E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2009, 08:24 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 E320
Originally Posted by Mackhack
I didn't say you can't nor said I the EM is gone. What I said is the software developers changed the key sequence so people can't access it anymore.

jkv11503 did you try your new codes on a US or Euro COMAND?
I use the new keycode with an updated US COMAND. Have you tried accessing the engineering mode again using the new code or are you still using the old firmware?

Last edited by jkv11503; 11-01-2009 at 08:27 PM.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:43 PM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
I tried the new key sequence and it worked. But couldn't use the well known key order to enter the hidden menu.
Old 11-01-2009, 09:25 PM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
My phone book Hubi! I put a bluetooth module in to use my phone. If you need help with that let me know. I put a pictured installation manual together while I did it in my car.
Mackhack,

can you send pics to me? hubi_83@hotmail.com
how much di you pay? actually, now we have probably different prices...do you have any idea how much is it? i found one kit but they were asking around 400, and it was just a cable and a box that you put in the armrest.

hubi
Old 11-23-2009, 06:19 PM

2004 E320
Hubi,
I'm trying to follow your steps to get DVD functionality with my US model COMAND. My car is an early 2004 build like yours and I believe my COMAND has a DVD ROM in it. Can you help?

I can successfully get into engineering menu. in the engineering menus, it shows DVD hardware info. I can access hidden menu with 1+3+8, BACK, 1+4+7. In the hidden menu, I'm even able to set DVD to region 0. But I have no DVD functionality...

My problem is in the screen where you select the model (5+3+7 code). In the model screen, W211ece is not an option I can choose.

Now you describe using an update CD (from 2003). It seems I need to do this step....can you elaborate on the update CD you used? What software version does your system report now when in the engineering menu? Mine currently reports 32/2003. I'm thinking your update CD downgraded your COMMAND to an earlier version so that you could select W211ece?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Looks like I'm lucky enough to have an old COMAND unit with DVD hardware inside...now just trying to get some EURO firmware in it now so I can use it!

Thanks
Chris
Old 11-25-2009, 12:19 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by cgrwolf
Hubi,
I'm trying to follow your steps to get DVD functionality with my US model COMAND. My car is an early 2004 build like yours and I believe my COMAND has a DVD ROM in it. Can you help?

I can successfully get into engineering menu. in the engineering menus, it shows DVD hardware info. I can access hidden menu with 1+3+8, BACK, 1+4+7. In the hidden menu, I'm even able to set DVD to region 0. But I have no DVD functionality...

My problem is in the screen where you select the model (5+3+7 code). In the model screen, W211ece is not an option I can choose.

Now you describe using an update CD (from 2003). It seems I need to do this step....can you elaborate on the update CD you used? What software version does your system report now when in the engineering menu? Mine currently reports 32/2003. I'm thinking your update CD downgraded your COMMAND to an earlier version so that you could select W211ece?

Any help you can provide would be greatly appreciated! Looks like I'm lucky enough to have an old COMAND unit with DVD hardware inside...now just trying to get some EURO firmware in it now so I can use it!

Thanks
Chris
You have the hardware but not the software in form of a video processing codec/player. That's why you can't play DVD movies. You can't change the firmware either.
Old 11-28-2009, 02:37 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hubi

also, what about the phone? in US it said "phone unavailable" and in euro --> please insert phone.......what is that?
It means the same. You don't have a phone installed.

Did you find out by now how to enter the secret menu?
Old 11-30-2009, 06:05 PM

It means the same. You don't have a phone installed.

Did you find out by now how to enter the secret menu?
Hi,

unfortunatelly I can't get into the hidden menu
I saw one e320 for sale and I went there to check it out. It was 2004 and I was able to go to the hidden menu very easily by *#<- but I in my 04 I can't....
I can play dvds while stopped, but the most important thing for me is that mp3 function.

HUBI
Old 01-26-2010, 08:54 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Hubi,

What update disc did you use?? Like the previous poster said, it seems as if you downgraded your firmware so you have an W211ECE option there. I accidentally updated the firmware and now don't have any ECE otions....all my options are W211US or something similar.

What update disc (part number) did you use?? Mine firmware was also from 2003. And I know how to get into the secret menu where you can enable Video-in-Motion. Because I can access all that including the Engineering Menu. But I just can't change the US model to ECE (Euro) because I don't have that option anymore.
Old 01-26-2010, 09:48 PM
Banned

rvashi,

I think I answered you that question in the other forum per PM!
Old 01-26-2010, 09:57 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
rvashi,

I think I answered you that question in the other forum per PM!
Yeah you answered me via PM but you said your tool enables VIM, but doesn't that mean that I would have to have Video enabled already (meaning the car should be playing DVDs already ...just not while in motion) and your tool would enable that??

My problem is that my car was capable of Video but now since I changed the model to W211US, I cannot go back to W211ECE because the option no longer exist.
Old 01-26-2010, 10:01 PM
Banned

Nope it doesn't. I know but the thing is regardless, EM really has nothing that excited. All you see is like trouble codes which have some cryptically names and such and you can't do anything with that information.

