Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-03-2010, 01:45 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 295 Likes on 247 Posts
223.168 & 213.012 & 906.633 & 214.005
Originally Posted by rvashi
Mackhack, I've read about this in various forums though. This is possible!! They US Comand Unit DO have a dvd decoder.

In fact, Hubi had this himself...but when he updated his Comand software, he lost the ECE option and his Comand Unit changed to the USA version.
I understood a few early W211 US Comand units were Euro HW because of shortage with the US parts. These few may have DVD video capability but one should not conclude the same applies for all units.
Old 02-03-2010, 02:45 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
E500 & ML500
I believe early 2003 COMAND units have the ability to play video. Besides that model, you'll need a EURO comand. As for the flashing firmware in order to play DVD video, it is impossible. Since the US COMAND do not have a DVD encoder chip on the motherboard (although some US COMAND do have a DVD-ROM drive, but lack the ability to play video). Hope that clears it up
Old 02-03-2010, 11:00 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Guys, Hubi and I have the same Comand Unit. And he was able to play DVDs because the select few USA cars that came with the DVD drives also had DVD decoders built in.

But yeah, the issue here is how to flash the system with a Euro Update Disc because it reports "Wrong Variant"....so I'm thinking that the dealership has to have some tool to overide the Wrong Variant error and flash whatever the want...such as in a case where the Comand Unit just won't respond and keeps asking for an update disc as some here have described in different threads. I know that when a system is stuck at the Software Update screen, it has the ability to take any Variant.
Old 02-03-2010, 11:48 AM
Banned

Received 116 Likes on 99 Posts
Originally Posted by wampa
Since the US COMAND do not have a DVD encoder chip on the motherboard (although some US COMAND do have a DVD-ROM drive, but lack the ability to play video). Hope that clears it up
That's exactly what I said earlier!
Old 02-03-2010, 12:34 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
No no...you're wrong on this!

ALL the US W211s that came with a DVD-drive in the COMAND Unit single slot have a built-in DVD decoder that can play DVDs just like their European counterpart. But this was the case only for about 6 months worth of production for the 2004 cars.

I have this confirmed with various people on this forum including our own Hubi, here.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:40 PM
Banned

ALL the US W211s that came with a DVD-drive in the COMAND Unit single slot have a built-in DVD decoder that can play DVDs just like their European counterpart. But this was the case only for about 6 months worth of production for the 2004 cars.

I have this confirmed with various people on this forum including our own Hubi, here.
Alright, if you say so.I don't wanna ride on this anymore. I don't need it since I have Euro COMANDs and I doubt it is worth it anymore to keep going for me here.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:42 PM

E500 & ML500

I believe some early 2005 COMANDs might also have DVD-ROM drives. But they lack the dvd encoder chip. As mentioned earlier only early 2003 have this built in chip. Why not take out the COMAND out, and check the model number? This for sure will tell you whether your unit is capable of DVD video, instead of assuming you have it.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:43 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
Originally Posted by Mackhack
Alright, if you say so.I don't wanna ride on this anymore. I don't need it since I have Euro COMANDs and I doubt it is worth it anymore to keep going for me here.
Oh its just a general conversation for everyone. Not bad feelings or no harm done....just a learning experience for everyone.

Aside from that, I'm gonna' go pick up the car today here in a couple of minutes so I'll see what the foreman has to tell me...and then I'll email you about the tool.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM

2004 E55 AMG (USA)
I believe some early 2005 COMANDs might also have DVD-ROM drives. But they lack the dvd encoder chip. As mentioned earlier only early 2003 have this built in chip. Why not take out the COMAND out, and check the model number? This for sure will tell you whether your unit is capable of DVD video, instead of assuming you have it.
Okay so tell me which model numbers have DVD playback?? Becuase all the model numbers that I saw on Mercupgrade website only show Video capability on Euro Comand Units; They don't show Video capability on ANY of the USA Comand Units....so that's not credible.

So do you know exactly which US versions are capable of DVD playback? I can try to look into this.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:46 PM

E500 & ML500
x2

But it gets kinda distracting when the passengers are watching a good movie that I haven't seen yet.

