E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

03 E320. Spent 3800 in suspension work and m, now weird ABS or buzz vibration sound?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-29-2022, 10:58 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
E320
03 E320. Spent 3800 in suspension work and m, now weird ABS or buzz vibration sound?

Hey guys and gals. 03 E320 RWD 3.2 , 190k miles. Have a beautiful E320 and I just invested $3800 on the following. Inner and outer tie rods both sides. Lower ball joints both sides, new front struts, engine and tranny mounts, alignment and 4 all season Yokohama tires.
Now I have this issue that's wasn't there before. When I turn the wheel wide, mostly in reverse it sounds as if something electronic is turning on for about 3 seconds then off. It also makes a weird hollowing sound in reverse. Mechanic said suspension is fine as he doubled checked.
At first I thought compressor pump, but I dont have air suspension. Then I thought maybe ABS or wheel sensor or something? No ABS or ESP light on, so wtf? My mechanic is kinda stumped too. It also feels like I'm pulling a parachute now too. The car slightly vibrates on the road and doesnt glide like it used too. It doesn't seem like a tire balancing issue either. It doesn't pull on braking so doesn't seem like a stuck caliper. Maybe this is in my head cuz everything is now tight and new? The suspension is very nice and no rattles or thumps like with the old suspension. Also the ABS doesn't engage under normal braking so seems the ABS is ok, so I really don't know what is going on.
Any help would be appreciated
Old 10-29-2022, 12:58 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Originally Posted by Maxx Benzz
Hey guys and gals. 03 E320 RWD 3.2 , 190k miles. Have a beautiful E320 and I just invested $3800 on the following. Inner and outer tie rods both sides. Lower ball joints both sides, new front struts, engine and tranny mounts, alignment and 4 all season Yokohama tires.
Now I have this issue that's wasn't there before. When I turn the wheel wide, mostly in reverse it sounds as if something electronic is turning on for about 3 seconds then off. It also makes a weird hollowing sound in reverse. Mechanic said suspension is fine as he doubled checked.
At first I thought compressor pump, but I dont have air suspension. Then I thought maybe ABS or wheel sensor or something? No ABS or ESP light on, so wtf? My mechanic is kinda stumped too. It also feels like I'm pulling a parachute now too. The car slightly vibrates on the road and doesnt glide like it used too. It doesn't seem like a tire balancing issue either. It doesn't pull on braking so doesn't seem like a stuck caliper. Maybe this is in my head cuz everything is now tight and new? The suspension is very nice and no rattles or thumps like with the old suspension. Also the ABS doesn't engage under normal braking so seems the ABS is ok, so I really don't know what is going on.
Any help would be appreciated
More details needed and when you hear the buzzing and where you hear it from, are you inside the vehicle when you hear it is a vehicle stationary with the engine running? Can you attach a video of the sound? I hope your mechanic isn’t going to milk you for more created sounds.

Last edited by ot1; 10-29-2022 at 01:01 PM.
Old 10-29-2022, 03:36 PM

E320
Originally Posted by ot1
More details needed and when you hear the buzzing and where you hear it from, are you inside the vehicle when you hear it is a vehicle stationary with the engine running? Can you attach a video of the sound? I hope your mechanic isn’t going to milk you for more created sounds.
Ha yeah, he better not try and charge me for anything else cuz this didnt exist before. When I first start out from park and go real slow it sounds like something energizes in the engine bayfor about 2 seconds then it goes off. I just backed up with the wheel turned to the left and there is a loud sound like a bear cub growl. It groans until I straight the wheel out. Definitely coming from the passenger right front.
Honestly it feels like im driving with the parking brake on too. Do you know what wheel the parking brake is on?
No brake, ABS light on. Nothing. He better not tell me it's some ABS issue. Steering seems real heavy too but that may be the new tires. Car doesn't pull at all either so caliper doesn't seem frozen
Thanks !
Old 10-30-2022, 09:36 PM
ot1

Received 48 Likes on 43 Posts
2006 E320 CDI
Ha yeah, he better not try and charge me for anything else cuz this didnt exist before. When I first start out from park and go real slow it sounds like something energizes in the engine bayfor about 2 seconds then it goes off. I just backed up with the wheel turned to the left and there is a loud sound like a bear cub growl. It groans until I straight the wheel out. Definitely coming from the passenger right front.
Honestly it feels like im driving with the parking brake on too. Do you know what wheel the parking brake is on?
No brake, ABS light on. Nothing. He better not tell me it's some ABS issue. Steering seems real heavy too but that may be the new tires. Car doesn't pull at all either so caliper doesn't seem frozen
Thanks !
parking brakes are on the rear wheels. You have an SBC braking system, it energizes for a few seconds to pump up the Reservoir, makes sort of a buzzing sound. My 2006 pumps up the reservoir when I open the car door, either side, when my vehicles been sitting for hours.
BTW, Did you check the fluid level in your power steering?

try to post a clip of the sound you’re hearing.

