E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

Dvd In Motion.. In Usa!!! (stock E500)

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 09-23-2004, 12:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
UK Law:

A person shall not drive, or cause or permit to be driven on a road, a motor vehicle, if the driver is in such a position as to be able to see, whether directly or by reflection, a television receiving apparatus or other cinematographic apparatus used to display anything other than information -

(a) about the state of the vehicle or its equipment;

(b) about the location of the vehicle and the road on which it is located;

(c) to assist the driver to see the road adjacent to the vehicle; or

(d) to assist the driver to reach his destination.

(2) In this regulation "television receiving apparatus" means any cathode ray tube carried on a vehicle and on which there can be displayed an image derived from a television broadcast, a recording or a camera or computer.
Old 09-23-2004, 12:57 PM

Received 80 Likes on 63 Posts
'07 GL450
glojo:

My $.02:

DVD "in motion" presents no greater risk than any of the following, questionable distractions (in fact, it may present a considerably lesser risk, in some cases):
  • Changing CD's in your player
  • reading (newspapers, books, maps, NAV, etc.)
  • trying to find your ringing cell phone (buried in your purse or briefcase)
  • figuring our whether or not you want to answer the call (looking at the CID)
  • tending to your wailing 2 yr old in your back seat 'cause he's annoying you with his non-stop, increasingly louder, nonsensical banter
  • swirving to miss that pothole you didn't see because of the car in front of you
  • cleaning up the coffee you just spilled because of that darn pothole!
  • checking out the hot babe, in the miniskirt on the other side of the street
  • checking out the same hot babe in your rearview mirror
Now, admittedly, this is not an exhaustive list and some of these are just silly, but you have to agree, on any given occasion there are many distractions that present themselves while we drive; whether we choose to allow them to distract us (vs. maintain focus on the task at hand) is strictly up to the driver. Some of us are able to multitask, while others.. not so much.

Yes, I know that the above arguement could be used to justify your cause: "..too many distractions already, why add another?", but, if that were the case.. then why carry your children, or your dog in your car? If, while you're driving, you should focus strictly on that: driving - and nothing else, then I propose the following:
  • redesign automobiles so that they only allow 1 occupant, the driver - and take away all the bells and whistles; not only are you removing all the distractions, but now you also have a smaller, more fuel efficient vehicle.. so you're also helping the environment AND the economy! Or
  • make it more difficult to acquire a drivers license, thus ensuring that only individuals that meet the strictest of criteria (multitasking among them) are allowed to travel the roads.. What about everyone else, you ask? Two words: Public Transportation. (don't get me started on that one!)
Now, don't get me wrong, distracted drivers truly get on my nerves - they're the ones creating traffic!! - but some of us know better than to turn our attention away from the road (at 65mph) to reach back and slap little Joey because he won't shut up.

The same applies to "DVD in motion".. common sense (which is not so common) is all it takes.

Again, my $.02 . No direspect intended.
Old 09-23-2004, 01:33 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by Miguk_Saram
glojo:
Again, my $.02 . No direspect intended.
Hi,
I agree with every word that you say, and it is sad that we sometimes have to make laws to legislate for what should surely be deemed common sense.

I do not suppose our laws are anymore severe than any other countries, but we try to stop drivers\riders from doing 'dangerous acts' Most of your examples are all covered by our driving laws, and would come under the heading of either "Driving without due care and attention" or "Driving without reasonable consideration for other road users" We all believe that we are excellent drivers, and woe betide anyone that dares to criticise the way we drive or the habits we develop.

Oslo as usual has researched the subject very well and highlighted the relevant Act, but very sadly like countries everywhere money buys innocence.

As I stated earlier a driver of a foreign owned large lorry was found not guilty of causing the deaths of a number of children who were sat in there broken down vehicle on the Hard Shoulder of a motorway (the hard shoulder is a marked off strip of asphalt that is for emergency use only on all our motorways)

The driver of the lorry had been watching a DVD, and because it was a foreign lorry he was sat on the nearside of his vehicle and could easily be seen. This lorry had quite simply drifted from the nearside lane, off the actual carriageway, and onto the hardshoulder.

There were no skid marks until after the collision, now having read Oslo's very detailed definition you will see that the driver was at least guilty of having the DVD player just fitted in such a position that he could see it. However the court believed his representative when he said that he was not watching the film and he had just been listening to it. He was found not guilty!!!!!

