E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dvd In Motion.. In Usa!!! (stock E500)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-08-2004, 11:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2014 BMW 550i
I have an early build 04, so I'm hopeful that I may be able to get DVD. That would be awesome.

I have some time to fool around with it tomorrow, so I will be checking it out, but after the MANY times that I have tried, I only was able to get in to the menu twice. Once to change it to the ECE setting (with no change evident), and another was to change it back since I didn't see any changes.

And every time I have tried it on the Radio mode, it either sets a channel, or goes to preset 3, 5, or 7 after I release. The only times I was able to get it to work was when I was in CD mode.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
MB
Originally Posted by ajm0824
I have a 2005 E320 and tried the 357 trick. It brought up the menu in question. Not sure what I set

Currently I am unable to bring the menu up again.

is it
1. set to fm radio
2. turn power off
3. turn power on, while turning power on hit 357?
any thoughts?
hey, it is just turn on power. radio should be on. then press 357. when the menu comes up, W211_US should be selected, select W211_ECE instead. then turn off the power. wait 5 minz, turn it back on, you should notice different soft keys. to try to see if the dvd works, load up a dvd in slot 0(head unit) GL.

if it all works, and the DVD plays, i would suggest going back to the radio, pressing 357 again, and your upper right soft key will be labeled "keyboard" press that, and go to W211_ECE as well, so both selections are at w211_ECE. then when you play your DVD, and want to go to NAV, you can press nav, and when you want to go back to the DVD press "SAT", it will act as your "video" button. with the kayobard selected as US, it wont work. GL, hope it works!
Old 09-08-2004, 11:35 PM

'06 SL65
I also have an early '04 (built in Nov of '03) and nada after trying the "357" code.
Old 09-08-2004, 11:56 PM

'07 CLK 350 Coupe, '03 E500 Sport;'02 E320 4Matic; ,08 Jaguar XJ; 10 E350 '65 Alfa Giulia Sprint GT
Question

I tried the 357 routine and set it to 211_ece and let it sit. the next day, i started it up and got the english accent. very cool. i noticed that upon start up of the head unit, it said DVD. now i was very excited that it would play movies (early '03 build). I went inside to get a DVD and inserted it into the single slot above the screen. It was a little sluggish going in and made some noises, then started playing music. I was a little dumbfounded at first, but realized I put the DVD in without ejecting the CD already in the head unit.

Any help in removing 2 discs in a single slot? I'd like to remove it myself before going to the dealer and making up some lame excuse like my kids put it in there.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:02 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
Well, I did get a software update after I started to get awful static on the radio. I guess that put the safety feature on the video during motion. Any way to roll back the software update? I actually tried resetting things -- it erased the memory on the NAV destinations and changed some menu words (P. Code for ZIP and Junc. for Cross Street, etc.) but it didn't remove the saftey feature. I didn't think it would.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:07 AM
Almost a Member!

E320
It looks like at least some of us who suffered through the Navi replacement fiasco did get something for our pain and suffering -- even though MB tried hard to hide it from us
Old 09-09-2004, 01:17 AM

Originally Posted by PSquared
Well, I did get a software update after I started to get awful static on the radio. I guess that put the safety feature on the video during motion. Any way to roll back the software update? I actually tried resetting things -- it erased the memory on the NAV destinations and changed some menu words (P. Code for ZIP and Junc. for Cross Street, etc.) but it didn't remove the saftey feature. I didn't think it would.
You can try this:

For all of your guys from Europe that has a car that is equipped with DVD/TV, and is frustrated when the screen goes black at 8 km/h and above. Here is the solution:

Take your car to your dealer, and talk to the guy who is responsible for the Star Diagnostic System.

Ask him to do the following:

1. Menu “TV in Motion” is greyed out (German: TV während der Fart)
2. Activate the “Rear Seat Monitor” (even if it’s not installed) (German: Heckmonitore freigeben)
3. Then you will have access to the menu: “TV in motion”. Activate it.
4. Go to the menu: DVD-Region. If it’s EUROPE, change it to D (Germany) and back to Europe
5. Give the guy some pocket money

Enjoy, but be aware: It’s your responsibility as a driver to keep your eyes on the road, and leave the entertainment to your passenger!

Ps.
The menus will probably not be exactly as I spelled it, but you/he will find something very similar.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:26 AM

MBenz
Guys, mine is W211 2004 E500 with navigation.

It is CONFIRMED that 2004 can do 3-5-7 trick.
To do this is totally so hard. I tried so many times and only 1 works. I didn't remember how I did it exactly, but I did it on the NAV menu and press 3-5-7 trick. It displays W211_USA, W173_USA, W211AMG_USA something like that with additional Keyboard menu on top-left screen. I changed it to W211_ECE already and I was out from the vehicle thought that I would finish my dinner first.

