What??? No Engine Compartment Light???

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 11-21-2004, 06:49 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Build date 2-04 E500
What??? No Engine Compartment Light???

Yea I know, There's no reason to open the hood and look inside right??? (especially at night)... You don't go there to check the oil and if you want to look at the engine all your going to see there is a bunch of plastic, ehh. Or you say, "this thing runs so damned good who needs to check under the hood".... Well for the most part its true, but heard a weird noise (or at least one I've not heard before) so I opened it up in the garage (at night) and could'nt see a damned thing. Then relized there is no light. Whats up with that??? Are all automakers doing away with this feature??? Oh well, Guess I need to make sure to carry a small flashlight in the car...

B.T.W... We all know between the airmatic and SBC braking system, the car seems to be always making some kind of weird sound , but the one I heard turned out to be nothing...
Old 11-21-2004, 07:25 PM

2005 E55 AMG

You'd think it would certainly include an underhood light; in terms of practicality, it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, given the continued de-contenting of US spec cars, I'm not surprised.

Hey, I'd like one for no other reason to give props to "Florius Audija" and illuminate his sig on the AMG blower casing plaque when it's dark
Old 11-21-2004, 10:18 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
E-500
Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY
Yea I know, There's no reason to open the hood and look inside right??? (especially at night)... You don't go there to check the oil and if you want to look at the engine all your going to see there is a bunch of plastic, ehh. Or you say, "this thing runs so damned good who needs to check under the hood".... Well for the most part its true, but heard a weird noise (or at least one I've not heard before) so I opened it up in the garage (at night) and could'nt see a damned thing. Then relized there is no light. Whats up with that??? Are all automakers doing away with this feature??? Oh well, Guess I need to make sure to carry a small flashlight in the car...

B.T.W... We all know between the airmatic and SBC braking system, the car seems to be always making some kind of weird sound , but the one I heard turned out to be nothing...
Geeez HOH....all the rest of us have under hood lights. Maybe you should look some more.

btw....if you look on the glove compartment door there is a small bracket that is just right for a small flashlight. Just in case you don't find your light. :p

Last edited by etenn; 11-21-2004 at 10:21 PM.
Old 11-22-2004, 01:15 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts
2015 ML 350
...are you kidding? There used to be an underhood chandalier, but that was de-contented to upgrade the switchgear in the Chrysler 300!
Old 11-22-2004, 02:09 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Beowulf

You'd think it would certainly include an underhood light; in terms of practicality, it's a no-brainer. Unfortunately, given the continued de-contenting of US spec cars, I'm not surprised.
Decontenting? I've owned quite a few Mercedes-Benz automobiles, and I don't recall one ever having an underhood light, from a 190E to an SL.

-s-
Old 11-22-2004, 09:22 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by etenn
btw....if you look on the glove compartment door there is a small bracket that is just right for a small flashlight. Just in case you don't find your light. :p
That is for a tire pressure gauge. Although I guess you could use whatever you wanted.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:38 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R

Hey, I'd like one for no other reason to give props to "Florius Audija" and illuminate his sig on the AMG blower casing plaque when it's dark
Just FYI,

My European Mercedes that I drove while I lived in Germany did not have an under-hood light either. Don't ask me why. I would find it nice to have a light to check things like washer fluid (but now on the 211 you can't see the tank anyway). My Cadillacs had a hood light and it even had a cable that you could pull out and then roll back in. I found it quite useful since the car was a real piece of (you know what). I always needed to check something if I wanted to get to a place that was far away :-).

Steve

Trending Topics

Old 11-22-2004, 11:09 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by atssystems.com
That is for a tire pressure gauge. Although I guess you could use whatever you wanted.
A mini-mag flashlight fits PERFECTLY in those clips.
Old 11-22-2004, 11:31 AM
ATS
MBWorld Fanatic!

2004 E500 / 2001 C240
Originally Posted by levind
A mini-mag flashlight fits PERFECTLY in those clips.
That is good to know.. I might take my pressure gauge out and replace it. I guess a pen would also fit in there too.
Old 11-22-2004, 05:04 PM

W203 C240
both my w203 nor my moms w211 have under hood lights. Which seems to follow the trend since even in the past our '82 300td didnt have a light.

This would be totally useful since the other night i heard a clanking sound when my mom started her car up....its periodic, wanted to check under the hood but had to drive it under a light a real pain.

They should add a bank of led lights along both the left and right sides of the hood. I mean lEDs are super power savers, which require little room. Why not have one shooting through the wheel well for when you need to change your flat at night (and roadside is 100mi from you lol) the switches for each wheel well could be in trunk.

my long 2 CEnts
Old 11-22-2004, 06:24 PM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Mine has no under the hood lights either- Guess I will have to call the TeleAid Road service instead.....

Sure is a detail I would have liked. That and Child Lock Doors.
Old 11-22-2004, 06:32 PM

2005 E55 AMG
Originally Posted by scorchie
Decontenting? I've owned quite a few Mercedes-Benz automobiles, and I don't recall one ever having an underhood light, from a 190E to an SL.

