Why no bluetooth

Search this Thread

Rate Thread

Old 12-03-2004, 09:58 PM
mhh

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
2012 MB E63 Wagon, 2012 BMW M5, 2010 Porsche 911 Turbo S, 2010 Ferrari 458
Why no bluetooth

BMW have bluetooth available on everything it seems. Is Bluetooth available on Benz? I can't find it....
Old 12-03-2004, 11:11 PM
DWP
MBWorld Fanatic!

'08 AM Vantage V8 - '03 E500
Originally Posted by mhh
BMW have bluetooth available on everything it seems. Is Bluetooth available on Benz? I can't find it....
I can't find it on mbusa.com either. Searching under "bluetooth" returns two page hits, but neither page contains "bluetooth." I hate it when that happens.

Why do you say that BMW seems to have Bluetooth on "everything", though? The bmwusa.com site is thoughtfully unsearchable, but none of the features listing for the BMW passenger car lines seem to mention "Bluetooth." The only cars I can think of offhand that come with Bluetooth are the Acura TL and RL, although there are undoubtedly others.

If BMWs have Bluetooth and M-B doesn't (and I don't know that to be a fact) it may be due to the different demographics of the two customer bases in North America. BMW customers average several years younger than M-B customers and are more likely to be in technical occupations. The users of this forum aren't necessarily typical of M-B drivers in general.
Old 12-03-2004, 11:41 PM
mhh

Sorry, to be accurate, most BMWs in Australia have bluetooth - even base 3 series. I don't know about other markets such as USA. I would have liked bluetooth on my new E500 but the salesman gave me a very blank look.

Bluetooth is no longer new technology, so it is a shame that MB don't have it. The integrated phone is not the solution - in my C32 I have a phone, but I still need a handheld as well, requiring the hassle of "no answer" diverts and the expense of an additional line.
Old 12-04-2004, 12:57 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
In this forum, there are 57 threads regarding Bluetooth and the E-class

Search result: https://mbworld.org/forums/search.php?searchid=260344

Last edited by Oslo; 12-04-2004 at 01:03 AM.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:05 AM
mhh

Thanks Oslo. Found them all now.

Disappointing reading - no Bluetooth except aftermarket - which I've had for 3 years anyhow. MB needs to lift its game in this area.
Old 12-04-2004, 06:26 AM

Originally Posted by mhh
Thanks Oslo. Found them all now.

Disappointing reading - no Bluetooth except aftermarket - which I've had for 3 years anyhow. MB needs to lift its game in this area.
I do agree with you. The only explanation I can find is that MB has a longer planning phase than the Japanese. They probably started planning the current E in 1997 - 98, and at that time there was no Bluetooth. The Japanese doesn’t have that long planning phase as they tend to alter the models each third year or something. And the BMW E60 was probably planned in 2000, and by that the Bluetooth was widely accepted. I think we will see Bluetooth integration coming from MB in the future (if nothing better comes up). I still find the innovations in the E-class superior to many other brands, but they are a little slow. Think about this: SBC brakes (in Europe they are more sophisticated then in the US), Linguatronic, Cornering headlights, solar ventilated panorama, Distronic, Airmatic, led rear lights, etc, etc. Yes, I know you can find some of this options in other brands as well, but rarely in the same car.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:15 AM

2013 w204 C350
The reason why MB dosent implement bluetooth, and will not be implementing bluetooth in the future is because they offer UltraViolet glass as an option on there cars. This being the case the antenna would not produce a signal from inside the cabin forcing one to plug in the phone for an external antenna connection. Short and sweet this is the reasoning with MB + bluetooth.

Fazooley
Old 12-04-2004, 09:34 AM

Originally Posted by fazooley
The reason why MB dosent implement bluetooth, and will not be implementing bluetooth in the future is because they offer UltraViolet glass as an option on there cars. This being the case the antenna would not produce a signal from inside the cabin forcing one to plug in the phone for an external antenna connection. Short and sweet this is the reasoning with MB + bluetooth.

