E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E280 can bus problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 02-14-2022, 10:02 AM

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
2006 E280
Got used door modules installed today. Really easy and quick to do. Now they all communicate with the scanner, except the drivers door module is kind of locked. Nothing works. No window winder, turn signal on mirror... Tried to erase the fault codes, failed on that. Passenger side works just fine. Rear door windows don't work as they are locked on the drivers door. There is a current code about overvoltage, thought that can't be right, but there is overvoltage:

Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, stays the same 16.4 volts. Is there anything I can do to that module, or just get another one?
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (02-14-2022)
Old 02-14-2022, 10:08 AM

2006 E280
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
yes, you can expect a serial bus control, likely LIN to work the wiper module.

Post a pic of the inside board... may be I can spot the failure for ya.

LOL: I was wondering what is not on a module on these cars ???
The parking brake but even now they are EPB !

✌️
No need to pull the cover, it's as the rest of the modules I've opened, fried IC circuit. Was going to check the part number from it, but as I peeked under the cowl, it seems that I need to pull the whole assembly out. Some other day, didn't have time for it today.

But yeah, didn't realize when I bought that car, that there is no single switch that directly operates something, everything goes through a module of some sort.
Old 02-14-2022, 11:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,247 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
16VDC "high voltage".... bad ref?

Originally Posted by Heguli
Got used door modules installed today. Really easy and quick to do. Now they all communicate with the scanner, except the drivers door module is kind of locked. Nothing works. No window winder, turn signal on mirror... Tried to erase the fault codes, failed on that. Passenger side works just fine. Rear door windows don't work as they are locked on the drivers door. There is a current code about overvoltage, thought that can't be right, but there is overvoltage:

Doesn't matter if the engine is running or not, stays the same 16.4 volts. Is there anything I can do to that module, or just get another one?
Congrats on all these great progress lately!!

About your "16VDC/high-voltage" error with unresponsive DDCU....
Check the integrity of your grounding point under load condition (ie. window motor actuated)

Make sure GND Reference does not go floating or the skinny line got toasted during primary surge event.

At that stage I'd use the car schematic to do some DC checking before considering used replacement module is also bad.

Old 02-26-2022, 05:40 AM

2006 E280
It's been so cold lately, that I haven't had much of a motivation to do anything whit my car. But yesterday it was slightly warmer, so I made some work with it. Didn't find any problems with the wiring, but I did manage to erase the codes, but the overvoltage code came right back. I did notice, that when the engine was running, on/off ratio circuit 58d percentage was fluctuating between the 92 and 93 percent. What this radio circuit is?

Last edited by Heguli; 02-27-2022 at 06:30 AM.
Old 02-26-2022, 10:27 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

divide to conquer...

It's been so cold lately, that I haven't had much of a motivation to do anything whit my car.
I did notice, that when the engine was running, on/off radio circuit 58d percentage was fluctuating between the 92 and 93 percent.
What this radio circuit is?
With Winter cold comes the best time to study your schematic within indoors comforts.

I am not sure what percentage measurement this is about:
"On/off radio circuit 58d percentage was fluctuating between the 92 and 93 percent."

Pwr surge troubleshooting:
- Try to proceed by elimination by tracing/validating as many branches as you can:
  • Start at battery distribution to SAM's
  • then from SAM into switched circuits
  • then modules themselves

- Once you have tested power supply at the module, then scan ODB2 to map everything good vs missing...

- Make lists or whatever you see fit to organise forward activities.
No right or wrong when discovering, just good coverage delivers.

Two thumbs up for engine running!
👍👍

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 02-26-2022 at 10:51 AM.
Old 03-06-2022, 02:38 PM

2006 E280
I just have to admire german engineering! It was so easy to remove valvebody from the transmission, compared to GM transmissions.

Going to send that for virgin, maybe then I can drive my car.
​​
CaliBenzDriver (03-07-2022)
Old 03-06-2022, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

goood catch...

sensors coated with fine magnetised sludge 😜

The magnetic sensors on the conductor assembly are known to go bad regularly... Are you getting weird codes related to "shaft speed" error?

