E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

E63 W211 Front Left Suspension Rattle

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-15-2021, 08:55 AM

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts
2009 E63 AMG W211
E63 W211 Front Left Suspension Rattle

My W211 E63 developed a noise that's making me crazy after a 2,000km trip on roads which in certain parts were filled with potholes (I know, I should have flown).

After coming back from the trip, I took it to my trusted indie garage and we have little by little replaced every single thing we saw showed any signs of being worn within the front suspension. That includes:

* Inner Ball Joint L/R
* Outer body Ball Joint L/R
* Steering rack Ball Joint L/R
* Brand new lower control arm L/R

However, the noise is still there, it's exactly the same.

It can only be heard while driving, and specially when going through potholes. When going through potholes it can be heard 100% of the time regardless of the speed. When going through bumps it can only be heard 50% of the times or so.

I have attached a video I took today while driving back home.

Indie has told me, that we should now check the Upper Control Arm - and if that's fine it could very well be something inside the AirMatic Strut (even though it doesn't leak air at all).

I would be very thankful if anyone had any insight on this.

Cheers.

PS: I can't take it to the dealer, as my car is imported from Japan, and in my country the Merc dealer won't even look at imported cars (if not imported by them).
PS2: Wheel bearing is fine as well.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
1634295759144956.avi (4.70 MB, 78 views)

Last edited by ctxa; 10-15-2021 at 09:00 AM.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 173 Likes on 124 Posts
2018 GLC300 4Matic; 2005 C55; 2003 360 Modena
I had the similar challenge on my 2006 E350. It was the left dashboard vent. Not kidding. Both left and right are prone to failure - the vent structure disintegrates and in my case - rattled.
Old 10-15-2021, 02:21 PM

2009 E63 AMG W211
Originally Posted by kjb55
I had the similar challenge on my 2006 E350. It was the left dashboard vent. Not kidding. Both left and right are prone to failure - the vent structure disintegrates and in my case - rattled.

You mean this thing?

The following users liked this post:
kjb55 (10-16-2021)
Old 10-15-2021, 03:14 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1,566 Likes on 983 Posts
2008 E350 (W211 @170K), 2012 ML350 (W166 @119K), 2014 E350 Sport (W212 @96K), 2015 ML350 (W166 @92K)
Originally Posted by ctxa
You mean this thing?

Look in the back of the vent, if someone forced it in any direction the connection snaps/break in the back and it may rattle. In my case, I could not keep it in a fixed position. I glued the broken parts (lucky it was easy) and put it back. Working like new
Old 10-16-2021, 05:23 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 506 Likes on 340 Posts
1983 Nissan Shltbox
Uh, yeah, a dash vent, right. Those guys are smoking crack. That's pretty much 90% of the response you get anywhere on this forum.

That's definitely a suspension component, a loose exhaust component, or drivetrain mount (see: engine/tranny mount), etc..

But who the hell knows better than you, who has physical access to the car. Stop being lazy, get it up in the air, get under it and start inspecting. Let us know when you figured it out.
ctxa (10-16-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 07:03 AM

2009 E63 AMG W211
Originally Posted by Senecat
Uh, yeah, a dash vent, right. Those guys are smoking crack. That's pretty much 90% of the response you get anywhere on this forum.

That's definitely a suspension component, a loose exhaust component, or drivetrain mount (see: engine/tranny mount), etc..

But who the hell knows better than you, who has physical access to the car. Stop being lazy, get it up in the air, get under it and start inspecting. Let us know when you figured it out.
I like your post, you are very right, lol.

Regarding the car, I've already had it in the air, checked the whole suspension with a pry bar, and I replaced every single thing which had more play than it should, as well as every bushing whose rubber looked iffy.... Put it all back, torqued to spec. The noise is still there.

The only things left to change in the suspension at this point are, the bushings of the wishbone and the AirMatic unit. Mind you, that the bushings of the wishbone have no play and the rubber looks fine, so I highly doubt they're the cause of the noise.

Engine / tranny mounts they were replaced 5K kilometers ago, and they look visibly brand new pretty much.