That decision did not fetch back the children he killed. I cannot understand how anyone can defend having a television or DVD player actually playing in there view whilst driving. No doubt the driver of the lorry regrets killing the children and obviously did not mean it to happen.

I respect your point of view and I understand the points you make, but having been in the position of having to tell someone there family has been killed in a road accident (not connected with DVD players), I still respectfully disagee with you.

Take care
John

It is nice to debate differing points of view without getting offensive or personal.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:53 PM

2004 E500
I must agree with John on this one. As Migul_Saram points out, there are plenty of distractions already. But, why add one more, especially one as attractive as television which engages two of the most powerful senses. Have you ever tried to get the attention of someone who is engrossed in a favorite TV program? Most of the other distractions in a moving vehicle are either transitory or auditory.
Old 09-23-2004, 02:58 PM

2013 S550
I have the DVD in motion, but I can't imagine playing a movie in there. That would be distracting. I'm usually alone in the car, but I don't think I'd allow a passenger to watch because it would be distracting.

However, I do regularly play concert DVDs. I spend far more time looking at or fiddling with the navigation system than watching the screen of a concert. To me, it's just like playing the CDs or radio. I might glance when playing the latter to see the artist or song, but I can drive to work (7 miles) without ever looking at the screen (if traffic is not stopped) if a concert DVD is in.

The DVDs usually have renditions of songs that I can't get on CD, and I find that I sometimes get interesting results setting the DVD to Dolby Digital 5.1 and leaving the system on Logic 7. Really fills the car with sound and you get a lot of depth and (it seems like) more dynamic range.

I agree all of Miguk_Saram's observations, except I would add to that list women putting on makeup in the car. I see this a lot - sun visor down, looking in the mirror, putting on eyeliner and, just for the heck of it, every now and then looking at the road. THAT is scary.

Last edited by ctouhey; 09-23-2004 at 03:02 PM.
Old 09-23-2004, 04:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by ctouhey
I agree all of Miguk_Saram's observations, except I would add to that list women putting on makeup in the car. I see this a lot - sun visor down, looking in the mirror, putting on eyeliner and, just for the heck of it, every now and then looking at the road. THAT is scary.
Surely NOT whilst they are moving???

Don't forget the guy with one hand 'holding up the roof of the car' and his other hand 'picking his nose!!!

Regards,
John
Wherre's Harley when you want him????
Old 09-23-2004, 04:57 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
W211 2005 CDI, X166 2013 350 BT, 997.1 2008 C4S
Irreponsible to have this feature while you are driving. As a physician, I've seen so much carnage and death from avoidable MVA's that you would think you become accustomed to it... Nope, in fact everytime you fill out the attending reports, I shake my head at the driver's stupidity and the sensless loss of life. Good luck to all that have this feature and I wish you drive very far away from others.
Jay
Old 09-25-2004, 07:45 PM

2005 E320
Originally Posted by MBenzNL
The 2004 (and up) US spec comand does not show W211 ECE in the Model Menu because the unit is not able to perform as an ECE model a it is not able to play DVDs (no matter how often you press 3-5-7 or how long you switch of the car)...

greetingz,
Darn!

Is there any other trick accessable from this menu that you are aware of, besides have the amg logo come up when you set the model to amg.

thanks.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:20 PM

Originally Posted by mastermb
For all unlike owners of W211
US Head Unit with RDA, MP3 and DVD + TV in motion
(exchange)
$1200
OK, tell more.
Old 09-27-2004, 03:26 PM

Sounds like a deal. I'll check it out. But, I hope it is the other way around: You send the "ready to use" unit, then I'll send the "unlike" HU (I suppose by that you mean my existing HU).
Old 09-29-2004, 01:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2010 RRS ; BMW K1200R; 14 E350 ; 14 RRS on order
Do you guys mean this one?

http://mbdoctor.com/shop/product_inf...89b21117be33e0

the mbdoctor site claims to have some of these issues fixed. i wonder if he's got a software interface and he's just making bank on modding existing head units. Man if only I knew how to do that. So if anyone tries this let me know. i am one of the unfortunate 04s.