I am sure you've heard about the oil-in-harness killing ECU... this Siemens TCU spends its worklife immersed in hot ATF pulsing valvebody solenoids - Go figure what they were thinking

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 03-06-2022 at 03:52 PM.
Old 03-06-2022, 03:46 PM

2006 E280

sensors coated with fine magnetised sludge 😜

The magnetic sensors on these conductor assembly are known to go bad regularly... Are you getting weird codes related to "shaft speed" error?
Nope, just this:

Got the instrument cluster and the steering column module, now it's working just a little bit more. But still, can't drive it. Shifter does work, and also the transmission module seems to be working, but it won't engage gears.
There is one active code, P0513. "The CAN signal for start enable sent to the drive authorization system by transmission control is missing or invalid" Short explanation for that code in scanner code list was "Wrong key for the car".
One other module also had same kind of code, "Invalid drive authorization data", just can't remember which module it was.
Anyway, what should I do next to get that thing moving?
​​​
Old 03-06-2022, 04:05 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

You'll need to get your "drive authorization" system working again!

Many modules work together across the bus to enable driveability.
  1. Keyfob
  2. Ignition switch
  3. Steering Column Lock (bypass it?)
  4. (keylessG)
  5. ECU/TCU
The stack of modules needs to get married to your car VIN to chat with each other about matching your Keyfob.... Xentry is the tool!
Old 03-07-2022, 02:25 AM

2006 E280
Luckily I don't have keyless go (or SBC brakes), little less problematic parts.
But yeah, I was going to take my car to dealer for programing, but they told me that since I have the 7G transmission, what they can do is to replace the TCM and program it. That, and the labor and it would've been way too expensive for the car that age and price range.
But then I knew what's the issue with the no drive condition, and after little googling around I found couple of places that suggested to virgin the TCM so it could be paired with the EIS/ELV/ECU from the donor, that are currently on my car and working.
Old 03-07-2022, 02:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

👍👍

Luckily I don't have keyless go (or SBC brakes), little less problematic parts.
But yeah, I was going to take my car to dealer for programing, but they told me that since I have the 7G transmission, what they can do is to replace the TCM and program it. That, and the labor and it would've been way too expensive for the car that age and price range.
But then I knew what's the issue with the no drive condition, and after little googling around I found couple of places that suggested to virgin the TCM so it could be paired with the EIS/ELV/ECU from the donor, that are currently on my car and working.
Good job, figuring out how to crawl out of this pigeon hole.
​​​​​
👍
Old 04-18-2022, 10:53 AM

2006 E280
Send out the TCM for virgin, along with the EIS to be paired with. While I had the valve body on the table, I replaced all the o-rings (total of 20 o-rings) to the solenoids, TCM where it goes through the casing, and to that little plastic tube that sits between the casing and valvebody. That tube had o-rings that were kind of squery, which made to change them all. I did also read somewhere that solenoid o-rings might go bad over time, causing shifting issues.
The I lifted the car up, was going to use service pit but it was kind of crowded, but this turned out to be much more comfy:

Definitely going to use this method when I replace the rear brakelines as they look to be quite rusty.

Bolted the valvebody to the casing, new filter and oilpan gasket, and filled the oil with this slick setup that cost me nothing:

And it drives!! Now I have some more motivation to work with it as I don't need to tow it around.

Last edited by Heguli; 04-18-2022 at 10:55 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Heguli:
adler (11-04-2022), CaliBenzDriver (04-19-2022)
Old 04-19-2022, 10:32 AM

2006 E280
I was thinking that brake modul didn't take the hit from the lightning, after all, it did connect with the scanner. And this was the only code:

And that sensor does work. But there was abs light present, and when I went to check what might be the cause, I found this:

When I drove the car, right rear didn't show any speed, all the rest fluctuated between the 250 and 550 km/h. And there were no readings present from switches or N49, though N49 could be read from the steering wheel modul. So the brake modul is toasted.
​​​
Old 04-19-2022, 03:34 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fantastic 👍

You now have...
-- A working TCU and a well serviced tranny ready to drive many Miles.
-- The ABS module is likely toast as all wheel sensors report odd values.
-- The steering angle is reportedly bad.

With engine, tranny and brakes, you have the bulk of the work accomplished.

> Brake Controller pics:
Can you pls show us pictures on both sides of circuit board of your brake controller?
I am curious to see if the connectors are soldered or unsoldered pressed-pins - Txs!