I can't see anything loose within the exhaust system.
Drjamil (12-10-2021)
Old 10-16-2021, 07:53 PM

Received 62 Likes on 55 Posts
Have you checked the rubber bushing that is attached to the stabilizer bar? When new, it is bonded to the bar. But over time, it breaks/deteriorates and can cause suspension sounds when going over bumps. It is easy to check if you can get the car lifted off the ground. Remove the stabilizer bar bushing brackets and inspect the rubber bushing.
ctxa (10-19-2021)
Old 10-19-2021, 06:14 AM

2009 E63 AMG W211
Originally Posted by F1Fan
Have you checked the rubber bushing that is attached to the stabilizer bar? When new, it is bonded to the bar. But over time, it breaks/deteriorates and can cause suspension sounds when going over bumps. It is easy to check if you can get the car lifted off the ground. Remove the stabilizer bar bushing brackets and inspect the rubber bushing.
I fixed the issue.

It was so obvious, right in front of me, yet I overlooked it.

You were the closest one though.

It wasn't the sway bar rubber bushing, but rather the sway bar link on the left side (the one which attaches to the lower control arm - which I had replaced a few days ago the whole control arm and I failed to realize the link was broken).

This is the piece I had to replace. Working like new now.

Thanks a lot!!! You saved my day, that noise was making me completely crazy.

Off-topic: Judging by your username, I think it's gonna be fun this weekend :P Max or Lewis?

Last edited by ctxa; 10-19-2021 at 06:16 AM.
The following 3 users liked this post by ctxa:
juanmor40 (10-19-2021), robbieas (11-01-2021), Senecat (10-19-2021)
Old 02-24-2022, 04:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2011 E63
W211 OEM struts

Since this was brought up on the thread, thought it was worth mentioning that OEMTRADERSINTL has a store on eBay with original... I mean Mercedes original... E63 W211 struts (not P30) for ~$399/piece. I bought both fronts for mine (one at the $499 price) and got it and badgered the dude because the Mercedes sticker was missing. I'm not saying anyone should trust me, but what I am saying is I emailed alot with this guy that these could be frauds (that even he may not know they're counterfeit, etc) and the dude emails back with a pic of the warehouse and these struts in Mercedes boxes (pic attached). No one is going to this level of detail to pass something off as a fake. On top of that, I've opened mine and I TRIED to find anything that would give me an indication these aren't legit, and I couldn't. Point is, these are Bilstein struts for half the price. Sorry to hijack the thread, and no I'm not sponsored or full of ****. In fact, I paid the $125 higher price so I should be mad. But I'm fairly certain what this guy has on his shelves may be the last original Mercedes W211 E63 front struts in existence. FYI I was on Rockauto with 2 Bilstein new ones in my cart for ~$1,450 and thought I'd just take a quick look at the web before buying and found this dude.
Old 11-15-2022, 12:37 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E320
Omg I'm having the EXACT same issue.

I fixed the issue.

It was so obvious, right in front of me, yet I overlooked it.

You were the closest one though.

It wasn't the sway bar rubber bushing, but rather the sway bar link on the left side (the one which attaches to the lower control arm - which I had replaced a few days ago the whole control arm and I failed to realize the link was broken).

This is the piece I had to replace. Working like new now.

Thanks a lot!!! You saved my day, that noise was making me completely crazy.

Off-topic: Judging by your username, I think it's gonna be fun this weekend :P Max or Lewis?

This is the exact same issue I'm having on my 03 W211 E320. Everything is new I mean everything including struts engine tranny mount tie rods lower ball joints except this link. It still rattles. Sounds like a strut mount so I replaced the struts. Still there. I didn't have the sway bar link replaced though because my mechanic said they are fine 🙄 I'll give it a shot. Driving me insane. Thanks for the post! Oh do you know if it would need an alignment again?

Last edited by Maxx Benzz; 11-15-2022 at 12:40 PM.
Old 11-15-2022, 01:17 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,435 Likes on 3,152 Posts
'71 Pinto

Attached Files
File Type: pdf
Parts_Information.pdf (67.6 KB, 31 views)
File Type: pdf
Stabilizer bar.pdf (1.76 MB, 33 views)
Old 11-15-2022, 01:38 PM

E320
Originally Posted by konigstiger
Thank you!
Old 11-15-2022, 02:19 PM

2009 E63 AMG W211
Originally Posted by Maxx Benzz
Thank you!

Please keep in mind that you do not need to replace the stabilizer bar. You just need to replace the link that connects it to your suspension.

