UHI installed pictures

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-05-2004, 05:11 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
UHI installed pictures

I had some requests for what the installed UHI kit looks like. Here are some pics from my car (click for big versions):

I'll take some better ones during the daytime.

-s-
Old 11-05-2004, 05:19 AM
Former Vendor of MBWorld

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Nothing MB related (sorry)
Not only UHI... also a rear monitor... Lucky you!

I like the way the phone hides in your armrest.

greetingz,

BigSis
Old 11-05-2004, 05:53 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
Originally Posted by scorchie
I had some requests for what the installed UHI kit looks like. Here are some pics from my car (click for big versions):

I'll take some better ones during the daytime.

Do you have WAP and BLUETOOTH in the SERV menu?
Regards

-s-
Old 11-05-2004, 02:46 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I think you wrote something in my quote about WAP and BT, because I didn't write that.

Yes:

-s-
Old 11-05-2004, 03:07 PM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
OK. It seems my Euro Comand. I use the bluetooth for wireless headphone, with it, you can hang and pick up the phone.
Old 11-05-2004, 03:28 PM

What is UHI? And how do I get it...........

Looks awsome..........but a few questions (well OK more then a few!)

How did you get that phone to work? Is this an aftermarket mod? If yes, where and how much was it? Does it work with the intergrated comman functions and steering wheel controls? Is it more a speaker phone or only functions with a headset?

I have been looking for a MB in car phone and am about to get the Euro comman nav/dvd installed by Steve at the end of the month.

Please let me know. Thanks.
Old 11-05-2004, 04:01 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by yyzmb
Looks awsome..........but a few questions (well OK more then a few!)

How did you get that phone to work? Is this an aftermarket mod? If yes, where and how much was it? Does it work with the intergrated comman functions and steering wheel controls? Is it more a speaker phone or only functions with a headset?

I have been looking for a MB in car phone and am about to get the Euro comman nav/dvd installed by Steve at the end of the month.

Please let me know. Thanks.
It's the complete UHI kit. Check my earlier thread for more information about it, you can also search. You can use a number of phones.

Right now, it is the preferred phone solution if you have a Euro COMAND becaues the phonebook functions with it. If you have a US COMAND, the phonebook may work or may not work depending on your software version. A software upgrade may solve this in the future.

It is a complete integrated phone and works as a handsfree system through the COMAND system with muting of the source, it also works with a privacy handset or headset.

-s-
Old 11-05-2004, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by cone
OK. It seems my Euro Comand. I use the bluetooth for wireless headphone, with it, you can hang and pick up the phone.
There is no Bluetooth in the COMAND. If you have an UHI and a BT headset, engaging the headset will mute the Radio/CD, The BT communication is between the phone and the headset. COMAND is not involved. That's all. One other thing that could worry some people with the UHI: There is no outside antenna. Very few, if any (except the Nokia 6310i I think, and perhaps Motorola) have an external antenna connector. That means radiation. Also, when the phone is covered by the top of the centre console, it will significant reduce the strength of the signal.

Scorchie: Can you fill in on this?
Old 11-05-2004, 10:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by Oslo
There is no Bluetooth in the COMAND. If you have an UHI and a BT headset, engaging the headset will mute the Radio/CD, The BT communication is between the phone and the headset. COMAND is not involved. That's all. One other thing that could worry some people with the UHI: There is no outside antenna. Very few, if any (except the Nokia 6310i I think, and perhaps Motorola) have an external antenna connector. That means radiation. Also, when the phone is covered by the top of the centre console, it will significant reduce the strength of the signal.

Scorchie: Can you fill in on this?
Yes, the Sony Ericsson's also have an antenna connection. I haven't opened the Siemens boxes yet but I believe they too may have the antenna connections.

Now, interestingly... the fixed installation phone (like you have) and the UHI both have antennas inside the car. So although it makes sense that the handset and headset connect via BT directly with the fixed installation phone, what exactly does it do with UHI? I am not sure. I have a BT headset so I will have to try it out. I am not sure if I should pair the headset with the UHI kit or with the phone... it would be so much easier with documentation.

-s-
Old 11-06-2004, 02:09 AM

Originally Posted by scorchie
Yes, the Sony Ericsson's also have an antenna connection. I haven't opened the Siemens boxes yet but I believe they too may have the antenna connections. If you have the UHI cradle, you can easely see the connector (if any) on the top of the cradle. Remember that the antenna connector is a seperate connector. It's not in the bottom plug.

Now, interestingly... the fixed installation phone (like you have) and the UHI both have antennas inside the car. So although it makes sense that the handset and headset connect via BT directly with the fixed installation phone, what exactly does it do with UHI? I am not sure. I have a BT headset so I will have to try it out. I am not sure if I should pair the headset with the UHI kit or with the phone... it would be so much easier with documentation.

-s-
I have checked the SonyEricsson, and none of the new phones has external antenna connectors. The T68 had it, but it is out of production. You can see that on the attached pics. Didn't find any on the Siemens either.

From this picture, you can clearly see that there is no antenna connector in the cradle:

Here is what it looks lik on the old Nokia cradle:

On the fixed installation in my car, the antennas are located in the left rear side window. Here you will find antennas for the remote, radio and cellular. On the sedans, they are all located in the rear window. But since there is no antenna connectors on the UHI phones, they are of little use. My phone installation is not available in the US (I’m sure you can install it… )

Last edited by Oslo; 11-06-2004 at 02:43 AM.
Old 11-06-2004, 03:24 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

I have checked the SonyEricsson, and none of the new phones has external antenna connectors. The T68 had it, but it is out of production. You can see that on the attached pics. Didn't find any on the Siemens either.

From this picture, you can clearly see that there is no antenna connector in the cradle:
Look a little closer at that picture.

And then look at this one:

http://www.mbenznl.com/products/UHI/uhi-w211-03.jpg

It's there. I had to remove the rubber plug from the back of a T616 and two T637s to plug them in.

On the fixed installation in my car, the antennas are located in the left rear side window. Here you will find antennas for the remote, radio and cellular. On the sedans, they are all located in the rear window. But since there is no antenna connectors on the UHI phones, they are of little use. My phone installation is not available in the US (I’m sure you can install it… )
The phones with no "hard" antenna connector have an inductive loop tuned to the frequencies transmitted/received by the phones. This loop ties to the antenna in the phone, and connects to the antennas in the rear of the car (in the US, antennas are located both ON the window and in the bumper).

I installed the phone installation you have in my car last night; unfortunately, it is only dual band (900/1800) and doesn't work here in the US.

-s-
Old 11-06-2004, 03:37 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Didn't find any on the Siemens either.
OK, I checked ALL the UHI cradles currently available... they ALL have antenna connectors except for two. These have inductive antenna loops:

Nokia 6220, 6230
Nokia 6100, 6610, 7250i

These have conductive antenna connectors:

Motorola V60i
Nokia 6310i
Siemens S45, ME45, C45, M50, MT50
Siemens S55, C55, M55
SonyEricsson T610, T630, US T616, T637

More info as more cradles come in!

-s-
Old 11-06-2004, 05:51 AM

2013 SL 350, ML 350 BT
There are 2 phones with external antenna plug. Nokia 6310i and Sony Ericcson t610. I have both models with both holders. The rest of the compatible phones havenīt external plug for antena, but the holder has a plate that make "inducction coil" with that plate so you can use your car antenna too.
As I know, BT is a part of the UHI system, as I told you I have a BT headset that works perfect, but the only one thing you can do is hang on and pick up. You canīt redial or mute with your BT headset.
One more thing, there are some phones that need to update software for perfect working on UHI holder, for example Nokia 6230...
Regards