I am back with DVD disc and MP3 disc, however, it won't play DVD and it won't show DVD logo either. Now, I am struggling doing the 3-5-7 tricks. So if anyone there with 2004 knows how to do this properly, please post comment on this forum. For now, I am only able to CONFIRM that 2004 can do the 357 trick.

For whoever can play DVD in your car, is it able to play MP3 CD also? If it does, it would be very cool.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:34 AM

Originally Posted by lpolo

For whoever can play DVD in your car, is it able to play MP3 CD also? If it does, it would be very cool.
You will need a software update to be able to play MP3 in the DVD drive.
Old 09-09-2004, 05:40 AM
Banned

Oslo,

Do you know if this will still work after the latest firmware update that enables MP3? I have heard that once the Comand has the MP3 compatible software without DVD in motion having been enabled, it may not be possible to get DVD in motion enabled.

I'm definitly going ask my dealer to try out your suggestion as I was there three days ago and had the engineer look into enabling DVD in motion for me. After having a look at it he told me that Star Diagnosis would not let him enable DVD in motion so I really hope your work around is successful.

I'll report back once I have been back to the dealer.
Old 09-09-2004, 06:08 AM

Originally Posted by Daisy
Oslo,

Do you know if this will still work after the latest firmware update that enables MP3? I have heard that once the Comand has the MP3 compatible software without DVD in motion having been enabled, it may not be possible to get DVD in motion enabled.

I'm definitly going ask my dealer to try out your suggestion as I was there three days ago and had the engineer look into enabling DVD in motion for me. After having a look at it he told me that Star Diagnosis would not let him enable DVD in motion so I really hope your work around is successful.

I'll report back once I have been back to the dealer.
Your'e probably right. I also heard that. Although I had the "DVD/TV in motion" before I updated to MP3, and it's still there. I also heard that all E's produced after February 24th, 2004 don't have this possibilty either. There is a Swiss company that made an unit which will do the job, but I think the price is close to USD 4.000.-! According to all the members of this forum that would like this feature, you can start your own business.
Old 09-09-2004, 12:51 PM

It sounds like this "hack" uses the SAT button for the DVD. What if you're already using the SAT button for OEM Sirius radio?
Old 09-09-2004, 01:02 PM

2013 S550
Well, I was able to watch part of a DVD of the Rolling Stones Live at the Max while sitting in traffic on the way to work. It plays just fine at any speed (eventually I did get up to 80 or 90). The picture is very sharp and the sound is great. It was easy to switch from 4 x 3 to 16 x 9.

Before I tried the DVD, I did insert a CD into slot zero and verify that I got split screen with the DVD and the CD logos. I felt it was pretty safe to try the DVD after that. And I did pause it when I shut the car off; restarting the car had the DVD continue from the point I paused it.

The speedo display shows "Video" and then the Scene number when playing a DVD. (When listening to the radio, it also shows the station/song/artist info if RDS is activated on the menu.)

I did have the car in the shop in July for the 10,000 mile oil change, and asked that they apply any software updates I was missing. I was told that they did apply one, but I still get the intermittent ejection of a CD from slot zero on occassion (once or twice a month).

The font for the street names is a bit thinner and easier to read, as Nitroshredder indicated. I miss not having the Home button on the Navigation, but it's easy to pick it up from Last Destinations. I noticed that when set to US mode, the voice will pronounce the I-610 loop as "six-ten", whereas the European setting announces it as "six-one-oh." I also liked the phrasing of some of her voice commands better -- can't remember an example right now.

My replacement car was delivered on July 24th (2003) and had a June build, same as Nitroshredder.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:50 PM

I tried the 357 trick on my '04 E500 to no avail. I tried it with every different source selected, powered it on and off a few times. Never got into a screen that you guys are seeing. Only thing I did end up doing was resetting some of my radio presets in the process.

I did put a DVD into the drive just for the hell of it, and got a CD Error message on the screen.

Last edited by kyee; 09-09-2004 at 02:09 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 01:54 PM

Received 68 Likes on 48 Posts
'18 E63S AMG
Originally Posted by kyee
I tried the 357 trick on my '04 E500 to no avail. I tried it with every different source selected, powered it on and off a few times. Never got into a screen that you guys are seeing. Only I did end up doing was resetting some of my radio presets in the process.

I did put a DVD into the drive just for the hell of it, and got a CD Error message on the screen.
Apparently, us '04 owners appear to be shut out here unfortunately.
Old 09-09-2004, 02:11 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

The True OG Modded out W203
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
Apparently, us '04 owners appear to be shut out here unfortunately.

