E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

W211 Shutting off while driving

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-11-2021, 05:05 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
W211
W211 Shutting off while driving

Hello everyone , I have a bit of anomaly. I own W211 OM642 cdi , everything worked fine and all, but yesterday i got esp defective for half a second while driving , couple.miles in felt like esp is stopping me from accelerating with esp defective and radio turned off, just for a second, kept.on driving. Then it got worse , tried going up the hill, a bumpy road and my car just shut off , for a second all electronics were off , then came back up and with car off I was riding in Neutral. Start up again, came back home 5min away. Then , 200meters in I hit a small bump on the road and car shut off again. Got couple codes : CAN communication errors in Engine from ECT (no message recieved) , and in ESP disturbance of CAN in Transmission. After all that, car started up fine and all, but I was scared to drive. Came back to the trunk , checked battery , charging voltage , bought a new auxilliary battery. With radio on , I slam closed trunk / boot and now car wont start (cranking with no start, like engine ignition is down) , central locking from remote doesnt work , radio didnt work while I checked it all, cranked couple of times , IC showed Display defective. Didnt check anything else yet.
So yea , can anyone throw in a guess on what to check? Can something like battery control module do that or something else in the trunk?
Maybe someone can throw in wiring diagram of ignition system, so I can see what could be the coulprit regarding all these things stopped working?
Many thanks in advance !!!
Old 12-12-2021, 11:52 PM

W211
It was the Rear SAM.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:07 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,416 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
Originally Posted by MantasP
It was the Rear SAM.
what was wrong with your rear SAM, any picture of it?
Good job on finding that! I was thinking about the prefuse main-relay.
Old 12-15-2021, 03:09 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,629 Likes on 2,416 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @60kMi
It was the Rear SAM.
what was actually wrong with your rear SAM, any picture of this beauty?
Good job on finding that!!
Personally I was thinking about the prefuse main-relay.
Old 12-15-2021, 04:02 PM

W211
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
what was actually wrong with your rear SAM, any picture of this beauty?
Good job on finding that!!
Personally I was thinking about the prefuse main-relay.
It seems my rear window wasnt sealing well, it was getting wet from above. I disassembled, cleaned all the oxidation and resoldered couple of spots. It basically was losing CAN signal intermitently. Weirdly , didnt throw a fault on it. Was kind of lucky guess, when I slammed my trunk closed and engine shut off , lol!
The following users liked this post:
CaliBenzDriver (12-15-2021)
Old 07-08-2024, 05:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
e55 2004
It seems my rear window wasnt sealing well, it was getting wet from above. I disassembled, cleaned all the oxidation and resoldered couple of spots. It basically was losing CAN signal intermitently. Weirdly , didnt throw a fault on it. Was kind of lucky guess, when I slammed my trunk closed and engine shut off , lol!
I had exactly the same problem today. After I closed the trunk lid the car turned off. and fuse 43 jumped out. What exactly did you do to the sam, could you please explain?