E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

3-5-7 confusion and DVD head units.

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-01-2004, 01:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
06 320E CDI, Porsche 911 C2, Pontiac Montana
3-5-7 confusion and DVD head units.

I received an a few e-mail the last few days asking the same questions. Okay, we are going to go through this one more time even though I am NOT the guru on this subject.

As far as I know, for the US market, ONLY some FEW early '03’s had a DVD playing head unit (the slot in your COMAND unit) and none of the '04 had DVD head units playing ability UNLESS they were equipped with the NAVIGATION option.

The 3-5-7 trick will NOT give you what you don't have. If your car is NOT equipped with a DVD head unit, then there is NOTHING you can do other then retrofit with a EURO COMAND unit. The ONLY thing the 3-5-7 trick does is give you a different voice or model specific options.

Again......

If your car does NOT have a DVD head unit, you will not magically get it with the 3-5-7 trick.

Here is a simple test if you want to confirm if you have a DVD unit or not. Record some songs on a DVD-audio and PLAY it in your head unit. DO NOT compress them, in other words, don't turn them into mp3's so as to NOT raise the issue of compression. Just record them in their natural state. Play them. If you hear music, your in luck. One more thing, do not confuse regular cd's with DVD-audio. The "look" the same but are two different things.

If your head unit can play the DVD-audio then you have a DVD head unit. Simple as that. If you have a DVD head unit, then you should be able to play mp3’s or it’s an issue of software to change it into mp3 playing ability. If you have an ’05 then it is all built in.

As far as I know, ONLY the '05 cars have a DVD-audio head unit AND can play mp3’s right out of the showroom floor. I know because I was totally frustrated and looked into all kinds of mp3's solutions before I received my car. The technicians in MB Canada did not have a clue about what the 05's could do. ONLY after I popped in the cd AND DVD-audio, then I found out what the car can do. I received one of the FIRST CDI’s in Canada (May ‘04) and that is how I found out. As soon as I found out, I spread it through the MB boards.

In conclusion….

If you have a North American ’03 and ’04 then your only choice is to retrofit a EURO COMAND. There are one or two people who offer this. Scorchie is one of them. If not, then you have no choice but to use the some kind of mp3’s playback unit and connect through the plug found on the ROOF of your glove box. It is ANALOG connection and you will not have the same sound quality but at least you WILL have mp3 playing ability.

P.S. If I am wrong in anything I say here, someone please correct me. Perhaps someone can rewrite or add to the above in order to include ALL the Euro COMAND information.
Old 11-01-2004, 01:29 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
That's a valiant attempt... but I am not sure it is correct! I'm not sure it is incorrect, either. Neither me nor Steve are yet able to make a simple statement as to what is fitted to what cars.

It seems that there are different units out there:

1) units that only have CD drives

2) units that have DVD drives, but no video decoder hardware

3) units that have DVD drives, video decoder hardware, but no rear monitor connection

4) units that have DVD drives, video decoder hardware, and rear monitor connection

What cars have been fitted with what units? I can't say. Whenever we've tried to figure out a rule about what was fitted to what cars, someone always comes out and says "but my car doesn't fit that rule". Whether it is because the car really doesn't fit the rule, or because people don't really understand what is being said or asked, I can't say. (Remember the "but my car CAN tune presets from the steering wheel controls" statements.)

I have no way to really determine whose units have what capabilities, until it is either demonstrated or we examine it. But I believe from all the US units we've received in trade from 2003 to 2005 cars, very few have supported DVD-video (I believe the number is actually ZERO because we checked people's installed units first, and there were only a few that DID work).

-s-
Old 11-01-2004, 10:06 AM

Some problems:

Some people don't understand the difference between cd players and DVD-audio players.

Some people assume if they have a DVD-audio unit then it should automaticaly play video. Which is NOT true.

Some people assume that the 3-5-7 trick will give them what they don't have.

I think that if people start by recording some songs on a DVD disc without compressing it, then it will be the first step in determining if they have a DVD unit. Then they can deal with the issue of mp3's.
Old 11-01-2004, 12:22 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Spartan
Some problems:

Some people don't understand the difference between cd players and DVD-audio players.

Some people assume if they have a DVD-audio unit then it should automaticaly play video. Which is NOT true.

Some people assume that the 3-5-7 trick will give them what they don't have.