This sounds like a broken strut and even gives you the feeling that the tire is loose. It drove me crazy too.

PS: you do not need an alignment
Old 11-15-2022, 02:32 PM

E320
Please keep in mind that you do not need to replace the stabilizer bar. You just need to replace the link that connects it to your suspension.

This sounds like a broken strut and even gives you the feeling that the tire is loose. It drove me crazy too.

PS: you do not need an alignment
Yeah for sure. This is exactly what it feels like. Like wheel is loose and that strut mount death rattle sound. This has to be it.. Yeah I looked them up. Those links are pretty inexpensive and I'll go with the OEM ones from the dealer. Besides the entire steering rack and upper control arms, everything will be brand new now. Thanks for the help buddy!
Old 11-22-2022, 09:38 AM

E320
Yeah for sure. This is exactly what it feels like. Like wheel is loose and that strut mount death rattle sound. This has to be it.. Yeah I looked them up. Those links are pretty inexpensive and I'll go with the OEM ones from the dealer. Besides the entire steering rack and upper control arms, everything will be brand new now. Thanks for the help buddy!
Well I just replaced the two sway bar links, and the death rattle is STILL there.🤯 My mechanic showed me the rubber bushing on top of the sway bar that attaches to the frame. It looked cracked and a little smooshed. Unfortunately you have to take apart the whole front end to get to it, which I'm not doing,and that's if it's even the problem. Awesome, I get to drive around with a loud banging rattle after spending close to 4k in repairs. Could this be the noise? You can hear this noise from the driver and passenger seat. This would make sense I guess

Last edited by Maxx Benzz; 11-22-2022 at 09:42 AM.
Old 11-22-2022, 10:39 AM

2009 E63 AMG W211
Well I just replaced the two sway bar links, and the death rattle is STILL there.🤯 My mechanic showed me the rubber bushing on top of the sway bar that attaches to the frame. It looked cracked and a little smooshed. Unfortunately you have to take apart the whole front end to get to it, which I'm not doing,and that's if it's even the problem. Awesome, I get to drive around with a loud banging rattle after spending close to 4k in repairs. Could this be the noise? You can hear this noise from the driver and passenger seat. This would make sense I guess
You need to tell your mechanic to grab a pry bar, and start prying upon every suspension bushing / ball joint etc that he can see. He should have done this to the sway bar links before replacing them.

And unless you can clearly see while prying that the bushing / ball joint has excessive play because it's broken, you DO NOT need to replace it.

A cracked bushing might not need to be replaced if it's not broken yet and doesn't cause excessive play. Surely it may be good to replace it before it breaks, but it should only cause rattles and noises while fully broken.

The only way to know if only broken or just cracked, is prying with a pry bar.
Old 11-22-2022, 11:05 AM

E320
You need to tell your mechanic to grab a pry bar, and start prying upon every suspension bushing / ball joint etc that he can see. He should have done this to the sway bar links before replacing them.

And unless you can clearly see while prying that the bushing / ball joint has excessive play because it's broken, you DO NOT need to replace it.

A cracked bushing might not need to be replaced if it's not broken yet and doesn't cause excessive play. Surely it may be good to replace it before it breaks, but it should only cause rattles and noises while fully broken.

The only way to know if only broken or just cracked, is prying with a pry bar.
Yeah he did, this is why he's been replacing things in pieces. I was under the car almost every time. He's baffled too because nothing is knocking or squeaking . He just showed me the bushing on top of sway bar. He didnt get a pry bar in there though. It doesn't look like it would fit lol. Honestly even if was that bushing he said it would be like a 5 hour labor job because of the location. I trust this guy, and he's not trying to rip me off, but Im not spending another dime on this suspension. I'll just drive it into a lake when the noise becomes too torturous! 😳
Old 11-22-2022, 01:13 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
07 E320 Bluetec
Smile Into the lake she goes

I'll just drive it into a lake when the noise becomes too torturous! 😳
Thats could get expensive and nothing to do with the vehicle but may end up with a pollution charge from the county.

Old 11-23-2022, 09:04 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Presume but not sure your's is Airmatic. After 20 miles of bad road had identicle hard rattle on my E500 when doing road holes. Drive felt unstable. After replacing a number of parts it turned out to be a broken air strut. Turned out to be Arnott which was exchanged free, easy changeout.
juanmor40 (11-23-2022)