E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2006 E280 can bus problem

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 07-16-2021, 01:35 PM

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
2006 E280
2006 E280 electrical issues

Hello all! I was searching for help with my car, and this forum looks to be quite active so I decided to join.
I bought my first Mercedes (S211 E280 Avantgarde) on last January. Very nice car to drive, and OM642 has good power. Overall very solid vehicle, just a couple of small issues.

But the real issue, that paralyzed my car, literally strike two months ago! There was a thunder storm, and lightning decided to hit the tree next to my house. Unfortunately, my car was quite close to it, and lightning went inside to the car through the parktronic sensor. Basically killing the whole electrical system. All the fuses are good, only one that blew up was the parktronic fuse, there is power on all of the fuse boxes. Took it to the shop that is specialized to Mercedes, verdict; not much they could do because they couldn't get the computer connect to the system. Or they could, but it would cost so much that it wouldn't be reasonable on a car of that age. And because the insurance won't cover repairing the damage, nor they can't write the car off, I decided to tackle this myself since I know something about car electrics, though Mercedes is not familiar to me. Yet.

What I've found out so far: Parktronic module was blown (naturally, that's where the lightning went), also the rear SAM had gotten some damage which I figured when I read about issues whit the failed SAM. So I made an autopsy to it, and fair enough, there were some exploded components. After some more searching, I found that comfort module at the passenger footwell had a blown component. Airmatic module next to it looked to be OK, at least nothing had exploded.

I've already replaced the rear SAM with used one. Also replaced the EIS with used one, because I read that when you can't turn the key, it would indicate that EIS is damaged/lost program, or there is some other issues. I figured that no doubt it would be goner after seeing the other damage. Also figured that even though used EIS is not programmed to the vehicle, I could still turn the power on. But nothing. My friend has Star available, but it won't do any good if I can't turn the power on.

Is there some central can bus module, when broken nothing works?

And thread is worthless without pictures

Parktronic module:

Sensor wiring:

Rear SAM:

Comfort module:

Rear suspensions seems to have a leakage:

Lightning went through there:

And this is what's left of the sensor:

Last edited by Heguli; 07-30-2021 at 01:49 PM.
Old 07-16-2021, 03:33 PM

2006 E280
Searching interwebs, and came up with the CGW, central gateway module. Looks like it can cause all sorts of problems, I'll go and see tomorrow if there is a visible fault.
Old 07-17-2021, 01:42 PM

2006 E280
On this case, it's rather easy to check if the modules are broken. Remove it, shake it, and if you hear any rattle the module is gone.
When I removed the EIS, I did notice that there is a white box at the kick panel, but didn't pay any more attention to it. It was the gateway module, and it had some loose chips from one of the components. Just ordered used one, and also another used module to replace the broken comfort module. I hope that "new" gateway module allows some communication between the other modules. But that I'll know later.

ZGS:

You can actually read p/n from that IC-chip:

And there is a place for that chip:

Last edited by Heguli; 07-17-2021 at 01:45 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 02:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,376 Likes on 2,247 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
thunder strike!

Holly cow, you really got it bad!

Based on your pics I dont think any single module can have survived. I am not sure you'll see the end of this long repair... harness, control modules, devices!
Everything A to Z got fried - No limit.

You can replace modules and find a way to recode them with a Star controller.

That does seem a bit extreme unless your FL garage has A/C in it.

Best of luck.😭
Old 07-17-2021, 03:13 PM

2006 E280
I believe that only part of the wiring that got damaged, is the loom between the park sensors and the park module. All the other wiring I've checked, including the connectors, seem to be in good condition. Also all the fuses are good, so I think that none of the devices are bad. Radio does turn on, but since there is no can communication it shuts itself (I think that is the reason). Oh, and the clock works on the instrument panel. But, I can go only step by step, as I have no idea how many modules there are on my car. Luckily, so far I've found all the modules used, and they *should* work.

And thanks, I need all the luck with this ordeal.

Last edited by Heguli; 07-17-2021 at 03:21 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 03:28 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

good hope

Originally Posted by Heguli
I believe that only part of the wiring that got damaged, is the loom between the park sensors and the park module. All the other wiring I've checked, including the connectors, seem to be in good condition. Also all the fuses are good, so I think that none of the devices are bad. Radio does turn on, but since there is no can communication it shuts itself (I think that is the reason). Oh, and the clock works on the instrument panel. But, I can go only step by step, as I have no idea how many modules there are on my car. Luckily, so far I've found all the modules used, and they *should* work.

And thanks, I need all the luck with this ordeal.
Indeed that is some good news.

I really only know my W212, I have about 35 modules organized in like 6 or 7 separate networks, connected by the CGW Gateway.