Last edited by TREZ63; 09-29-2004 at 01:11 AM. Reason: didn't put in the body
Old 09-29-2004, 01:47 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by trezaei
i wonder if he's got a software interface and he's just making bank on modding existing head units. Man if only I knew how to do that. So if anyone tries this let me know. i am one of the unfortunate 04s.
said it before and will say it again...04 and up W211 US spec comands are NOT able to play DVDs...and there is no software change available that is advanced enough to compensate the lack of hardware to play DVDs in a US spec 04 and up US spec W211 HU...

greetingz,
Old 09-29-2004, 02:06 PM

MBenzNL did perfect review

Compare US and ECE HU

Old 09-29-2004, 04:58 PM

MBenz
04 w211, Can it play MP3? I just care with MP3 and doesn't care at all with the DVD features... let me know if it can play Mp3.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:13 PM

W211 US vertion play MP3.
Old 09-29-2004, 05:36 PM

MBenz
mastermb:

Mine is W211 US 2004. Do I need special disc or a specific way to burn the MP3 file into a CD? Can we play the MP3 in CD0 or CD changers? I know that W211 US 2003 can play DVD/MP3 because of the retrofit and they get better head unit. I've tried mine cannot play DVD, but I'm just curious if it can play MP3. 2 days ago, I insert a MP3 CD into CD0, but the songs didn't play. Please help
Old 09-29-2004, 06:31 PM

Whichever one is available (1 of 5)
I have a 2004 E500. Las night, I burned some MP3 music onto a CD disk, and tried to play in the CD0 with no success. I have not insert the disk in the CD changer slots yet. I will try tonight. Just to make sure that the CD disk is burned correctly, I inserted the CD disk back in my computer, songs started to play immediately. Anybody knows a way to play MP3 from any CD slots withoug connecting a MP3 player to the AUX port in the glove compartment?
Old 09-30-2004, 03:50 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by paulhu
I have a 2004 E500. Las night, I burned some MP3 music onto a CD disk, and tried to play in the CD0 with no success. I have not insert the disk in the CD changer slots yet. I will try tonight. Just to make sure that the CD disk is burned correctly, I inserted the CD disk back in my computer, songs started to play immediately. Anybody knows a way to play MP3 from any CD slots withoug connecting a MP3 player to the AUX port in the glove compartment?
I am certainly NOT saying your COMAND will or will not play Mp3's, but through bitter experience you MUST use the correct method of burning Mp3's onto your CD\DVD. Members here may well copy Mp3's onto a CD without a second thought and perhaps they have played perfectly.

I tried copying the Mp3's simply as 'data' files and they would NOT play in the car. They played on the computer, they played on my home entertainment centre, but after wasting 3CD's I finally copied them with Nero.

Sadly I cannot recall the actual option but a quick search on this forum will give you the correct information

'Flashback' Just remembered.
Nero Express'
'Music'
'Mp3 Disc'

If you have carried out this procedure and the COMAND still will not play them then

Good luck
John
From a damp misty morning in Torquay
Old 09-30-2004, 10:06 AM

many
you have burn them with ISO9660 , Julliet is not supported. I have the same problem with my aftermarket MP3 player.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:02 PM

'03 E320
Well I haven't browsed in here for a long time and then finally came across this beauty. I just tried it on my '03 replacement during my break and it works like a charm. Even while driving, everything is fully functional and viewable. I can't thank you enough for saving me from buying a Euro-Spec COMAND. Has any other feature been found when changing to W211-ECE?
Old 10-06-2004, 09:18 PM

This is great stuff but from what Im reading the 04 211's dont have this capability. Is that true ?

Also, what other administrative "code tricks" can I try through my command with an 04 ???
Old 10-13-2004, 10:30 AM

Originally Posted by wgee070478
Well I haven't browsed in here for a long time and then finally came across this beauty. I just tried it on my '03 replacement during my break and it works like a charm. Even while driving, everything is fully functional and viewable. I can't thank you enough for saving me from buying a Euro-Spec COMAND. Has any other feature been found when changing to W211-ECE?
DVD + MP3 + RDS
Old 10-13-2004, 12:16 PM

'03 E320
Originally Posted by mastermb
DVD + MP3 + RDS

I don't know if I get RDS out here on the west coast in northern cali but that's cool to know I have the capability. Also, regarding MP3, don't we have to upgrade the firmware in order for MP3 playback or should it already be included? Thanks for helping me out mastermb!
Old 10-14-2004, 08:50 AM

if u have W211-ECE , mp3 running clear
Old 10-16-2004, 03:21 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
2016 AMG C63 S
Holy Cow!!! I have not been on this board enough!!! I just ran across this "357" trick and it worked on my 2004 E320!!! How great is that!!!! Whoever found out about this ROCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: Dvd In Motion.. In Usa!!! (stock E500)