But I stay focused with my eyes on the road, and just listen to the movie.
Old 02-03-2010, 12:49 PM
Banned

x2

But it gets kinda distracting when the passengers are watching a good movie that I haven't seen yet.

But I stay focused with my eyes on the road, and just listen to the movie.
That's exactly what we do... 3.5h hours to Vegas and 2 movies and you're there, 4 hours to Phoenix, 2 movies and a few songs and you're there. Time flies by when a movie is playing for the passenger. And b/c I know all my movies by hard, I just listen to them and enjoy them just like listening to music.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:38 PM

S550, E320 Sport Wagon and A170CDI :)
It's hot here....

yeah I could change the version to Euro before I did the upgrade...
Euro version had a Video instead of a SAT and I liked RDS in the radio - I saw the name of the radio station and the songs they were playing....now I am stuck with the US version...

Hubi
Old 02-03-2010, 09:05 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by Hubi
It's hot here....

yeah I could change the version to Euro before I did the upgrade...
Euro version had a Video instead of a SAT and I liked RDS in the radio - I saw the name of the radio station and the songs they were playing....now I am stuck with the US version...

Hubi
How did a software upgrade change your hardware SAT button to a VIDEO button?
Old 02-04-2010, 12:33 AM

E500 & ML500
Hubi and rvashi, do know what model number your COMAND is (Ex: BE 7040)? Should say on the side of the COMAND.
Old 02-04-2010, 01:04 AM

E500 & ML500
How did a software upgrade change your hardware SAT button to a VIDEO button?
I guess what he meant, is that before he updated his firmware his SAT button (when in ECE mode) had the same ability as the VIDEO button found on the EURO COMAND. But now since he is unable to go ECE mode (due to update), his SAT is just a SAT button .

Also to clear things up. If the back of your US COMAND looks like the picture below. There is a high probability that you have one of the early 2003 COMANDs, that has the ability to play video. Some early 2003 w211 US Mercedes came with the Becker COMAND BE 6062, which I am assuming is similar to the EURO COMAND BE 6061. Most of the current COMAND usually have model numbers that start in with BE 7XXX.

Finally if you are in doubt, just crack open your COMAND

Green FAKRA - Video Input (only if Video capable)
25-way D-Type - Rear Screen (only if Video capable)

FYI, on later EURO COMANDS, the 25-way D-Type was removed. I should know because I have two EURO COMANDS. One with the 25-way D-Type, that came with the original 2003 firmware. And the newer model without that connector, which came with the 2006 firmware.

Old 02-04-2010, 10:56 AM

[QUOTE=wampa;3923854]I guess what he meant, is that before he updated his firmware his SAT button (when in ECE mode) had the same ability as the VIDEO button found on the EURO COMAND. But now since he is unable to go ECE mode (due to update), his SAT is just a SAT button .

Hi

thats exactly what I gto....after changing to ECE, SAT button became VIDEO function....
I cant check the model of my COMAND because actually I just sent my car to europe and will be there in 6 weeks....then I will check it out

HUBI
Old 02-04-2010, 12:22 PM
Banned

I guess what he meant, is that before he updated his firmware his SAT button (when in ECE mode) had the same ability as the VIDEO button found on the EURO COMAND. But now since he is unable to go ECE mode (due to update), his SAT is just a SAT button .
Thanks but I was more like sarcastic on this one. But good information wampa. I had one of these older Euro COMANDs with the green FAKRA in a box and I tested the picture quality once. These old COMANDs have a bad picture quality compared to one of the newer ones.
Old 02-04-2010, 04:56 PM

E500 & ML500
Thanks but I was more like sarcastic on this one. But good information wampa. I had one of these older Euro COMANDs with the green FAKRA in a box and I tested the picture quality once. These old COMANDs have a bad picture quality compared to one of the newer ones.
For the newer model of the EURO COMAND, I had to have the dealer unlock the VIM using SDS (the COMAND would not allow me to downgrade firmwares). But for the older EURO COMAND model I have. I was able to unlock VIM, through the firmware since it still had the original 2003 firmware.

