E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

picking up my E , what to look out for?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 08-27-2004, 04:37 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
picking up my E , what to look out for?

gonna pick up my '05 E320 4matic wagon this weekend. it only has the premium package. as i don't go pick up new MB very often.. (never... ) what do i need to check when i pick up the car to make sure i don't get cheated by the dealer?

tia!
Old 08-27-2004, 05:47 AM

2003 E320
Originally Posted by jmpsmash
gonna pick up my '05 E320 4matic wagon this weekend. it only has the premium package. as i don't go pick up new MB very often.. (never... ) what do i need to check when i pick up the car to make sure i don't get cheated by the dealer?

tia!
Make sure there is steering wheel
Old 08-27-2004, 07:16 AM

Received 63 Likes on 56 Posts
How about a few freebies like a keychain or whatever? Don't forget it's supposed to come with two keys.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:24 AM

CLK320
Get a good price, check for scratches, ensure that everyone works properly... then ask them to throw in an SLR.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:09 AM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
Ensure that all of the components of the Premium Package are there, undamaged (no scratches or tears), and in working order.

Following are a few items to look out for. I'd encourage you to test everything. I repeat, EVERYthing:
  1. Comfort features (smart key features, easy entry/exit, seat memory, etc.)
  2. Audio (HK logic 7 - take your favorite CD with you, blast it, listen for crackling noises)
  3. Navigation (make sure you get the latest NAV CD, check the version #)
  4. Wiper blades (listen for abnormal wiping noise [scratching during the cycle, or clunks at mid/end cycle]).
  5. Listen for abnormal noises while the car is idle and audio is off (pings, beeps, pongs, swooshes, phisssssts, etc. )
  6. Look under the front seats, make sure everything is tucked away nicely
  7. Dyanamic seats (make sure they work)
  8. DRIVE THE CAR BEFORE YOU TAKE DELIVERY
    a. Look for pulling to the right
    b. steering wheel shimmering (vibration)
  9. Your spouse (they'll eventually notice that you've fallen in love with your car . Inevitably this will be a problem.. unless you're swingers, in which case you may both revel in the pleasures of your new w211 )
This is not an exhaustive list, nor does it imply that you will encounter these types of problems; it's just preventative.. you know.. so that you can avoid taking the car in for service every other week!

Enjoy your new car, and remember: it's not the Destination that matters, it's the Journey. And what a journey it is!!

Cheers!

Last edited by Miguk_Saram; 08-27-2004 at 11:53 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:11 AM

I am usally really good about this but when I picked mine up I was so excited that I didn't do a thorough check and I regret it.

Make sure you take delivery in the daylight outside (not in the garage) so you have the best light possible. Look for any damage whatsoever, scratches, chips, cracked plastic, etc. I would also recommend bringing a microfiber towel and a squirt bottle and go over ever bit of the car because what might look like dust or dirt might be something else like glue or a scratch... Don't be rushed by the dealer, tell them you are going to take 15 minutes to look over the car and you will grab them when you are finished.

If you find any difficiencies make sure to get them to agree on a time when they will correct. All this needs to take place before you sign the papers...

Good Luck!
Old 08-27-2004, 09:50 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Yes, look for damage but I am sure that if there are any problems after the fact they will fix it up for you..
Old 08-27-2004, 10:11 AM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
If you need to look at the car and inspect it thoroughly before you take it off the lot, then you should not buy it from that dealer.

The way I bought my first new Benz was that he gave me the keys, I drove around with it over the weekend and on Monday, he sent me the papers then I send them back signed and a check attached. The last one I picked up, he told the prep guys NOT to touch the car. I picked it up, on Friday and on Monday he had his check.

My point is this, I expect Mercedes dealer to act like a Mercedes dealer.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Check the mileage. If it's more than 40 miles, ask why.

I recently picked up a new 2004 E320 and immediately took it on a 4,600 mile trip. I haven't been able to find a fault with the car other than I don't like the transmission and I wish the SBC brakes didn't try to do things other then normal braking.