-s-
Thanks for the heads up - the E55 is my first M-B, so I'm still trying to absorb available info. Given some of the changes so far within model year 2005, I've probably got decontenting on the brain! I still think an underhood light would be useful, although I have plenty of experience using a flashlight.
Old 11-22-2004, 07:35 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Thanks for the heads up - the E55 is my first M-B, so I'm still trying to absorb available info. Given some of the changes so far within model year 2005, I've probably got decontenting on the brain! I still think an underhood light would be useful, although I have plenty of experience using a flashlight.
I carry two flashlights in every car... a bright Surefire light with extra batteries (only lasts 20 minutes per set) and an LED flashlight that uses the same lithium batteries.

A good idea for those of us who like to poke around under the hood in the dark.

-s-
Old 11-22-2004, 09:32 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Well.... By some of the responses I take it that this is the norm. This is my first Mercedes and I did not know this was something the automaker figured we didnt' need or did not care to have... I find them quite usefull in the rare occasion I'm under the hood at night. I kinda figured since this car came with about every option we need and don't need, that there would've been a service light under the hood also... Oh well... Go figure, No biggie I'll be carrying a mini mag from here on out.....
Old 11-22-2004, 09:55 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
4 wheels
Great idea, those mini Mag lights you get from Costco or wherever from in those packages is quite handy. I have one in every car with extra batteries and bulbs. You never know when you might need it.
Old 11-22-2004, 10:52 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
04 E320 4 Matic, 95 Audi S6, 99 Carrera 4 Cabrio, 12 Fiat 500 Sport, 00 BMW R1200C 10, BMW R1200R
I find this forum quite funny since we share some interesting common things. I also have a 3 cell mag lite and a mini mag lite in each car. And I also bought them at Costco. I also have a winter survival kit and some other junk that might be useful. (On a funny note, I always carry some energy bars in the car in case I get stranded on I 70 in a storm. But I tend to eat them since I go hiking and get hungry when I get back. My cousin solved this problem by keeping dog food in his trunk. This way you will not snack on it, but if you are cold and hungry it will save you. I am contemplating it, but so far I keep on buying more energy bars/human food).

But, I am going to go out on a limb here and say that so far, out of the 6 German cars I owned, non had a light under the hood. Maybe this is just not done in German cars. My Cadillac did and I sure had to use it!

Steve

Last edited by SAguirre; 11-22-2004 at 10:56 PM.
Old 11-23-2004, 01:59 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by SAguirre
I find this forum quite funny since we share some interesting common things. I also have a 3 cell mag lite and a mini mag lite in each car. And I also bought them at Costco.
MagLites suck.

Since you all are driving Mercedes, you really should look into getting a Surefire.

-s-
Old 11-25-2004, 05:23 AM

04' E500 w/Appear. PKG, Panorama Roof
Talking A little tongue in cheek about the light thing--

Guys Guys- There is a light. It's in Harley's car, mine, etenns... etc everybodies.... IF you open the center console there is a button with a wrench... push that button down....

Soon Mercedes will send the light with a man qualified to hold the light, make grumpy small talk and attend to any minor thing you needed the light for....

See they even provide a person to hold the light, but it's there.....

Justa a grinning way to look at the oversight....
Old 11-25-2004, 04:24 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by marksatex
Guys Guys- There is a light. It's in Harley's car, mine, etenns... etc everybodies.... IF you open the center console there is a button with a wrench... push that button down....

Soon Mercedes will send the light with a man qualified to hold the light, make grumpy small talk and attend to any minor thing you needed the light for....

See they even provide a person to hold the light, but it's there.....

Justa a grinning way to look at the oversight....
Hahaha, I believe that's what Mercedes really believes should happen anyhow, since none of us would really want to look under the hood!

-s-
Old 11-25-2004, 06:45 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Build date 2-04 E500
Well.... Sometimes a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do.... No way is an automaker going to tell me what I can have or can't have..... Note how my unit is chrome, nothing but the best for my ride.

Hey scorchie... Let me know if you need part numbers and guidence for installation. I think I could have something here.
Old 11-25-2004, 08:30 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Originally Posted by HELL ONA HARLEY

Hey scorchie... Let me know if you need part numbers and guidence for installation. I think I could have something here.
Hahaha, did you know Harbor Freight tools has a "trucker chain"... did you use a real "biker chain?"

I still say replace that thing with a Surefire.

-s-
Old 11-26-2004, 12:39 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 17 Likes on 3 Posts
2004 E320
Originally Posted by scorchie
MagLites suck.

Since you all are driving Mercedes, you really should look into getting a Surefire.

-s-

I agree. Mag-lites are a piece of crap, but they make a great billy club! I love my G2 Nitrolon Surefire! Brightest flashlight I've ever used as it puts out 65 lumens! You could blind someone momentarily with these bad boys! Too bad they go through Lithium batteries like there's no tomorrow.

Last edited by W211 Ryda; 11-26-2004 at 12:50 AM.