But your correct the newer COMAND appears to have a better resolution.
Old 02-04-2010, 05:06 PM
Banned

For the newer model of the EURO COMAND, I had to have the dealer unlock the VIM using SDS (the COMAND would not allow me to downgrade firmwares). But for the older EURO COMAND model I have. I was able to unlock VIM, through the firmware since it still had the original 2003 firmware.

But your correct the newer COMAND appears to have a better resolution.
Wow, who's your dealer who has his SDS in Dev. Mode? Yes the resolution is 100 x better. The old ones have literally horizontal lines that are clearly visible while watching a movie.
Old 04-05-2010, 09:27 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
Thumbs up

I own 2004 E55 and i confirmed it play MP3 after upgrade firmware.
Not the DVD though. Playing with 537 code is just for changing AMG and MB logo only.
Hope this clear things up a bit.
Old 01-18-2011, 06:12 PM

Hi everyone!

I decided to do everything to get the system downgraded and whola!! got the ECE system back!
Under 5+3+7 I changed the model to w211ECE and keyboard to w211ece. What changed is the Radio - got RDS now and after I push SAT button, I have VIDEO - see pictures.
Under the SERV - there is a different menu than in US version. Here you can see on the last picture -I have some kind of internet access - whatever it is I don't know how it works and how to turn it on.

Going back to VIDEO - after I put a CD/DVD to the single slot - I get two signs - DVD video and compact disc digital audio - 1st pic I believe - but the system don't see the disc!!!!
I can eject and put it back but it looks like it doesnt recognize that the CD is inside. Do you guys know what I can do to get it work?

Hubi
Attached Thumbnails Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.-01182011021.jpg   Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.-01182011024.jpg   Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.-01182011025.jpg   Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.-01182011026.jpg  
Old 01-18-2011, 06:21 PM
Banned

WAP is the early cell phone Internet approach. It never really got accepted and not many pages were developed for WAP.
Old 01-18-2011, 09:58 PM

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post
2004 E55 AMG
dont wast your time. you need to replce the chip inside your head unit.
the screen you see its only the display of the software. for it to recongize the DVD your unit must a chip that do the reconizing and done of the us version has it. Too many rules in us and to many sueing.
It won't work you only have the DVD ROM.

Originally Posted by Hubi
Hi everyone!

I decided to do everything to get the system downgraded and whola!! got the ECE system back!
Under 5+3+7 I changed the model to w211ECE and keyboard to w211ece. What changed is the Radio - got RDS now and after I push SAT button, I have VIDEO - see pictures.
Under the SERV - there is a different menu than in US version. Here you can see on the last picture -I have some kind of internet access - whatever it is I don't know how it works and how to turn it on.

Going back to VIDEO - after I put a CD/DVD to the single slot - I get two signs - DVD video and compact disc digital audio - 1st pic I believe - but the system don't see the disc!!!!
I can eject and put it back but it looks like it doesnt recognize that the CD is inside. Do you guys know what I can do to get it work?

Hubi
Old 01-18-2011, 10:02 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by nphra
dont wast your time. you need to replce the chip inside your head unit.
the screen you see its only the display of the software. for it to recongize the DVD your unit must a chip that do the reconizing and done of the us version has it. Too many rules in us and to many sueing.
It won't work you only have the DVD ROM.
I think he's right. HUBI you knew that right? You are a clever guy! US head units don't have the DVD decoder hardware/software in it.

But I give HUBI credits for his work, effort and the will to try til the end!
Old 01-19-2011, 03:27 AM

I think he's right. HUBI you knew that right? You are a clever guy! US head units don't have the DVD decoder hardware/software in it.

But I give HUBI credits for his work, effort and the will to try til the end!
Thanks for the credit

but before I upgraded to 46/06 last year, I was able to play DVD movies, only when car was stopped obviously. Now the only problem is that the single slot doesn't recognize the disk - doesn't matter if its dvd or cd....

HUBI

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Secret menu in the 05's COMAND unit.