These cars share a whole lot of commonalities and engineered defects opportunities.

You are going to graduate wizard school by the time you're all done.

Old 07-17-2021, 06:00 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 973 Likes on 757 Posts
'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Start with these. Be advised you will need to program multiple modules to your car's VIN and to match the vehicle datacard. Motor Electronics (ME), CGW, EIS, etc, etc.

mbepc.net can provide you your datacard.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
211 Networking 31 slides.pdf (2.42 MB, 2709 views)
CAN bus tutorial 66 pages.pdf (3.92 MB, 507 views)
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (07-17-2021)
Old 07-17-2021, 06:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
And one more explaining the drive authorization system (DAS). You have DAS 3.

Good luck. Because if it were me, I would have to have the car given to me for free before I would undertake to replace what could be every module in the car and perform the associated programming required to bring the modules online and working with each other. It is sometimes possible to buy from a salvage yard a matched ME, EIS, and CGW with matching key fobs all programmed to the same VIN (but not yours). That could possibly get the car starting and running but you then still have to diagnose multiple modules. Just be aware you have a serious learning curve ahead of you.
Attached Files
DAS.pdf (1.40 MB, 244 views)

Last edited by bbirdwell; 07-17-2021 at 06:16 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 06:48 PM

2006 E280
Originally Posted by bbirdwell

Good luck. Because if it were me, I would have to have the car given to me for free before I would undertake to replace what could be every module in the car and perform the associated programming required to bring the modules online and working with each other. It is sometimes possible to buy from a salvage yard a matched ME, EIS, and CGW with matching key fobs all programmed to the same VIN (but not yours). That could possibly get the car starting and running but you then still have to diagnose multiple modules. Just be aware you have a serious learning curve ahead of you.
Thank you very much!! Those documents will help a lot! I'm aware that this will not be an easy task by any means, but I'm curious to learn and see if I can get that car working again.
Old 07-17-2021, 08:41 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

flipped around VIN Transplant....

Originally Posted by bbirdwell

In this particular car, we're dealing with a heart transplant of all major modules.... wouldn't it be faster to recycle ALL the core modules from a junkyard match then only change VIN on a few remaining survivors.

Make a bundle deal with a good junyard instead of piece meal.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 07-17-2021 at 09:04 PM.
Old 07-17-2021, 09:51 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

'99 and '05 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
In this particular car, we're dealing with a heart transplant of all major modules.... wouldn't it be faster to recycle ALL the core modules from a junkyard match then only change VIN on a few remaining survivors.

Make a bundle deal with a good junyard instead of piece meal.
This is actually a very good idea. Find a totalled W211 (NOT flood damaged!), purchase all modules, and then do the old "plug and play" in the current car. A most excellent idea!
Old 07-25-2021, 01:04 PM

2006 E280
I've tried to search correct vehicle, and so far found two 2007 with OM642, but haven't asked any specifics yet.

I got the passenger side SAM, and ZGS/CGW... and nothing. Then I took my multimeter and thought to check that I have power to the passenger SAM. Nope, nothing. Why, all the fuses are good? Followed cable to here:

and realized that all the fuses are missing!! When it was at the dealer, they've taken the fuses out. Took me a minute to find them under the carpet, but didn't change anything after I plugged them in.

There is this box next to a ZGS/CGW:

And there's a bunch of resistors, which are all good (60 Ohms):

Made me think that maybe the CAN bus is not screwed, but the wake up is. Anyway, couldn't do much about it at the moment, so just for sh*its and giggles I decided to override relays on a front SAM. Built this switch setup to connect relay pins 30 and 87 (took the picture when I had it wired to the 15 and 15R):

First I tried what happens with the chassis relay, and lo and behold, rear suspension started to rise!! And it even stopped at the correct height!

Then I tried engine relay, and engine made the normal before start sounds when the car was still in operating condition. A few seconds later, the cooling fan went off.

After that, I tried the 15 relays, and got this:

At least the cluster works. Also the front seats (and pneumatic pump), headlights and rear lights work.

I took out the front SAM, as I suspected it being broken. And it is:

It was really easy to dismantle, just unscrew 5 screws and pull the unit apart:

Unlike the rear SAM, which was a pain! There is like 4 layers of contact strips, which are soldered to the board so I had to use some force to get the cover off. Didn't matter though as I knew the unit was gone:

Last edited by Heguli; 07-25-2021 at 01:13 PM.
CaliBenzDriver (08-12-2021)
Old 07-25-2021, 01:10 PM

2006 E280
Next I have to pull fuses as there is a 2.4 amperage draw somewhere. For a last minute job I did pull some fuses and got it down to 1.4, but ran out of time so I'll continue with that later.
Old 07-30-2021, 02:08 PM

2006 E280
Pulling the fuses didn't reveal any major problems, just several different devices which I narrowed down. Didn't realize that when I opened the doors, I'd have to wait a few minutes to canbus to rest, so there was some 0.40 amp draw.