Old 11-11-2022, 12:34 PM

E320
Originally Posted by ot1
parking brakes are on the rear wheels. You have an SBC braking system, it energizes for a few seconds to pump up the Reservoir, makes sort of a buzzing sound. My 2006 pumps up the reservoir when I open the car door, either side, when my vehicles been sitting for hours.
BTW, Did you check the fluid level in your power steering?

try to post a clip of the sound you’re hearing.
Ok I'm ready to jump off of a bridge. So now I had the front brakes and rotors changed as well. The noise is gone,! It must of been the rotors making that noise. BUT that frikin vibration is still there. My rear head rest vibrates while I'm driving. The car doesnt seem stable or planted like it used to either. Could I have a bad tire? I mean they are brand new. The vibration is there at all speeds so it doesnt seem like a wheel balance issue. 4k and I have this to deal with. It feels like there is a drag on the car like it doesnt roll like it used to.

My mechanic literally checked everything.

This SBC thing thing you mentioned just pressurizes the brakes. It doesn't pulsate or engage anything? It still sounds like runs a few seconds whenever I first start the car. I Cant even drive it on the expressway because it doesn't feel stable. 😫
Old 11-11-2022, 12:45 PM

E320
Oh and I was thinking. When I had the motor and transmission mounts replaced, could the have bent something? Like the driveshaft or u joint or something?
Old 11-12-2022, 08:32 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Suspension parts must be torqued down "under load". There's also specific tightening phases for some components prescribed as torque + additional degrees . Not saying your guy didn't follow procedure, but if not can and will produce altered handling characteristics and odd noises. Same for wheel bearing installs.
Old 11-12-2022, 08:59 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Overheated
Suspension parts must be torqued down "under load". There's also specific tightening phases for some components prescribed as torque + additional degrees . Not saying your guy didn't follow procedure, but if not can and will produce altered handling characteristics and odd noises. Same for wheel bearing installs.
Ahhh, I see. Hmmm. Which components specifically? I had tie rods inner, outer, lower ball joints , engine tranny mounts and struts. Maybe I'll tell him this but could you be more specific?
I'm going to somewhere else for another alignment first. I really feels it's out of alignment too.

The issue with my SBC could be completely unrelated to anything and just be coincidental. Buzzs every time I brake slowly. Fells as if I'm riding with brake on and pulling a parachute. I heard there is also some transmission reflash they have to do on 03 and 04s with the torque converter. What a nightmare. Hopefully this falls under that extended recall for the SBC! THANKS!

Last edited by Maxx Benzz; 11-12-2022 at 09:01 AM.
Old 11-12-2022, 09:21 AM

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts
1998 E320 Wagon, 2003 W211 E500, 2003 W211 E500, 1999 W210 E55 AMG
Ahhh, I see. Hmmm. Which components specifically? I had tie rods inner, outer, lower ball joints , engine tranny mounts and struts. Maybe I'll tell him this but could you be more specific?
MB doc states: "Only tighten nuts and bolts of chassis cornponents when vehicle is in a ready to drive condition." meaning car resting on it's wheels.This can also be done with the wheel off and the suspension loaded at a point simulating the wheel being on. For torque values search this forum, they're around. This is why I perform as much of the work as I can myself as good help is hard to find, guys on this forum notwithstanding. Good luck!
Old 11-12-2022, 09:30 AM

E320
Originally Posted by Overheated
MB doc states: "Only tighten nuts and bolts of chassis cornponents when vehicle is in a ready to drive condition." meaning car resting on it's wheels.This can also be done with the wheel off and the suspension loaded at a point simulating the wheel being on. For torque values search this forum, they're around. This is why I perform as much of the work as I can myself as good help is hard to find, guys on this forum notwithstanding. Good luck!
Ok thanks and I'll let you all know what happens. So I'm 55 not mechanically inclined and live in a condo so doing it myself isn't an option lol. The dealer probably would have done everything right the first time but would have cost me my right kidney. Oh well paid 3500 for the car so I feel once its sorted out I'll have a beautiful MB
The following users liked this post:
Overheated (11-13-2022)