I was just like you about EM until I got in a few times and realized myself there is nothing really you can do with that stuff other than messing up your COMAND and you basically did it by playing around and not knowing what you're doing (and I mean that with the highest respect and not at all as a offense to your person)!
Old 01-31-2010, 03:02 PM

Lightbulb

Hi

I am looking for an update/downgrade that allows us to:

- change coding from US to EURO
- get into a hidden menu to change dr. ditr menu.

someone has some ideas?

ps. I have one from rvashi and this allowes my to go to EM and hidden menu as I wrote before, but cant change to EURO by 357 (has just 4 US version for coding, but for keyboard i have EURO & US)

Hubi
Old 02-01-2010, 10:02 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 139 Likes on 94 Posts
W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Hubi
Hi

I am looking for an update/downgrade that allows us to:

- change coding from US to EURO
- get into a hidden menu to change dr. ditr menu.

someone has some ideas?

ps. I have one from rvashi and this allowes my to go to EM and hidden menu as I wrote before, but cant change to EURO by 357 (has just 4 US version for coding, but for keyboard i have EURO & US)

Hubi
What part number do you use for the update?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 AM

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
What part number do you use for the update?
Hi

now I have W211 589 07 22 00

any ideas?

Hubi

Last edited by Hubi; 02-02-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:03 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Okay so I took the car to the dealership today.

I'm somewhat good friends with the shop foreman at the dealership and explained the situation to him. I showed him the 5+3+7 menu and told him that well, there needs to be a ECE option here. I'm not too sure what he needs but just vaguely told him that DVD playback can be enabled using his STAR diagnosis tool.

Now I'm not sure if that will actually work or what tool exactly he needs to use....if anyone here has any idea how to enable it with dealer tools, please let me know so I can tell him...and see if we can't get this going on a USA COMAND system. He said he was gonna' check some version coding and things of that sort.
Old 02-02-2010, 03:08 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by rvashi

I'm somewhat good friends with the shop foreman at the dealership and explained the situation to him. I showed him the 5+3+7 menu and told him that well, there needs to be a ECE option here. I'm not too sure what he needs but just vaguely told him that DVD playback can be enabled using his STAR diagnosis tool.

Now I'm not sure if that will actually work or what tool exactly he needs to use....if anyone here has any idea how to enable it with dealer tools, please let me know so I can tell him...and see if we can't get this going on a USA COMAND system. He said he was gonna' check some version coding and things of that sort.
I explained it already that the dealer can't do it b/c his SDS (Star) is not in Developer Mode. You got x PM's from me already about this topic!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:26 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

W221 S600, W220 S55 AMG Kompressor, W124 300E, W140 S320, W210 E3204M W164 ML320 Bluetec

SDS cannot be used to add this option to the menu - developer or otherwise. I don't know of a way you can do this short of a clean firmware installation, which I am not sure if that will even work.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:28 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Polar Bear
SDS cannot be used to add this option to the menu - developer or otherwise. I don't know of a way you can do this short of a clean firmware installation, which I am not sure if that will even work.
I don't think he really wants to add/change this ECE in his COMAND. He wants to enable VIM. 537 is there to change the keyboard layout/boot logo.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I don't think he really wants to add/change this ECE in his COMAND. He wants to enable VIM. 537 is there to change the keyboard layout/boot logo.
It sounds like he is seeing the same behavior that he would see in a US COMAND - no option for W211ECE variant coding. If this is the case, he cannot make the SAT button have the VIDEO function, and it will not read DVD-Video media.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:38 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
5+3+7 is also there to change the Model of the COMAND unit (not just the logo/keyboard).

VIM I can enable on my own but I cannot change the model of the of the COMAND unit to ECE.

The idea is that once the COMAND unit thinks its a EURO model, it will enable Video mode instead of SAT.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:39 PM
Banned

5+3+7 is also there to change the Model of the COMAND unit (not just the logo/keyboard).

VIM I can enable on my own but I cannot change the model of the of the COMAND unit to ECE.

The idea is that once the COMAND unit thinks its a EURO model, it will enable Video mode instead of SAT.
Your absolutely wrong on that one sir! US COMANDs have no VIDEO capability and that is a myth. You might have a DVD-ROM drive in the upper slot (as some models got fitted with DVD-ROMs instead of CD-ROMs) but no DVD encoding software within the firmware!
Old 02-02-2010, 11:47 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Mackhack, I've read about this in various forums though. This is possible!! They US Comand Unit DO have a dvd decoder.

In fact, Hubi had this himself...but when he updated his Comand software, he lost the ECE option and his Comand Unit changed to the USA version.

What I'm thinking is that (besides using the equipment you have) is to complete erase the flash/firmware on the unit and flash a oem firmware or a Euro firmware. But I've tried this also to completely format the unit but it just won't format correctly. It still saves the software so the unit doesn't crash/brick.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:49 PM
Banned

Mackhack, I've read about this in various forums though. This is possible!! They US Comand Unit DO have a dvd decoder.

In fact, Hubi had this himself...but when he updated his Comand software, he lost the ECE option and his Comand Unit changed to the USA version.

What I'm thinking is that (besides using the equipment you have) is to complete erase the flash/firmware on the unit and flash a oem firmware or a Euro firmware. But I've tried this also to completely format the unit but it just won't format correctly. It still saves the software so the unit doesn't crash/brick.
Nice, how do you erase your firmware ROM?
Old 02-02-2010, 11:55 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Nice, how do you erase your firmware ROM?
This is possible from the Engineering Menu. I'm not in front of the car right now so I can't tell you exaclty but its there.
Old 02-02-2010, 11:57 PM
Banned

This is possible from the Engineering Menu. I'm not in front of the car right now so I can't tell you exaclty but its there.
I think I remember something like that. You don't have to since I have no intentions of breaking my working unit. What's your current firmware version?

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.