Got the front SAM today, no change. Also bought the iCarsoft MB V2.0 scanner, makes diagnosing the car so much easier! I wasn't sure about the EIS being broken or not, but now I know, it's toasted. Replaced it with the other EIS, and now I could connect to it and read all the information from it. Also got the connection to all the SAM's. What other modules I should be able to connect when the key is on the 0 position?

I thought that if I have a working EIS and key that is programmed to it, I should be able to turn the power on. Is it so that if EIS sees that ESL is not programmed to EIS, it won't allow power to be turned on?
Old 07-30-2021, 04:47 PM

2006 E280
Yeah, EIS needs to know where it is before allowing the key to be turned. Damn! I was hoping that I could see what other modules are bad, before making any big decisions.
I found one car with correct engine, so I might be able to get all the needed parts from it.

Old 08-02-2021, 02:12 PM

2006 E280
So far no luck with finding the correct donor car. Found couple -07's, but both were missing engine and ECU. Also found an already dismantled -05, but not sure how the older ECU works with my car? This is my current: A6421508478 Bosch 0281013721, and this is available: A6421505179 Bosch 0281012406.
Old 08-12-2021, 03:04 PM

2006 E280
So, I got a "new" engine ECU, ELV and EZS. Got the engine running, but the transmission didn't work. Only active code was that there is no CAN communication with the N80. ESP was also looking for N80.
And even though I got the instrument cluster running, scanner can't find it. So, I need to search for more parts.
CaliBenzDriver (08-12-2021)
Old 08-19-2021, 04:25 PM

2006 E280
Got the instrument cluster and the steering column module, now it's working just a little bit more. But still, can't drive it. Shifter does work, and also the transmission module seems to be working, but it won't engage gears.
There is one active code, P0513. "The CAN signal for start enable sent to the drive authorization system by transmission control is missing or invalid" Short explanation for that code in scanner code list was "Wrong key for the car".
One other module also had same kind of code, "Invalid drive authorization data", just can't remember which module it was.
Anyway, what should I do next to get that thing moving?
Old 08-19-2021, 04:40 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

BenzNinja

You need a working Xentry OpenShell and a C4 interface to code your modules so they get to work together. Ballpark cost I believe around $1k... or find a local indy shop that will do all the coding for ya through the DLC plug...
Old 08-22-2021, 10:55 AM

2006 E280
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
You need a working Xentry OpenShell and a C4 interface to code your modules so they get to work together. Ballpark cost I believe around $1k... or find a local indy shop that will do all the coding for ya through the DLC plug...
Thank you. I've found couple shops that can do needed coding, though they are quite far, but I think that I'll change the rest of the dead modules, and take my car to the shop for coding.
Old 10-13-2021, 04:32 PM

2006 E280
This has been in back burner for some time. Too much other things to do. But I finally managed to find a shop that probably can program the needed units so that I can drive my car. Just one issue... rear suspension has a leak, so it sits very close to ground and that's problem because I can't get it to the trailer. I'm going to get a new (used) suspension control unit when the car is driveable, before that I'm not going to throw any money to it. I get the compressor running, but I need to get the valves working so the air gets to struts. I need a wiring diagram, or control module pinout to override the module. Module is A 251 545 00 16. So far google has failed me.
I bought a cheap WIS from ebay, but having some difficulties to get it working...
Old 11-30-2021, 12:29 PM

2006 E280
So far hardest part to find was the roof panel with correct buttons and color. Got one, but it has two extra buttons. Wondering their purpose, google didn't help, but just a wild guess; are those related to a alarm system? Left one if the vehicle is being towed and right one if a dog for example is left in the car, you can disable indoor radar or similar?

Old 11-30-2021, 12:46 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto
Correct, disables tow away & interior motion sensor alarm.
Heguli (11-30-2021)
Old 01-28-2022, 03:15 AM

2006 E280
Does the wiper motor has built-in control unit?
Old 01-28-2022, 04:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Wiper module...

yes, you can expect a serial bus control, likely LIN to work the wiper module.

Post a pic of the inside board... may be I can spot the failure for ya.

LOL: I was wondering what is not on a module on these cars ???
The parking brake but even now they are EPB !

✌️
Heguli (01-28-2022)

You have already rated this thread Rating: Thread Rating: 0 votes,  average.

Quick Reply: 2006 E280 can bus problem