Fazooley
Hmmm... My car is equipped with a Bluetooth handset from the factory. The manual states that it can be used 10 metres from the car, but says nothing about UltraViolet problems...
Old 12-04-2004, 02:47 PM
mhh

Fazooley
So no cell phone will work inside a car with UV glass without an external connection? Is that correct? Does anyone on the board have UV and a cell phone to confirm?
Old 12-04-2004, 03:52 PM

MBenz
that's one of the major disappointment. no bluetooth!. just imagine if you're in Acura TL or car with bluetooth integrated. bring your phone and bang! it's connected.
Old 12-04-2004, 09:15 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

CL500

Fazooley

what did steve tell you that or something, LOL
Old 12-05-2004, 07:34 AM

'14 E350 wagon; BMW G12 (2020) G01 (2019)
Originally Posted by mhh
So no cell phone will work inside a car with UV glass without an external connection? Is that correct? Does anyone on the board have UV and a cell phone to confirm?
IMHO, this is pure baloney. I think S class has UV glass (I couldn't use an EZ pass inside the windshield). But I did use a Parrot DriveBlue bluetooth handsfree with a Moto v600 with no problems. I now use the Parrot inside my E500 with no problems.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:16 AM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Fazooley
Pure and Absolut BULL.
Old 12-05-2004, 10:29 AM

Originally Posted by lpolo
that's one of the major disappointment. no bluetooth!. just imagine if you're in Acura TL or car with bluetooth integrated. bring your phone and bang! it's connected.
What happens when you and 3 other passengers, including your wife who often drives the car, have a bluetooth phone in their possession?
Old 12-05-2004, 10:57 AM

Originally Posted by Baby Jocko
What happens when you and 3 other passengers, including your wife who often drives the car, have a bluetooth phone in their possession?
First, the phones must be paired with the other BT device issuing the pairing code. If you bring two paired phones into the car, the first device you paired will be the first to get connected leaving the others out.
Old 12-05-2004, 12:02 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by weinschela
IMHO, this is pure baloney. I think S class has UV glass (I couldn't use an EZ pass inside the windshield). But I did use a Parrot DriveBlue bluetooth handsfree with a Moto v600 with no problems. I now use the Parrot inside my E500 with no problems.
Some S-class have IR glass. If so, you will have the "trapezoid" outline in the windshield to use your toll pass.

This IR glass WILL result in lower signal quality inside the car, whether it worked for you in NYC or not really isn't a good indication if your signal quality was affected.

Finally, Mercedes already recommends that mobile telephones not be used inside the car without an external antenna. Why would they change this recommendation just so people could use a Bluetooth phone inside the car?

-s-
Old 12-05-2004, 12:08 PM

Originally Posted by scorchie
Why would they change this recommendation just so people could use a Bluetooth phone inside the car?

-s-
Because of radiation I think. BT has very little radiation, but CDM and GSM phones are known for beeing small power plants. If operated in a small, closed room as a car cabin, radiation will/could be a problem for some people.
Old 12-24-2004, 06:42 PM
MBWorld Fanatic!

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
GL320CDI / C63 Edition 507 Coupe (EDP) / E63 S (on order) / G500 / Smart Brabus
Originally Posted by Oslo
Because of radiation I think. BT has very little radiation, but CDM and GSM phones are known for beeing small power plants. If operated in a small, closed room as a car cabin, radiation will/could be a problem for some people.
Resurrect this post!

But see... your explanation still results in a phone that is being used inside the car. The bluetooth is used between the phone and the car audio system. My point is why would Mercedes allow this to happen, when they don't recommend that a cellular phone be used inside the car. (I am not talking about the current implementation of Bluetooth in UHI/WAP, I am referring to the system everyone wishes their Mercedes has.) If you just use a Bluetooth handsfree system with the phone still inside the car, you still have radiation, you are still using a cellular phone inside the car.

So I don't think that this will be implemented, because as I said, I don't think Mercedes would change it just to allow Bluetooth handsfree systems. The antenna must be linked externally. (Which supports your point, you just didn't realize you were supporting my point.)

-s-