The transmission can get confused in slow speed driving. If you step on the brake and then on the accelerator the transmission will take it's time trying to decide what to do and then downshift too far.

It's smoother than the transmission on my 300E but not nearly as good.

It also seems to forget some of the things I've programmed into it and I've also discovered that the EZ-Exit feature won't put the seat back as far as you expect it to. I suspect that only very short people will ever see the seat come back when you exit the car.

If you are normal height, forget the EZ-Exit feature.

BTW, it's not built like the 300E but then nothing else is either.
Old 08-27-2004, 10:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts
2018 Mclaren 720s, 2021 Aston Martin DBX
Originally Posted by F1Fan
How about a few freebies like a keychain or whatever? Don't forget it's supposed to come with two keys.
Don't be so timid. Ask for wheel locks, car cover, trunk organizers, watches, or anything else in the parts or gift shop that strikes your fancy. If there was no bird-dog involved, you should go for it.
Old 08-27-2004, 01:57 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Look for scratches and dings on the alloy wheels, especially around the rim near the rubber. Easy to miss in the excitement of picking up the car. This ties in to the earlier suggestions to ask the dealer why if the car has more than nominal mileage on it; nobody shoud have been parallel-parking your new car before you.
Old 08-27-2004, 03:48 PM

cheers guys for all the suggestions!

i will look out for the SLR at the back.
Old 08-27-2004, 04:46 PM

2004 E500
When I picked up mine, between my excitement and all the features of the car, I didn't remember half of what the salesman told me in his very detailed explanation of all of the controls and devices. Over the next several weeks, I must have spent several hours on a couple of different occasions with the owner's manual familiarizing myself with operation of all the controls (and making sure that everything operated as it should).

You can make yourself miserable on what should be a joyous occasion by worrying about possible defects. I would only check the mileage and for any cosmetic defects (which could be claimed that you caused after delivery). Anything else will be covered by the warranty, so stay positive and get the most enjoyment out of the experience.
Old 08-27-2004, 06:33 PM

Originally Posted by Spartan
If you need to look at the car and inspect it thoroughly before you take it off the lot, then you should not buy it from that dealer.

The way I bought my first new Benz was that he gave me the keys, I drove around with it over the weekend and on Monday, he sent me the papers then I send them back signed and a check attached. The last one I picked up, he told the prep guys NOT to touch the car. I picked it up, on Friday and on Monday he had his check.

My point is this, I expect Mercedes dealer to act like a Mercedes dealer.
Most of the time you will not know whether the dealer missed a scratch or not before you buy the car unless you check. Any car can be scratched in transit and any dealer can miss it. I don't think that you can make that judgement.

Also, for the car that you picked up when the dealer told the prep guys not to touch it was the cardboard still on from the ship or was it already prepped? I don't know why you wouldn't want the dealer to make it spotless before driving it off the lot???
Old 08-27-2004, 06:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by luxury1
I don't know why you wouldn't want the dealer to make it spotless before driving it off the lot???
If you let the dealer detail the car, you'll spend the next six months with a clay bar getting the scratches and swirls out of the paint.

The biggest problem you'll have is from road dirt because (unlike BMW), Mercedes ship their cars on open carriers.
Old 08-27-2004, 07:16 PM

do they actually detail the car for the customer before they let the customer take it?

BudC can you explain your statement about the swirl and scratch?
Old 08-27-2004, 07:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2011 E550, 2013 GLK
Originally Posted by jmpsmash
do they actually detail the car for the customer before they let the customer take it?

BudC can you explain your statement about the swirl and scratch?
Well, my salesman told me to bring the car back and they would detail it for me. Of course I have no idea what that means but it's been my experience over more than 20 years of Mercedes ownership that if you don't want feather scratches on your new car you don't let the dealer have some kid work your new car over.

I didn't even let the dealer wash the car after I picked it out of the 130 or so cars they had on the lot. I took it home and washed the junk off of it and then put several coats of Zaino on it before I left on vacation.