I think that if people start by recording some songs on a DVD disc without compressing it, then it will be the first step in determining if they have a DVD unit. Then they can deal with the issue of mp3's.
Sorry... I wasn't clear. My issue was the statement about (paraphrased) "SOME 2003 cars have DVD playing ability and some very early 2004 cars equipped with navigation have DVD playing ability". I've found it to be not quite that specific!

-s-
Old 11-10-2004, 03:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

S550
is this even possible on 2004 clks? mine is probably an early build
or should i not even waste any time with the whole 357 thing?
if its worth a try what should i try? i see all this talk about pressing 3-5-7 but i dont fully understand the process if anyone can please help me that would be great
Old 11-10-2004, 03:58 PM

Originally Posted by clkcadet
is this even possible on 2004 clks? mine is probably an early build
or should i not even waste any time with the whole 357 thing?
if its worth a try what should i try? i see all this talk about pressing 3-5-7 but i dont fully understand the process if anyone can please help me that would be great
The best thing you can do, is to try it. Waste of time? Well, it takes 6-7 seconds to check if it will work (if you can squeeze it in) . Then additional 10 seconds to change from US to ECE. The longest part is to wait from 10 minutes to 1 hour while the system initialize (with doors closed, and the key in your pocket..)
Old 11-10-2004, 04:08 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
OK, so here is my question

I have an 04 (February 2004 production). The car has the "Command" unit. It did not come from the factory with the Satelite Navigation, but I had it added.

What is the reason that you say that if it has NAV it "might" have DVD capabilities? The NAV DVD goes in the trunk and I don't think that they did anything in the COMMAND unit when they installed it.

I really appreciate you expalining this again. I did read the last time this was on a thread, but I didn't get why the NAV would make a difference in the single slot (in the dash). Is the single "CD Slot" what is used for Navigation now?

I am just curious and I am not challenginfg anyone. I am very thankful of your efforts to clarify this.

Steve Aguirre
Old 11-10-2004, 04:11 PM

Some US COMAND units comes with DVD drive in the single slot, and some with CD drives. They all have DVD drive for the Navi DVD in the trunk.

Last edited by Oslo; 11-10-2004 at 04:16 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:19 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
OK. . . I know that the trunk slot is a DVD based system, but in all that I have been reading I never saw anyhting that said that you could play DVDs from the trunk slot. Everythig stated that it went in the sigle slot in the dash.

That is then the new question; Are people playing DVDs from the trunk?? I have not read anything about that yet.

Steve
Old 11-10-2004, 04:21 PM

Originally Posted by SAguirre
OK. . . I know that the trunk slot is a DVD based system, but in all that I have been reading I never saw anyhting that said that you could play DVDs from the trunk slot. Everythig stated that it went in the sigle slot in the dash.

That is then the new question; Are people playing DVDs from the trunk?? I have not read anything about that yet.

Steve
No, it is not possible to play music DVD's or CD's from the trunk.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:27 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

OK, that is what I thought. Then this brings me back to my question. If the only way to play a DVD is to use the head unit sigle slot in the Command unit. Then why would it make any difference if the car has Sat. Nav.?

The way I see it is that whether or not the 2004 E's have NAV or not the Comman unit is till the same. Isn't it? My car had Sat. Nav. added after the purchase by the dealer, the headunit is still the same. This is why I am asking the question.

I think that having Sat. Nav. has nothing to do with whether you have a CD ROM or a DVD ROM drive in the single slot in the head unit. That is what I'm getting to.

Steve Aguirre

Last edited by SAguirre; 11-10-2004 at 04:30 PM.
Old 11-10-2004, 04:33 PM

Start reading:

http://www.mbenznl.com/
Old 11-12-2004, 10:50 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
...where will it end...

W211 US spec E-class:
2003 replacement 211s with comand come most probably with a comand that is changeable to EU spec and thus can have DVD playback.
2004 211s: unless the car was manufatured in the very beginning of 2004 thre is no chance that it will be able to play DVDs no matter how often you use 3-5-and-7s
2005 211s: no DVD playback

In order to get a US spec 2003 DVD playing comand to play MP3s it needs a software update (Oslo posted the partnumber for that dis in the past).
US spec 2004s don't play MP3s but I would think (although I defintely do not know) that MBUSA will have a software update for that.
US spec 2005s play MP3s.

