E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

After SBC recall, oil leaking under car, should i worry?

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-19-2004, 08:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2004 E320 4matic, 2007 530xiT
After SBC recall, oil leaking under car, should i worry?

I got my 2004 E320 back after the SBC recall. The car was sitting in the garage for 2 days after MB dropped it off. When I moved the car today, there was a pretty big, fresh oil stain under the engine. When I called roadside assistance, they said that they would tow the car to the dealer (which is only 2 miles away, MB manhattan). I was surprised that they said to not drive the car because I can easily drop it off. The dash says "no malfunction". Is this really a big problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.

Last edited by guru; 11-19-2004 at 08:30 PM.
Old 11-19-2004, 08:38 PM
RJC
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 179 Likes on 129 Posts
I think you know why MB is having your car towed to the dealership as driving with a very low oil level could cause harm to the engine even in a mile or two. Check your oil level with the comptuer to see how low it really is.
Old 11-20-2004, 12:31 AM
Out Of Control!!

Received 4,431 Likes on 3,150 Posts
'71 Pinto
In case you’re not familiar with the procedure to check your oil (Baby Jocko post):

Last edited by konigstiger; 03-09-2007 at 03:32 PM.
Old 11-20-2004, 08:56 AM

ML-350, Maserati Quattroporte
They bleed the brakes for recall. Is it possible that MB was concerned that the leak was not oil? That would explain them not wanting you to drive. Some time many months ago someone on this forum had brake failure after a bleedind because MB service did not re-connect a hose or something like that.
Old 11-20-2004, 10:39 AM

I checked engine oil level and it was ok

I dropped the car off at the dealer. It is definitely an oil leak. Dont know what kind. Oil was not very viscous and was odorless. Waiting to see what they find.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:04 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 14 Likes on 11 Posts
E-class E300e Estate, Sprinter (stretched limo)
Originally Posted by guru
I dropped the car off at the dealer. It is definitely an oil leak. Dont know what kind. Oil was not very viscous and was odorless. Waiting to see what they find.
I think your dealer was acting in a very responsible manner. Your vehicle went in for a check of the SBC system. During this I believe they bled the brakes.

Imagine if this 'oil' had been brake fluid, or the leak was indeed oil that might have been dripping on hot parts of the engine?

If ""there was a pretty big, fresh oil stain under the engine"" I would have insisted the car be carried\towed back to the dealer. That fluid came from somewhere.

Regards,
John
Cool damp evening in Torquay
Old 11-20-2004, 11:50 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Yeah. I am sure you will find it is the brake fluid as everyone here said.
Old 11-20-2004, 06:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
I got my 2004 E320 back after the SBC recall. The car was sitting in the garage for 2 days after MB dropped it off. When I moved the car today, there was a pretty big, fresh oil stain under the engine. When I called roadside assistance, they said that they would tow the car to the dealer (which is only 2 miles away, MB manhattan). I was surprised that they said to not drive the car because I can easily drop it off. The dash says "no malfunction". Is this really a big problem? Any help would be appreciated. Thx.
It probably is brake fluid. But that raises a question: Did the Tech just let the brake fluid "pee" everywhere or wouldn't he have attached a clear hose and catch bottle while bleeding? Seems kind of "High School Autoshopish" huh? Maybe, it was spilled wheb they topped of the resivor? In any event, they should have cleaned up after themselves.
Old 11-20-2004, 09:14 PM

If it turns out to be brake fluid...

That will **** me off no end. It points to really careless and shoddy workmanship. Car was still dripping 3 days after the SBC fix and I would guess almost a cup of fluid came out over that time.
Old 11-20-2004, 11:04 PM

2003 E500, 1998 Ferrari Spider
That will **** me off no end. It points to really careless and shoddy workmanship. Car was still dripping 3 days after the SBC fix and I would guess almost a cup of fluid came out over that time.
Oh yeah, thta would **** me off. I brought my Porsche in for a 30K service about 2 years ago. when I got the car back the left front fender had gobs of grease on it. Your experience sounds similar.

Sorry you had to experience that one too.
Old 11-21-2004, 12:00 AM

Mine was leaking right after the recall was done also, but it was not oil. When the tow truck came to get it when it wouldnt start, we noticed it was leaking when he rolled it up the flat bed. It looked more clear and smelled like hydraulic fluid but not quite like brake fluid. I dont know what it was but there was a hell of a lot of fluid on my garage floor and a steady stream up his flat bed. Enough that I got out several cups of oil dry to spread out over it. Who know what it was. Not my problem anymore.
Old 11-23-2004, 03:38 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

Maybe not same experience, but it may be the transmission fluid.
I had a small leak of transmission oil, about 3 months after getting the car and apparently it was the seal of the transmission box, which did not sat properly in place.
MB changed the seal and the bottom of the Transmission box (I believe it is called "carter") under warrantee.