DAMMIT!
Old 09-09-2004, 02:38 PM

2000 E55
is this for e500 models only can it work on a e55 w210 with nav?
Old 09-09-2004, 02:50 PM

Originally Posted by elboricua
is this for e500 models only can it work on a e55 w210 with nav?
Not only E500, but the whole range of W211 and S211. Will not work on W210. Try this the code for W210: Radio in FM-mode. Press Mute + 1 + 3 for 5 seconds. Good luck
Old 09-09-2004, 07:23 PM

2004 E500 w/ AMG Sport Package
Originally Posted by CALBenzo
Wow! That's awesome if it works for others. Now I'm totally bummed that the '04's aren't capable of the 357 trick. Bummer
I know what you mean
Old 09-09-2004, 07:27 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by PSquared
Any way to roll back the software update?
PLEASE be aware that DOWNGRADING the software on a W211 comand will make the comand NOT to accept any dscs at all...not even the software UPgrade disc...

greetingz,
Old 09-09-2004, 07:32 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Daisy
Do you know if this will still work after the latest firmware update that enables MP3?
NO, it only works when TV is enabled BEFORE the MP3 software upgrade has been done...if the TV in motion is disabled before the MP3 upgrade is done, you will have to find somebody with a modified stardiagnose system who can enable TV (DVD) in motion...

greetingz,
Old 09-09-2004, 07:34 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Oslo
There is a Swiss company that made an unit which will do the job, but I think the price is close to USD 4.000.-! According to all the members of this forum that would like this feature, you can start your own business.
...any MODIFIED stardiagnose can enable TV/DVD in motion on ALL (211) comand systems...I can enable TV/DVD on any 211 comand with my stardiagnose...

greetingz,
Old 09-09-2004, 10:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2014 BMW 550i
Today I was able to get it to get in the menu on my early build 04 (only the third time that I have been able to do it). Set it to ECE, turned off the car and let it sit for about 10 minutes. Got back in, and tried a DVD, and it did not work (I was also looking for the TA button first, so my attempt was futile). Hopefully, after letting it sit all night that it will work for me tomorrow. That would make my weekend, as I've got another couple of hours of driving.

My method, which I was not able to replicate, which was probably similiar to the way I had done twice before, was that the car was on, turned radio off. Turned car off and removed key. Then powered up the radio, hit 357, and the menu appeared. A little later I tried to get in to it with the same method, but could not, so your mileage may vary.
Old 09-10-2004, 12:25 AM

2005 E320
Just did some heavy testing with this 357 trick

- I have a 2005 E320
- I had the car off & radio off
- I turned the radio on and set it to CD Changer
- Pressed 3-5-7 at same time, it went to "please Wait" screen to change the disc, (I held down 3-5-7 the whole time) when the radio screen came back up there was the menu.

- Funny though I did not have much luck replicating consistantly.
- I was able to do the trick the first 2 times in a row.
- Failed the replicate the next 3 times.
- Shut radio off then on again -
- Tried a couple more times and failed
- Then it worked a couple more times.

The menu items were as follow:
Model: (Default Menu)
W211 US
W240 US
R171 USA
AMG 211 USA
AMG 171 USA
Keyboard: ( I think; upper left soft key)
Developer
W211 USA
W211 ECE
W240 USA
W240 ECE
Varient Type

I had it on Model: W211 US; Keyboard:W211 ECE
and video did not work.

No matter what I did I could not get it to work again the next 50 times so I gave up.

Is anybody good at figuring out magic tricks, or maybe have David Copperfield on speed dial?
Old 09-10-2004, 01:42 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

MB
Originally Posted by ajm0824
Just did some heavy testing with this 357 trick

- I have a 2005 E320
- I had the car off & radio off
- I turned the radio on and set it to CD Changer
- Pressed 3-5-7 at same time, it went to "please Wait" screen to change the disc, (I held down 3-5-7 the whole time) when the radio screen came back up there was the menu.

- Funny though I did not have much luck replicating consistantly.
- I was able to do the trick the first 2 times in a row.
- Failed the replicate the next 3 times.
- Shut radio off then on again -
- Tried a couple more times and failed
- Then it worked a couple more times.

The menu items were as follow:
Model: (Default Menu)
W211 US
W240 US
R171 USA
AMG 211 USA
AMG 171 USA
Keyboard: ( I think; upper left soft key)
Developer
W211 USA
W211 ECE
W240 USA
W240 ECE
Varient Type

I had it on Model: W211 US; Keyboard:W211 ECE
and video did not work.

No matter what I did I could not get it to work again the next 50 times so I gave up.

Is anybody good at figuring out magic tricks, or maybe have David Copperfield on speed dial?
hey, i believe it will only work if the model can be changed to ECE, GL anyway

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dvd In Motion.. In Usa!!! (stock E500)