CLKs have nothing...not in 2004 when the comand was CD rom based and not in 2005 with the updated DVD based comands...not in the US and not in euope!

greetingz,
Old 11-12-2004, 12:10 PM
Out Of Control!!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
w211 & w124
Thanks for clearing that up Steve.
Old 11-13-2004, 09:41 AM

Originally Posted by MBenzNL

W211 US spec E-class:
2003 replacement 211s with comand come most probably with a comand that is changeable to EU spec and thus can have DVD playback.
2004 211s: unless the car was manufatured in the very beginning of 2004 thre is no chance that it will be able to play DVDs no matter how often you use 3-5-and-7s
2005 211s: no DVD playback

Actually......what do you mean by playback?

The 2005 do have DVD-audio playback but NOT DVD-video playback. To have DVD-video playback then you need to have video capabilities on the motherboard.

For those who are not that familiar with how things work......

All the DVD unit does is read the 0's and 1's and to make sense of them, you need to have audio processing chips. Since the E's already had audio processing chips to make sense out of the cd data stream, then there is no problem to use the same processing chips for the DVD data stream. Thus the ability to play DVD-audio.

The video is a different matter. Unless there are processing chips for that, there no video and there can never be video. Theoretically you can do it with software but you need a tremendous amount of processing power to do it with software. I don't think that there is that much processing capability in the COMAND unit. Thus no DVD-video. The 3-5-7 trick will not give you what it doesn't have.

One caveat to this statement. At this point, no one has taken these units apart in order to confirm that there is no video processing chips. IF one is taken apart, and ther are no video specific ships, then it is OVER.

I am not trying to confuse people but just clearing things up.
Old 11-13-2004, 02:02 PM

Ok,

Has anyone replaced their command with a Euro Version? Who is selling these, how much are they? Who is Scorchie?How hard are they to install? I have a 2004 E320 and I am ready to take the plunge.......

Thanks,

Fran
Old 11-13-2004, 02:12 PM

MBenz
2004 W211 with Navigation:

If anyone can play CD MP3, please post me how you did it. I don't care anymore with DVD video playing capability. Watching at home with bigger screen is better. DVD play is cool but it's not necessary for me.

All I need now:
- Play MP3s that are burned on CD (dvd is better).
- 1CD is 700MB and can load tons of MP3 already. I think I will be satisfied with it.
- MP3 burned on DVD is better though , but I don't want to raise any more issues if I have DVD drive or not.

Help.
Old 11-18-2004, 10:15 PM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
some slow@$$diesels
Originally Posted by Spartan
Actually......what do you mean by playback?

The 2005 do have DVD-audio playback but NOT DVD-video playback. To have DVD-video playback then you need to have video capabilities on the motherboard.
To keep things easy I figured I would mention DVD and MP3 separate...DVD playback as in being able to watch movies on DVD.
[QUOTE=fmzipHas anyone replaced their command with a Euro Version? Who is selling these, how much are they? Who is Scorchie?How hard are they to install? I have a 2004 E320 and I am ready to take the plunge.......[/QUOTE]
Do a search on this forum...there are quite a lot of people who have had their US comand swapped for a euro comand in order to get DVD (movie) playback...Scorchie is a forum member who can be mailed at Scorchie@MBenzNL.com ...he tends to spend quite a lot of time on mercedes specific modifications.
These eurospec units can be bought from different sources... www.MBenzNL.com is one...

greetingz,
Old 11-19-2004, 03:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Is this the end of this weeks DVD, Mp3, 3 - 5 - 7 thread?

I blame solicitors, lawyers, barristers, mother-in-laws, and Arsenal Football Club for this confusion.

Why do we have to have different specification units for different countries?

Everyone calls the all singing version of the COMAND the 'Euro' spec. model, but does say, Australia, not have the same COMAND as us more 'civilised' English counterparts? I know that Australia would love to be considered 'more' European but fortunately for us they are too far away.

Bye for now, and a special g'day to my Antipedean friends
Kind regards,John
A sunny cold morning in Torquay
Old 11-19-2004, 05:50 AM

Originally Posted by glojo
Is this the end of this weeks DVD, Mp3, 3 - 5 - 7 thread?

I blame solicitors, lawyers, barristers, mother-in-laws, and Arsenal Football Club for this confusion.

Why do we have to have different specification units for different countries?

Everyone calls the all singing version of the COMAND the 'Euro' spec. model, but does say, Australia, not have the same COMAND as us more 'civilised' English counterparts? I know that Australia would love to be considered 'more' European but fortunately for us they are too far away.

Bye for now, and a special g'day to my Antipedean friends
Kind regards,John
A sunny cold morning in Torquay
LOTFLOL (Laying On The Floor Laughing Out Loud )