Two months after this repair, same problem happened, and this time they changed the seal, the bottom of transmission box, and a plug which goes into the gearbox (don’t ask me what function this plug does).

If they manipulated the bottom of your car, maybe they checked this transmission box, and eventually did not put the seal properly in place.

Just giving possible ideas.

Keep us posted.
Old 11-23-2004, 05:01 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jav
Two months after this repair, same problem happened, and this time they changed the seal, the bottom of transmission box, and a plug which goes into the gearbox (don’t ask me what function this plug does).
Just giving possible ideas. Keep us posted.
Good Morning Jav,
Nice to hear from you, sorry to hear about the problems, but hopefully they are all fixed?

I hope the weather is as nice over there as it is here in sunny Torquay

Take care,
John
A very sunny morning in Torquay
Old 11-23-2004, 05:47 AM

Jav, you are right on target!

It is transmission fluid and it was a problem with the seal, as you described. I did not get a clear answer from them as to why this happened. The car is fixed and I am going to pick it up today (and get rid of my loaner car). They gave me C240 loaner and it made me miss my car even more.....
Old 11-23-2004, 08:35 AM

Maybe mine was the trans fluid too, I dont know, but it was leaking from the pan that covered the trans, so maybe it was. Now that I think of it, I am so glad that I got rid of that car, what more could go wrong with it. What a nightmare that was. I am starting to think about not taking the European delivery one that I am scheduling for March.
Old 11-23-2004, 10:20 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

[QUOTE=glojo]
Good Morning Jav,
Nice to hear from you, sorry to hear about the problems, but hopefully they are all fixed?

/QUOTE]

Hello John,
Now it is all fixed and running smoothly. I had my share of trouble with my W211, but hopefully from now on I will just visit the shop for maintenance.

Madrid is sunny, but getting cold.
Now the sun sets at 6:00 pm so I miss the summer time where you have sun light until 9:00 pm., and when you get home you can go play with my kid to the park (those who have kids will understand).

I do not have much time, but surely I will be stoping more often through the MB forums.
Old 11-24-2004, 02:20 AM

ML 320 CDI
Lucky you John, it's been bloody awfull here in Hertfordshire.

Jav,
I presume you live in Madrid permanantly? I have an apartment in Madrid as half my family live there still. My Dads Spanish and Mums English, they live in England but all my Dad's side live in Madrid. Got to be the best city in the world, I haven't had time to go out since August when it rained! Very strange weather when I was last there. Where abouts do you live, in the City or Suburbs?

Take Care

Marcos
Old 11-24-2004, 03:48 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by marcos
Jav,
I presume you live in Madrid permanantly? I have an apartment in Madrid as half my family live there still. My Dads Spanish and Mums English, they live in England but all my Dad's side live in Madrid. Got to be the best city in the world, I haven't had time to go out since August when it rained! Very strange weather when I was last there. Where abouts do you live, in the City or Suburbs?

Take Care

Marcos
Hello Marcos, it is nice to hear you like Madrid.

I live in the city, but not the centre. I am on the north part of Madrid.
Indeed last summer we got some strange weather (must have been the global warming effect).

This leaves the subject, and goes just off-topic, but I will tell you and we can continue with PM if you want.

Actually I took my O'Levels in the UK (spent two years), and made good friends. Nowadays I sometimes stop by London for business.
Also I know that English weather can be beautiful and horrible in a matter of minutes, but anyhow, in the south where I was, it was not bad at all.

If you stop by Spain and want to have a beer just PM me before coming down. That goes to you too John.

I will be glad to hear some good English (I work in a Japanese company and here the Japanese English spoken is not so great).

Regards to all
Old 11-24-2004, 04:14 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by jav
If you stop by Spain and want to have a beer just PM me before coming down. That goes to you too John.
Regards to all
Hi Javier,
Thank you very much indeed for the very kind invitation, and indeed if you are ever over here (especially on the English Riviera ) please contact me.

I love reading these very slightly off topic posts between fellow 211 owners and hopefully the Moderators will continue doing a 'Lord Nelson'

Regards,
John
Old 11-24-2004, 04:26 AM
jav
Almost a Member!

Originally Posted by glojo
Hi Javier,
Thank you very much indeed for the very kind invitation, and indeed if you are ever over here (especially on the English Riviera ) please contact me.

I love reading these very slightly off topic posts between fellow 211 owners and hopefully the Moderators will continue doing a 'Lord Nelson'

Regards,
John
Thanks John,
Now I have another reason to visit a new place in UK.
I will surely call you if I drop by the English Riviera.