You guessed it, the steering angle is located near the steering wheel. Actually it's hosted by Steering Control Module located between the wheel and the Instrument Cluster.

SCM controller connects many components

steering position optical encoding sensor

stalk switches sensors factory unlubed

steering press-buttons controller board

With this many electronic boards, see if you can get a deal on the complete steering column. This includes the delicate clock-spring in charge if connecting the moving steering wheel.

> HVAC Actuators:
At some point you're gonna need heat/AC, right?
​​​​​​While you have the steering column out, you will get better access to driver-side HVAC actuator modules. I believe there are 3 in each side, so 6 in total. Hard to remove from little service room.

Hvac actuator with steering removed

6x HVAC actuators (all same P/N)

electronic chip controls motor directions... RIP??

Hope this helps save your troubleshooting time.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 04-19-2022 at 03:39 PM.
Old 05-06-2022, 09:30 AM

2006 E280
yes, you can expect a serial bus control, likely LIN to work the wiper module.

Post a pic of the inside board... may be I can spot the failure for ya.

LOL: I was wondering what is not on a module on these cars ???
The parking brake but even now they are EPB !

✌️
​​​​​Slow progress with this project. Got a used wiper motor, connected it and it works! I had a fear that there is some issue with the washer as it wasn't working. But with good motor washer works too. Rear wiper does not work either, but washer does, that's whybI suspected that windshield washer maybe has it's own controller, but luckily it's controlled via wiper motor.
Rear wiper, or tailgate lock, does not work as I found another control unit inside the tailgate that controls lock and wiper motor. I should get that unit maybe next monday.
CaliBenzDriver (05-07-2022)
Old 05-07-2022, 01:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

progress: divide to conquer

While you are fixing your rear trunk.....
> the tire pressure monitoring module leaves near rear axle passenger side
> Gas tank lever sensors and gas pump.
> Gas cap lock/release
Old 05-09-2022, 12:51 PM

2006 E280
You now have...
-- A working TCU and a well serviced tranny ready to drive many Miles.
-- The ABS module is likely toast as all wheel sensors report odd values.
-- The steering angle is reportedly bad.

With engine, tranny and brakes, you have the bulk of the work accomplished.

> Brake Controller pics:
Can you pls show us pictures on both sides of circuit board of your brake controller?
I am curious to see if the connectors are soldered or unsoldered pressed-pins - Txs!

You guessed it, the steering angle is located near the steering wheel. Actually it's hosted by Steering Control Module located between the wheel and the Instrument Cluster.

SCM controller connects many components

steering position optical encoding sensor

stalk switches sensors factory unlubed

steering press-buttons controller board

With this many electronic boards, see if you can get a deal on the complete steering column. This includes the delicate clock-spring in charge if connecting the moving steering wheel.

> HVAC Actuators:
At some point you're gonna need heat/AC, right?
​​​​​​While you have the steering column out, you will get better access to driver-side HVAC actuator modules. I believe there are 3 in each side, so 6 in total. Hard to remove from little service room.

Hvac actuator with steering removed

6x HVAC actuators (all same P/N)

electronic chip controls motor directions... RIP??

Hope this helps save your troubleshooting time.
Got some parts today, and if I have time tomorrow, I'm going to plug the modules just for fun to see what happens. Tailgate module seems to be stuck in terminal abroad, but no biggie, all good if I have it on friday, as I was going to button up all the parts that are removed. Interior *should* be in state that I don't need take it apart any time soon.
ABS module is slightly bigger job, in name of bleeding the system. And as I noted earlier, there is rusted brake lines that need to be replaced, probably I'll try to do them at the same time so I don't need to bleed the system again in near future. I'll open up the ABS module when it's taken out and share some pictures.

Steering angle sensor works, I got SCM with the N49 last summer when I noticed that I didn't have any steering column functions.

