E-Class (W211) 2003-2009

2008 E320 dead

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 06-20-2024, 07:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2008 E320 Bluetec
2008 E320 dead

The car was fine, the starter broke and I replaced it, started it 3 times and the 4th I introduced the key, dash came on the went dark as if there was no battery. Hauled it home disconnected the battery and connected it next day, had light in the trunk, inserted the key, dash went on and as I turned to start it went dark again. Disconnected the battery twice and did the same. On the 4th time smoke came out of the neg cable where it attatches to the body. After that, there was a short, big spark anytime I tried to put the ground back. I disconnected the starter and the short continued, I tehn took of the alternator , the short stopped, the alternator was bad so I replaced it. Still have the short again, diconnected the alternator, no short, but still key wont work, I connect the battery and all light go on, the horn goes on and a pump on the passenger side behind the grill goes on. Any idea??
Old 06-22-2024, 01:54 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3,324 Likes on 2,210 Posts
MY'14 W212 M276 3.5NA @55kMi
Originally Posted by Landerman
The car was fine, the starter broke and I replaced it, started it 3 times and the 4th I introduced the key, dash came on the went dark as if there was no battery. Hauled it home disconnected the battery and connected it next day, had light in the trunk, inserted the key, dash went on and as I turned to start it went dark again. Disconnected the battery twice and did the same. On the 4th time smoke came out of the neg cable where it attatches to the body. After that, there was a short, big spark anytime I tried to put the ground back. I disconnected the starter and the short continued, I tehn took of the alternator , the short stopped, the alternator was bad so I replaced it. Still have the short again, diconnected the alternator, no short, but still key wont work, I connect the battery and all light go on, the horn goes on and a pump on the passenger side behind the grill goes on. Any idea??
the place where you saw spark flying ... is a bad connection.
Safely disconnect batteries while working on electrical harness.

Make sure your battery is well charged. Low voltage forces high current that damage your car with power surges.
Old 06-22-2024, 04:45 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
the place where you saw spark flying ... is a bad connection.
Safely disconnect batteries while working on electrical harness.

Make sure your battery is well charged. Low voltage forces high current that damage your car with power surges.
The battery is new and fully charged, I always disconnect it when working on the car, the big spark was on the terminal when I tried to reconnect.
Old 06-22-2024, 04:49 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

NO CRANK/NO START

The battery is new and fully charged, I always disconnect it when working on the car, the big spark was on the terminal when I tried to reconnect.
I see... so now no more bad sparky connections
New alternator installed

Then what's next?

What about the dashboard lights?

Any way you can scan that car ?
We'll need that next to understand further your MB.

Tell us more about the history of this car:
last week... last month...

Get familiar with "ESL" emulator, need scan

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-22-2024 at 04:58 AM.
Old 06-25-2024, 07:21 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Ok, found that while testing everything, I removed the battery and reinstalled it backward. That was the short circuit. I put it back correctly and viola! Engine started perfectly, but......many things didnt work, went back and checked every fuse, there were like 7 blown, I replaced them and have all stuff back but A/C blower. The A/C blower is suposed to be under the mat on the passenger side, I dissasembled as in the video, is not there, There are 3 boxes but none carry fuses. I wonder if in this model, they are some where else. Does anyone know where else to search?
Old 06-25-2024, 07:56 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Ok, found that while testing everything, I removed the battery and reinstalled it backward. That was the short circuit. I put it back correctly and viola! Engine started perfectly, but......many things didnt work, went back and checked every fuse, there were like 7 blown, I replaced them and have all stuff back but A/C blower. The A/C blower is suposed to be under the mat on the passenger side, I dissasembled as in the video, is not there, There are 3 boxes but none carry fuses. I wonder if in this model, they are some where else. Does anyone know where else to search?
Great progress!

Blower fan is located above passenger feet, not under.

Remove the under dash plastic cover.
BE CAREFUL NOT to pull on temp sensor that will cause additional A/C fault. Remove connections in order to lower plastic cover.

Last edited by CaliBenzDriver; 06-25-2024 at 07:59 PM.
Old 06-26-2024, 08:45 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by CaliBenzDriver
Great progress!

Blower fan is located above passenger feet, not under.

Remove the under dash plastic cover.
BE CAREFUL NOT to pull on temp sensor that will cause additional A/C fault. Remove connections in order to lower plastic cover.
I removed the plastic cover under the glove compartment, ni fuses there. I am looking for the 40amp fuse for the blower.
Old 06-26-2024, 09:14 AM

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
2006 E280
I removed the plastic cover under the glove compartment, ni fuses there. I am looking for the 40amp fuse for the blower.
Your post #5 was slighlty misleading. But anyway, fuses are under the footwell, check the link: https://fuse-box.info/wp-content/upl..._front_pre.jpg

Number 12 points to the fuses, blower fuse is the rightmost fuse.

Last edited by Heguli; 06-26-2024 at 09:16 AM.
The following 2 users liked this post by Heguli:
CaliBenzDriver (06-26-2024), Landerman (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:36 AM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Heguli
Your post #5 was slighlty misleading. But anyway, fuses are under the footwell, check the link: https://fuse-box.info/wp-content/upl..._front_pre.jpg

Number 12 points to the fuses, blower fuse is the rightmost fuse.
I have those pics, removed the 2 nut, case wont come out, I guess fuses are inside the one marked #12
Old 06-26-2024, 01:37 PM

Received 112 Likes on 98 Posts
2006 E280
Shouldn't need to remove anything, fuses pull up.
The following users liked this post:
Landerman (06-26-2024)
Old 06-26-2024, 09:14 PM

2008 E320 Bluetec
Originally Posted by Heguli
Shouldn't need to remove anything, fuses pull up.
didnt come out easy ,came out in pieces, so I dont really know if it was blown, put a new one and still no blower. A/c works, line is cool, only that there is no blower. Will check it all over tomorrow again