movie.. EVEN WHILE DRIVING!!!!

Sorry... this needs a new post. =)

Peter
wow, nice!! i also get both dvd video, and audio, but never thought to actualy try it. i might try it now!! hopefuly itll work, thanks for telling my lazy ***
Old 09-08-2004, 01:18 PM

08' S550,,,C63!
what is the easiest explanation for the secret menu or 357 trick? could someone explain to me how does this work?I have 2005 e500 no nav. will dvd movies play?
Old 09-08-2004, 01:32 PM

MBenz
TO: NitroShredder

Nitro, please post how you do the 3-5-7 exactly to make it works. I did it last night, but nothing happened. I tried both methods when the car engine is off, hold 3-5-7 and power up the console --> doesn't work.

i powered up the console, radio, press 3-5-7 --> doesn't work either.

please help.
Old 09-08-2004, 04:49 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by PSquared
No MP3 though.
...that can be taken care of with a comand software upgrade...

greetingz,
Old 09-08-2004, 05:44 PM

2003 E500
Just turn on the radio (that's what I did).. and then 3 5 7 at the SAME TIME... all at once.... and HOLD it for a few seconds. In my case the menu popped up almost immediately... but others have said it takes a second or two... if it doesn't work with radio... try from the NAV screen... or from the CD audio screen...etc.

Good luck

TO: NitroShredder

Nitro, please post how you do the 3-5-7 exactly to make it works. I did it last night, but nothing happened. I tried both methods when the car engine is off, hold 3-5-7 and power up the console --> doesn't work.

i powered up the console, radio, press 3-5-7 --> doesn't work either.

please help.
Old 11-08-2004, 02:28 AM
Out Of Control!!

w211 & w124
This isn't working for me either but I did manage to do some sequence that got me in a menu that wasn't in the manual. I was able to change the voice to English GB to give me a nice British accent but now I can't figure out how to get back in.

Anybody know how to get in that menu again?

My car's build date is 07/04 MY2005

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.