It took me a long time to get the feather scratches out of the last two Mercedes I bought and I wasn't going to let it happen again.
Old 08-27-2004, 09:24 PM

Something just dawned on me, I washed the car the other day and saw swirl marks and thought that I did it but I am so careful and even bought super expensive towels to dry with. This must have come from the dealership. How do the swirl marks get on the car and how can Mercedes allow this to happen?
Old 08-27-2004, 09:36 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Something just dawned on me, I washed the car the other day and saw swirl marks and thought that I did it but I am so careful and even bought super expensive towels to dry with. This must have come from the dealership. How do the swirl marks get on the car and how can Mercedes allow this to happen?

because MB arent detailers really. they wash cars with cheap wax, and use cheap towels, that have been used repeatedly, with dirt embedded on them.. the best way to get a swirl free car is to ask your dealer to NOT detail the car. GL
Old 08-27-2004, 11:04 PM

06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
Most of the time you will not know whether the dealer missed a scratch or not before you buy the car unless you check. Any car can be scratched in transit and any dealer can miss it. I don't think that you can make that judgement.

Also, for the car that you picked up when the dealer told the prep guys not to touch it was the cardboard still on from the ship or was it already prepped? I don't know why you wouldn't want the dealer to make it spotless before driving it off the lot???
I would NOT take delivery of the car if the dealership detailed it. My salesman knows me for a decade and he knows that I do not kid about these things.

When I wash my car, it gets a warm rinse with a power wash to remove heavy grit, a warm water powerwash soaping, a quick rinse, a top to bottom hand wash with THREE different lambskins, a warm water rinse and a fluff dry...then a Zaino. Two hours of TLC.

Have you seen a dealer do that?

Last edited by Spartan; 08-28-2004 at 12:35 AM.
Old 08-27-2004, 11:54 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by Spartan
I would NOT take delivery of the car if the dealership detailed it. My salesman knows me for a decade and he knows that I do not kid about these things.

When I wash my car, it gets a warm rinse with a power wash to remove heavy grit, a water powerwash soaping, a quick rinse, a top to bottom hand wash with THREE different lambskins, a warm water rinse and a fluff dry...then a Zaino. Two hours of TLC.

Have you seen a dealer do that?

exactly, all the dealer knows is how to set the hose on high

btw, what does "TLC" mean? thanks
Old 08-28-2004, 12:07 AM

2003 E320
I don't know if this is still what's happening, but when I bought my car, there were 3 different brands of tires that were standard. I preferred Michelin, and my dealer was willing to change out the Continentals that came on my car for Michelins at no cost. I presume you would want to do that before you put any mileage on the tires if it's something you care about.

Also, I asked the dealer to remove all of the ugly stickers that are EVERYWHERE on the car! They did a great job.

The freebie they offered me was a Mercedes cup that fits into the cup holder (I passed on it).

I suggest that you ask for or buy the cargo net that will keep your stuff from falling off of the back--and have them install it for you! Your trunk will hold a lot more when you go to the grocery store (and it won't all roll out on the ground) if you have the net!

Enjoy!! And allow plenty of time to take delivery. As I recall, it took forever for them to do the paperwork and give me a hands-on instruction session.

Last edited by rickyfanmdr; 08-28-2004 at 12:15 AM.
Old 08-28-2004, 12:18 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Perhaps the question should be.... how did my car get swirl marks on it when I have the cerami clear "nano technology paint"????
Old 08-28-2004, 12:19 AM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by bmms8
exactly, all the dealer knows is how to set the hose on high

btw, what does "TLC" mean? thanks
"Tender Loving Care", when it doesn't mean "The Learning Channel."
Old 08-28-2004, 12:32 AM

2004 E320, 2004 Lexus GX470
Take your spouse. I was so excited that I didn't have the patience to look things over. The lady ended up having them take out 2 thumb-sized smudges from carpets inside the car. I was ready to roll. Definitely enjoy the occasion.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: picking up my E , what to look out for?