Something is clicking in the rear

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 10-06-2023, 01:49 AM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
E55
Something is clicking in the rear

Hello

This issue is developing slowly. There is a faint "click" sound coming from the rear, mostly right side, at odd times.
First I thought suspension but it doesn't really happen when I go over bumps, unless I roll really slow. It is more when I get into gear and accelerate or let off the gas.
Then I thought it was the rear hatch (wagon) because the gas springs were bad and the door would possibly rattle. So I swapped to new and it still happens.

So now I suspect the wossname things that I guess would be called CV joints, were this a FWD car. When I search on those I don't get any hits though, except front for AWD versions of the W211 (which mine is not) - so I begin to suspect that they either do not exist on RWD cars, or that they are called something else.

My question essentially boils down to: are there any such components in the drivetrain of RWD W211? I would guess there is some sort of joint, or the rear shafts would be strangely uncompliant to suspension movement, no?

The alternative would possibly be that the rear differential is worn, I suppose. Car has gone 113k miles.

I don't fancy the idea of turning up at the MB shop, as they gleefully charge toxic amounts of money for the most basic stuff, being the only dealers in a 100-mile radius around here. I mean, the type to add "checked washer fluid level = $30" to the service bill. So for the last years I have fixed my car myself, by throwing components at the problems until they go away. I bet they will tell me I need a new auto gearbox for $7000.
Old 10-06-2023, 05:47 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 449 Likes on 393 Posts
2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Might also be the EVAP canister, depends a little bit where you reside in the world. I believe there are 2 designs to the EVAP canister, 1 has an electrical valve (which clicks)

Its in this location:

Old 10-06-2023, 05:51 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
This is the version with the electrical valve

Old 10-06-2023, 05:54 AM

E55
Oh? Very interesting! I shall look into it. Thank you!
Old 10-06-2023, 07:55 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

2005 CLS55 AMG W219 C219
Mechanical click usually sounds a lot different than a electrical click so to speak. Electrical valve is usally more a sort of ticking sound.

Tip: invest in a proper code reader, that will pay for itself. It helps to determine if you need to throw parts at it (ask me how I know hahahha). I bought a second hand Autel MaxiPRO MP808-TS, but that might be overkill (depends on the situation)

https://mbworld.org/forums/c219/8443...ml#post8807097
Old 10-17-2023, 04:30 PM

E55
Thanks - I do actually have an iCarsoft and it is not revealing anything, It is most certainly a mechanical clicking/tapping/clunking.

My first thought was that it may be a constant velocity joint, but I was uncertain if RWD cars have those. So I asked ChatGPT and got a very elqouent answer that no - it is usually just the steering wheels that have them, in FWD and AWD cars...

So I am suspecting some wossname rubber bearing thingamajig. I think the engine needs new coushions as well, so it would not surprise me if something like that has worn old in the rear as well.
Old 06-18-2024, 05:31 PM

E55
Sorry for resurrecting an old thread, but I look at my posting history, found this, and it feels I should add some closure.

I looked beneath the car and found nothing loose. I checked the trunk for stuff that could roll around.

Eventually I swapped the rear door (wagon) gas springs (that were basically dead) for new and the sound went away.
The following users liked this post:
vagt6 (06-19-2024)