Thanks, didn't know that every HVAC motor has brains, but they do work, only thing that does not work is the recirc function, there's red light flashing on the button. But there's also heat and A/C, so that's all good. I did notice something when I mounted HVAC module, just can't remember what it was. Guess I'm going to pull it just to see what's going on.
​​

Last edited by Heguli; 05-09-2022 at 12:57 PM.
Old 05-09-2022, 12:53 PM

2006 E280
While you are fixing your rear trunk.....
> the tire pressure monitoring module leaves near rear axle passenger side
> Gas tank lever sensors and gas pump.
> Gas cap lock/release
Thanks, I was wondering the TPMS module location. I assume that sedan and wagon share the same location?
Old 05-09-2022, 01:16 PM

2006 E280
Took some time to figure out how the wires were originally mounted on the cd changer housing. Good thing these are old cars, found a bunch of pictures from the interwebs for reference. Had to take the whole thing apart to get access for the control panel screws, and I did that few months ago. Did not take any pictures... Still missing one plastic bracket and couple of scews.
​​​​​​

Changer might be toast as all the modules have been. In that case I just dump the changer, not fan of the cd's in the car anyway, and I was going to go with Android before all this happened. Might modify the housing for secret comparment for wallet or something.

Last edited by Heguli; 05-09-2022 at 01:22 PM.
CaliBenzDriver (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 01:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

TPMS & HVAC...

Thanks, I was wondering the TPMS module location. I assume that sedan and wagon share the same location?
> TPMS module:
I can't seem to locate the pictures I took of the mounting location. It's over rear passenger side axle, need to remove that wheel to gain access...
here is my module for size reference.

well built TPMS Module

> HVAC air inlet:
As for your HVAC recirculation control, look at the end of the dashboard all the way up: that's where the fresh-air flap actuator module works.
You'll need to remove gl9ve box and work upside down for that gem: easy to pop but hard to align back-in!
(noted M2/5 in the following diagram)

reference HVAC system 5x actuator modules

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 05-09-2022 at 01:58 PM.
Heguli (05-09-2022)
Old 05-09-2022, 02:57 PM

2006 E280
Thank you! These are secondary issues atm, but it's good to know where to look for them.
Old 05-09-2022, 03:58 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

you're welcome!

Thank you! These are secondary issues atm, but it's good to know where to look for them.
I came across this W211 diagram of all your modules.

big picture of networked modules

Hope this map helps track your victories

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 05-09-2022 at 04:00 PM.
darka7 (03-12-2023)
Old 05-09-2022, 04:02 PM

2006 E280
I came across this W211 diagram of all your modules.

big picture of networked modules

Hope this map helps track your victories
Thanks, but I already had that, got it from bbirdwell last July.
Old 05-15-2022, 10:31 AM

2006 E280

Solved this. Got another used module, plugged it in and everything works! Like I suspected, other one was kind of locked and iCarsoft at least could not erase the code so the module would work correctly.
But anyway, now all the doors work, cetral lock etc, and tailgate opens from the drivers door, but doesn't close from the button at the tailgate. There was issues prior the ligthning, I had to push the button repeatedly and sometimes even that didn't work. Well, found the issue:

Some water damage. Tried to clean that up, but still doesn't work. Need to take a closer look that there is a continuity from the wiring harness to the circuit board.
Old 08-30-2022, 04:06 PM

2006 E280
Whole summer went by, and I didn't do much about anything to my car. Except after the ABS module change I had to bleed the brakes. And doing that, I blew the right rear brake line!! I knew they were in bad shape, but didn't realize that they were that bad! Luckily it happened now, but really didn't want that mess to be sorted just at the moment when there's lot more to figure out. So it kind of just sat for about two months. I did fix the brake lines (left rear was as bad as the right), bled them, and now I have almost good brakes (some air still trapped in there).
But, there's still the same issue as before, different module didn't change anything. Now I'm wondering that is there some other module that I haven't noticed. Older W211's had a ABS module next to a front SAM, and ABS pump was a separate unit. My car has nothing else than a front SAM in the left rear corner of the engine bay.
I found out something weird, though. When the car is standing still, and I'm reading the speed sensors, notice the front leftt sensor. Shifter on park:

Shifter in reverse:

Shifter in neutral:

And shifter in drive:

Why does the sensor reading change in relation to the shifter position? Transmission module, neither shifter module has no codes, and both are working as should.

I would really like to get the wiring diagram for the speed sensors, so I can measure them, just to rule out parts that work. I found couple diagrams from the interwebs, but they didn't apply to my car. Vin is WDB2112201A993821

Last edited by Heguli; 08-30-2022 at 04:30 PM.

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 E280 can bus problem